Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Strange things you've read in bike magazines
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I just just browsing a copy of MBR on the bog, and noticed on the letters page that a reader had picked them up for offering conflicting advice re. SPDs vs flat pedals.

Their response was that "SPDs encourage people into the sport".

Do they? Really? I'm a bit sceptical about that, but happy to be put straight.

sofatester
    Free Member

Magazine in ######## shocker!

😉

clubber
    Free Member

Where to start…

Almost any material science stuff that's clearly been cobbled together from various press releases mixed into word of mouth myths.

Shorter stems automatically make any bike ride better. As do wider bars

Platform damping that doesn't affect small bump compliance.

Junkyard
    Free Member

apparently some people have mountain bikes with no gears and this was not in the April edition 😯

donks
    Free Member

Chakaping…thread hijack but YGM.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That steel bikes have a noticable 'zing'/flex/compliance to them.

Bollocks, on road I can tell the difference, and the frames can still be stiff enough, off road frames just fit into varying levels of noodlyness, with 3lb steel frames at one end, and cannondale hardtails at the other.

Reasons to buy steel:
    Cheep (if its not, seriously question your reasoning for buying it)
    If it survives the impact once it will do it indefinately (so its good for my trail bike which also takes trips to the BMX track and dirt jumps)
    I think they look better

Then again, a well designed 6.something lb aluminium frame would probably be just as good.

Rich_s

Tapered steerers are the new sliced bread/better than anything ever/etc…

clubber
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – is that all meant to be BS or just the first line?

If you're saying the first line is BS and then the rest is your comments, you're wrong 😉

If it survives the impact once it will do it indefinately (so its good for my trail bike which also takes trips to the BMX track and dirt jumps)

Material science fail 😉 Steel has a fatigue life. It just also has a fatigue limit which aluminium for example doesn't. Suggest some googling on 'Fatigue limit'

Do you work for MBR? 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Strange things you've read in bike magazines’ is closed to new replies.