Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Strathpuffer, what team/kit/stuff do you realistically need?
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve never done this event, but why is this event notorious for wearing out everything on a bike ? Even when its done as a pair (so only 12 hrs riding on each bike? I don’t understand how just 12-24 hrs use can wear everything out?)

trail_rat
    Free Member

munrobiker can probably do the geology thing better but iirc its high silica mud that just grinds all down.

i used steel chainrings and cogs and suffered no issues , my mate solo’d last year and i had to do a full drive train strip down and rebuild due to cheese metal SRAM kit. Worn out his chainring to the point of major slippage, and his BB bearings had colapsed all in 12 hrs on his SS

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’ve never done this event, but why is this event notorious for wearing out everything on a bike ? Even when its done as a pair (so only 12 hrs riding on each bike? I don’t understand how just 12-24 hrs use can wear everything out?)

The mud has a special quality which makes it the best grinding paste ever invented.

meh you dont need all the gear.

Partially true, and a bit dependant on the individual.
    I really can’t tolerate digging deep in cold conditions – if I didn’t have many changes of clothes and somewhere properly warm it’d be asking to land myself in hospital. Bigger more robust person that doesn’t feel the cold so badly would get away with rather more.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The gear that’s worn out on my bike has mostly been hub bearings, brake pads, brake pistons and BBs rather than drivetrains.

The rock up there is made up of high hardness minerals that will destroy rubber seals, thus destroying bikes. After a few hours of several hundred riders riding over trails built on soil made up of these minerals eroded out of the bedrock the mud is soft, gets into your bike and ruins everything.

The gear doesn’t have to cost money- just borrow clothes and shoes and lights.

hairyscary

Having done a few stints as a ‘pit bitch’ at this god damn stupid event I would mostly agree with what TJ and Trailrat have said.
    A rider not having to think about anything is important.
    Make sure that the food you take is food you want to eat.
    Dry clothes for each time out seems to help the riders motivation and having warm puffer style clothing for rest periods helps.
    If you are going for a placing someone should be working out when riders are due out on course……..at 3am, when your brain is fuzzy this becomes difficult.
    There should be someone waiting to take the bike from a rider at the end of a lap who will have it clean and ready to go for the next one.
    Don’t overdo the amount of support crew, as you end up with support crew supporting support crew etc., one to look after food and one to look after bikes is all you need.
    Have your bike of choice (any bike will do…….singlespeed is probably best) in perfect working order before the race, rebuilding a rear xtr hub at 2am is not nice………I’m looking at you Cynic-al!

Be thankful of good support crew, it is hard work for them too.

………and I’m helping out again this year 🙁 😯 😆

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Strathpuffer, what team/kit/stuff do you realistically need?’ is closed to new replies.