Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Strathpuffer 2017 entries.
  • richpips
    Free Member

…They’re open and Tom is in. 🙂

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?elid=Y&event_id=2863

Bunnyhop

😀 yay!

epicyclo

It’s getting to be a habit.

See you there. 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

Why is the guy at the side of the track squeezing out a no2 right in front of the marshal?

epicyclo

fifeandy – Member
    Why is the guy at the side of the track squeezing out a no2 right in front of the marshal?

Where do you think warm mud comes from in winter? 🙂

franksinatra

I’m in. Solo. first time. What have I done…..

alwillis

In, as a pair with the Mrs- our first puffer.

To early to ask what tyres/kit etc??

fifeandy
    Free Member

All your tyres and all your kit is the correct answer.
    Not done it myself, but my friend is a regular.
    A) be prepared for all moving parts on bike to be destroyed.
    A2) Take several sets of brake pads.
    B) Take tyres that can deal with mud, and an ice spike as a minimum, something slicker as a 3rd option if you have it.
    C) Take all your warm bike clothing.
    D) Take all your warm off the bike clothing.
    E) Take all your lights and batteries
    E2) Take all the lights and batteries you can beg/borrow from friends.

Good luck!

epicyclo

alwillis – Member
    In, as a pair with the Mrs- our first puffer.

To early to ask what tyres/kit etc??

Take rigid singlespeeds and you won’t have to buy a complete new drivetrain after the race.

Any speed lost from being slower will be made up from time not lost in the pits. Take all your spare brake pads – you may not need them, but when you do need them, you’ll need them all. Expect every repair to take 3 times as long when your fingers are frozen sausages, your mind ceased working 12 hours ago, and you doze off for half an hour with the spanner in your hands.

If you’re bringing a complicated bike, make sure everything is perfect, otherwise it may fail during the race.
    Expect every moving part to be worn out if it’s a tough ‘Puffer – it’s been pretty easy conditions for the last 4 or 5.

And don’t forget the ice tyres.

adsh
    Free Member

Waiting list for solo – what are my chances? Won’t make any differenc to my training until November.

richpips
    Free Member

Waiting list for solo – what are my chances?

I know of a couple who just missed out on getting an entry, but ended up riding last year and the year before.

epicyclo

adsh – Member
    Waiting list for solo – what are my chances? Won’t make any differenc to my training until November.

Don’t worry, there’s always a few folk who get a rush of common sense just before the race… 🙂

mccett
    Free Member

Done it twice solo and just been entered in a pair…which I reckon will be a lot worse to deal with but will be different. 6 of us have entered as 3 pairs to have a bit of friendly competition. Trying to borrow a friends motorhome to make it a bit more bearable for my better half and our wee man.
    Tent accommodation should score you an extra lap! Good luck to all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“A) be prepared for all moving parts on bike to be destroyed”

or take the sensible option and run a Singlespeed hardtail 😀

shaungero
    Free Member

Single speed HT for me, going in a group of 4.
    Defiantly going to be a hard one but can’t wait.

See you all up there

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    “A) be prepared for all moving parts on bike to be destroyed”

or take the sensible option and run a Singlespeed hardtail

I was hoping that conclusion would be drawn…. 🙂

Are you doing it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im in the midst of changing jobs epi. I cant commit to anything atm till i see my rotation.

Adhoc atm. Came off the hill last year was driving down to the tore roundabout and my phone went bananas. Flew to turkmenistan the next day.

cynic-al
    Free Member

After 10 hours at 10UTB I’m not sure I could do a good job of this, not least do well.

I “forgot” to get an entry

alwillis

Can’t see another thread so thought I would resurrect this one. How’s everyone’s prep going?? I managed the festive 500 but mostly on the road, so as long as I can remember how the MTB works it should be ok.

As a puffer virgin I’ve started stockpiling kit- mostly of the arctic variety, but also including my wife’s bike as a spare, and a spare set of wheels. We’ve also managed to blag a t5 camper which should make life a little more comfortable.

Are the days of needing ice tyres over?? I’m 650b and haven’t seen any for a reasonable price, so hoping not to need them.

shaungero
    Free Member

I’m also a puffer virgin.

Really looking forward to it. I’m doing it in a quad team on a rigid single speed. Try get a good ride in on Thursday then strip the bike down and re grease everything. I have heard the puffer loves destroying bikes. Hopefully the weather might pass by next weekend haha.
    Good luck to everyone

fifeandy
    Free Member

Are the days of needing ice tyres over??

Depends how lucky you feel with the weather

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Strathpuffer 2017 entries.’ is closed to new replies.