Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • strangely calm
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

I have now gone rigid, single speed and loving every minute aided by my chunky monkey and steel frame.

Had enough of pivots, shocks and forks.

Am I alone.

DC

anyone want half a Yeti asr5 frame by the way;-)

Paceman
    Free Member

I suspect you’re not alone Darkcyan 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

live somewhere smooth then?

even the roads round here make suspension sound good at times

jameso

Not alone. Generally but not always smooth riding for me. Happy to accept simpler bikes and take the trails as they come. Speed is relative.

Hooning along on a susser is a lark too though.

Northwind

Currently don’t have a rigid bike but I will do again, they’re ace. But the only thing acer than a bike is several bikes so I don’t think I’ll ever have just a rigid.

fasthaggis

I suspect you’re not alone Darkcyan

As it took 2 days for anyone to reply,she may be more alone than she thinks 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

As it took 2 days for anyone to reply,she may be more alone than she thinks

LOL… she’s a man last time I looked 😆

mikewsmith – Member

live somewhere smooth then?

Yep, very smooth (unfortunately)

cookeaa

You’re not alone, but be warned, its a slippery slope, starts with a Rigid SS MTB and before you know you’ve become so “Back to Basics” that a Fixie seems strangely appealing…

faustus

Next stop a hairshirt…;-)

zippykona

I’ve made my telly black and white and can only get one channel.
    It’s like ,so real now.

Paceman
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

I’ve made my telly black and white and can only get one channel.
    It’s like ,so real now.

😆 😆 😆

darkcyan
    Free Member

zippykona, not gonna get cosmic on you but the thing is it’s not that different, just simpler and other worldly – you get me?

DC

oldnpastit

It’s great….until you find yourself in some proper mountains.

Going round Spain on a rigid single speed would not be much fun.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I liked it

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4AWTcR]The inbred in the mountains[/url] by thom1984, on Flickr

Paceman
    Free Member

Darkcyan is talking fully rigid, steel is real, singlespeed goodness. Perfect for short blasts on our local trails, but you’re right Oldnpastit, not the perfect tool for many areas of the UK.

simon1975

I like it too.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eiroFM]Pinkbred in Mallorca[/url] by Simon J Taylor, on Flickr

molgrips
    Free Member

Bikes for trails, bikes for riding style. If there is any ‘this is better’ guff then it’s spoken by people who know nothing about riding.

I ride FS because I have rocks.

wwaswas

Love mine, got some PB’s round Stanmer on it 🙂

So is this your weapon of choice for the Big Dog?

Paceman
    Free Member

Darkcyan, this is the question…

wwaswas – Member
    So is this your weapon of choice for the Big Dog?

darkcyan
    Free Member

could b. worried about the first hill/cliff. waiting to see what the course is. Oli Pepper recommended gears for solo riders unless you are some kind of hero.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’d agree, it’s not designed as a solo singlespeed event and is tough enough riding solo with gears. I’m hoping they take out said “cliff” climb from this year’s BigDog course, as well as climbing up the Coldean singletrack which flows much better as a descent.

Also couldn’t resist showing off mine, perfect for pavements and the local woods…

VanHalen

i rode my rigid singlespeed to work this morning (via the level skatepark) and now my wrist is knackered.

sunn bmix.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that – were you in he skatepark?

grum
    Free Member

Do you drive a car with only one gear and no suspension as well? I’ve heard it’s a much more pure and engaging experience.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have a steel ss and I have a full suspension bike with gears. Both get ridden round the Dark Peak, both are fun

Paceman
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Do you drive a car with only one gear and no suspension as well? I’ve heard it’s a much more pure and engaging experience.

Do you drive a car with a dropper post, 780mm bars, and 160mm of trail slaying travel? No of course not; this is a flawed argument 😉 . I think you’re missing the point somewhat Grum.

I agree with Podge.

As a second bike for me for short blasts round the woods, occasional commuting, and slogs through our local winter slop a rigid steel hardtail makes a perfect addition to the shed. You’d be surprised how much it has also improved your riding when you get back on the full-susser too 😈

Junkyard
    Free Member

single speed is good and i like mine

Rigid and off road is , given we have suspension, just making things less fun

YMMV but you are in a tiny minority.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Not ss (too hilly here) but love my rigid Swift – don’t really do trail centres but fine for everying in s. and mid Wales.

Swift 001 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

rudedog
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    single speed is good and i like mine

Rigid and off road is , given we have suspension, just making things less fun

YMMV but you are in a tiny minority.

Less fun? You might not be able to go as fast on some terrain but that doesn’t mean you cant enjoy it just as much.

wwaswas

worried about the first hill/cliff

I wouldn’t be – I pushed up it every time last year with gears – I timed it after and I lost about 2 minutes over riding it but didn’t knacker myself out so probably gained more than that over the rest of the lap.

Currently having my own ‘what bike’ dilemma for this year. Maybe if I get enough time in on my Puffin fat bike when it arrives I could use that but may just stick a triple on my 29er and use that (or a 30t front ring?)

kcal

Rigid SS here; not exactly smooth (the terrain, nor my riding) but I like it.

Old school bike as well, Kilaeua, so V brakes, narrow (2.1s are absolute limit) tyres.

cookeaa

Have you ever been Karting?
    Its the absolute Tits!

Sometime having a minimum of technical complexity produces something far more enjoyable and engaging than throwing money at a posh toy with bells and whistles only to find it all a bit Meh…

VanHalen

Sorry to hear that – were you in he skatepark?

for a bit till my wrist hurt too much. i think being a mouse wielding desk jocky and using suss forks all the time has made me soft. i havent ridden the bmix outside of the pumptrack for about 2 years!

Paceman
    Free Member

Darkcyan, you should check out http://stoogecycles.co.uk … Great looking steel frame built around the same philosophy of keeping the ride real and avoiding all the unnecessary tech.

rOcKeTdOg

Oli Pepper recommended gears for solo riders unless you are some kind of hero.

isn’t that the point of only having one gear? & the beard obvs

Paceman
    Free Member

Darkcyan has no beard… Yet. He is new to the single gear world.

Plenty of tough men were tackling BigDog singlespeed last year. I was not one of them 😳

breadcrumb

I ride F/S geared and rigid/HT SS (swap forks now and again).

Both have their advantages. I just need to accept I’m slower over rough ground when rigid, it does make me pick smoother lines though, which helps me be a little quicker on the F/S.

DrP

Wwaswas, DC etc… Fancy coming a few miles along the coast for a bit of a single speed play around sometime soon?

You may even recognise my bike 😉

DrP

hora
    Free Member

Riding in jts purist form OP.

Paceman
    Free Member

DrP, whereabouts are you? We’re Brighton & Hove based.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘strangely calm’ is closed to new replies.