Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Strathpuffer – Live results – Who are you following?
  • geoffj

Amazing effort – well done!
    That training for Guys daft escapade on the beach looks like it paid off for him too.

terrahawk
    Free Member

He was very strong all the way to the end.

Bregante

I’d say we could have a pint to celebrate tomorrow night but it looks like there’s a lack of interest this week……. 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

Yayyy I won

crazy-legs

Congratulations Jase, top effort!

/doffs hat

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ll meet y’all for a pint if there’s owt happening.

Duggan

Well played, what a fantastic acheivement

ittaika
    Free Member

Mucho congratulations Terrahawk – awesome effort! I couldn’t believe the speed some of you were doing. I’m thinking my strategy of eating a lot of Reeses peanut butter cups between laps was a mistake tbough. or maybe I didn’t have enough? Another brilliant event from the Strathpuffer team.

allthepies
    Free Member

Did Mr Martin have much to say after the event ? Presumably the first thing he did was get a brew on 😉

radoggair
    Free Member

well done Jase, great victory my boy. WEMBO could be interesting after all

nikk
    Free Member

My first ‘puffer. Thanks AlasdairMc for the support, sorry I didn’t do better. But I am happy with 14 in the bag for about 16 hours riding (I didn’t clock out for breaks).

There were lots of TV cameras there and lots of filming and interviewing. Not sure how long all that gets cut to. It’s a shame they don’t have the back episodes somewhere viewable ala More4. Also lots of photographers. Much fun.

The conditions were fine, thin layer of mud over hard rock most of the way. Was a bit icy at the start in a very few places, but not for long. A little rain and some wind, but again nothing to worry about. Didn’t feel too cold at all, in fact, I was quite warm most of the time.

I was fine for the 1st 12 hours (apart from a stumble off on the slab lap 1 due to it being full of people!). I took it _really_ easy and got 10 laps in with breaks at 4 and 8. On lap 11 I was feeling a bit empty, so I pulled in to basecamp at 11pm and promptly bonked hard… uncontrolled shivering and feeling sick . I tried to eat, then dove into the tent for 4 hours lie down. Set alarm and got up at 4.15. Got up, eat some more, lap 12 was ok but slow as hell, then lap 13 was slower still, and I ended up vomiting in the undergrown 🙂

Back to basecamp for a gell and some juice and tried to pull myself together for 14. Had a cup o tea at the checkpoint and just managed to hold it together and did lap 14 in the daylight, was most welcome and fun with the time pressure off, was able to chat to a bunch of riders on the way round. Down to the start and straight in for an egg roll and another tea.

Legs feel alright now, and felt ok round the course. Main lesson for me is I still need to learn how to keep fulled up properly.

terrahawk – well done mate, you are a total machine! 210 miles in 24 hours is immense riding. In road bike terms, that is riding Edinburgh to London in 24 hours. If you care to share any fulling tips, I’d love to hear!

Jamie
    Free Member

210 miles in 24 hours

When you put it like that and strip it down to just the numbers….’kin ‘ell 😯

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Well done Jason 2 years running.

Awesome riding, did it ever feel like Guy would catch you, or did you control it from the front all the way round?

kcal

didn’t van der Kerken win on a single speed in inaugural year, sure it was around the 22 laps at least..

many congratulations Jason, by the way ::)

epicyclo

terrahawk – Member
    Yayyy I won

And how – again done on a singlespeed! That really messes with the minds of the gearie competitors. 🙂

That was brilliant to watch from my position as the course’s mobile chicane. Thanks for all the clean passes.

I got 10 laps on my SS fatbike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Jcvdv won it on ss in year 1

John ‘shaggy’ ross also won it on ss

Adventure show were there following the deeside teams – think it was deeside puffers and the deeside divas. We had em round our house and local trails on thursday and lots of interviews throughout the event with them

My sore throat from thursday is now a full blown chest infection 🙁

We got 9th in quads on 32:18

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol. I know that was your team when I seen the name terry! Well done mate. I had to bale at 1am with a goosed knee, 10 laps. I as well pissed off, but hey ho, Next year.

epicyclo

I think we’re now at the stage where more ‘Puffers have been won on singlespeeds than with gears.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    I think we’re now at the stage where more ‘Puffers have been won on singlespeeds than with gears.

Was cool to meet you Brian, I was with klaus and Jamie when we met on the Friday afternoon.

tanglewood
    Free Member

Fantastic, Jason, well done, your the man.

devs
    Free Member

Me and ricketyrob 3rd in mixed pairs with 24 laps. We stopped at 8.30 as we thought we couldn’t catch 2nd and that 4th couldn’t catch us. They very nearly gave us a shock when they managed a 45min lap last but missed out on the 10am curfew by 5 mins. Great event again this year and the standard and fitness just keeps getting better. Well done to all!

RustySpanner

Hearty congrats to Terra for the win – remind me to buy you a pint sometime. 🙂

Twinklydave in 10th?
    Wow.
    Dave, you’re a star. 😀
    In fact, you can have Jasons pint.

fasthaggis
    arachnidlover
    Free Member

I’ll add my congratulations for Terrahawk. Fantastic effort. Makes me wish I’d taken up the chance of an entry.

210 miles in 24 hours is immense riding. In road bike terms, that is riding Edinburgh to London in 24 hours

Edinburgh to London is about 400 miles unless I’m mistaken?

Jamie
    Free Member

Edinburgh to London is about 400 miles unless I’m mistaken?

I think they meant in terms of effort. i.e 210 off road mile,s might be equivalent to 400 road miles?

…I could be way off.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Thanks mcmoonter – and well spotted! Feeling pretty broken today but pleased with our 2nd place.

It was a great event (only the 2nd 24 hour race I’ve done but really organised and well run). Thanks to all the other riders who had a chat with me on the way round, and particularly to whoever stopped around 3am and helped me pull my chain out from where it was stuck between my rear cassette and spokes, I was being far too feeble to get it out on my own!!

epicyclo

I passed by while that was going on. Lucky it wasn’t me who came to your help. My usual cure is to offer to singlespeed the bike. 🙂

(I was on the fatbike with big red mudguards)

Well done with 2nd place.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How do the other riders feel ? My chest is utter agony. I was the one hacking my lungs up all the way round every lap and spewing in the night 🙂

On the plus side i managed to get the deposit back on the camper – i was very glad none of you over cooked the fire road and rattled into it 🙂 ( it was the one with deeside motorhomes on the side at the crossover point on course,- seemed to be quite the opposite with many riders cutting the course through the cones or hitting the cones and spectators standing between the two lanes of traffic.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Ah, I think I spoke to you on the climb once epicyclo – you were telling me how you could just point it in the right direction and the tyres got you over all the bumps. Did that work? I was thinking your bike must have been great for that fast rocky descent bit which I found really painful to ride along! I don’t think I would have taken a suggestion of singlespeeding with much good grace at that point 😀

trail_rat – both me and my friend ended up with really chesty coughs aswell and I was feeling very sorry for myself as I also hurt my back (possibly from the lamest fall ever, which somehow managed to break my saddle rail so I had to ride from then on in an awkward position) and it kept on going into really painful spasms.

epicyclo

alpine girl – Member
    Ah, I think I spoke to you on the climb once epicyclo – you were telling me how you could just point it in the right direction and the tyres got you over all the bumps. Did that work?

It works when I’m not knackered. Once that happens my reactions are about half a second too late. 🙂

trail_rat – Member
    How do the other riders feel ? My chest is utter agony. I was the one hacking my lungs up all the way round every lap and spewing in the night …

I envy you. 🙂

My foolish experiment with a high calorie diet left me desperate to spew for my last 4 laps. I spent quite a bit of time rolling around at various places on the track dry retching in a foetal position trying to get rid of my guts with no success.

There was one benefit. I did learn I can do 2 laps at usual speed with no sustenance, and the next one slower, and the final one weak as a kitten. May be useful info for the next Puffer. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Anyone lost a light ?

Sorting out kit tonight and ive found an extra light – right brand wrong colour.

Was handed in to us by a guy with a ginger beard on a cove hummer

If you can name the light and the colour ill get it back to you

devs
    Free Member

*hi fives chesty cough buddies*

I think someone was burning some weird shit on that fireroad climb. 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The right hand muddy fire road corner, about 3/4 way round, there were Marshall’s at the corner, god knows what they were burning but it made me cough every time I went past.

epicyclo

I found all the smoke on the fireroad climbs a bit choking at times too. Liked the smell, but my priority was sucking oxygen.

twinklydave

Well that was fun. As it always is 🙂

Same time next year everyone?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Defo!

nikk
    Free Member

Have to agree about the smoke. Wasn’t gonna say anything as I thought it was just ‘the done thing’, but TBH it is the last thing you need when climbing a hill on a bike.

epicyclo – nice to meet you at the top of the last descent of the race!

jordie
    Free Member

The smoke was not that bad but people walking up single track climbs and not moving much out of the way is annoying.

epicyclo

While we’re whingeing 🙂

One thing it would be nice not to have to contend with was the amount of people at the start walking up the course several abreast or pushing bikes. Be nice if they waited until the last competitor had cleared off.

I’m sure the delay this caused me was the only reason I didn’t win the race… 🙂

One really nice thing though.

Today I went out to the camping area to do a litter check.

Either the organisers have already done it, or we race clean. With a very few exceptions the place was litter free, and some of that could well be from previous users.

Thanks! – it helps to keep the local community onside.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Another grumble We were at the course cross over point, the number of times i or members of our team had to pick up the cones because folks kept cutting the course and knocking them over into the paths of climbing riders.must have saved them precious seconds , still didnt help them win.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Strathpuffer – Live results – Who are you following?’ is closed to new replies.