Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Strange noises from the seatpost area…
  • tmb467
    Free Member

When I press on the back there’s a loud crack – and when I pull up again it does the same

Don’t think the saddle is cracked – thought it might be the seatpost head slipping

Will I die if I ignore it?

scaredypants

grit in the runners/rails

tmb467
    Free Member

Don’t think so – it’s a veritable crack

I’ve had em off and cleaned down and can’t see any sign of damage to the saddle or the rails but its an old post so thought it might be slippage

robido

had this with a raceface. it was the glued joint between tube and head

tmb467
    Free Member

Cheers – sounds reasonably terminal when it happens and doesn’t inspire confidence when the seat slips back

eskay

I had a similar occurrence but I think it was a curry I ate.

enfht
    Free Member

Rubbing goose fat into your groin helps. Not with the seatpost squeaking, but it helps.

tmb467
    Free Member

If my saddle starts to smell when it happens next ill mebbe lay off the curry the night before I ride!

tmb467
    Free Member

Would a swan do?

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

In a serious note it’s really likely to be the seat rails moving every so slightly against the clamp.

Most of my saddles do it after a dry spell, and ti seems the worst for it. You rock the saddle backward and it cracks and push the other way and it cracks again.

Its just movement in the saddle rails, take the saddle off, clean the rails and then wipe some grease or carbon compound on the rails. Reassemble and toruq up, it’ll be fine 🙂

trailzilla
    Free Member

Mine does this, a proper ‘crack’ rather than a squeak.

I managed to stave it off by taking the seat post out, standing it upside down and spraying WD40 into the 4 points where the seat rails connect to the saddle, and around the points where the seatpost grips the rails. Lave it overnight and it usually quiets it down for a while.

I’ve got that mahoosive hope seatpost which seams pretty solid, so i’m pretty sure its the saddle rails to saddle seat connection that makes the noise.

Maybe 29 inch wheels would help… 😛

gonzy
    Free Member

if your seat post is a micro adjust with 2 bolts securing the rails check all those parts…it happened to me once when i went over a pot hole….i thought it was the dry seat rails and didnt check it until i took it to llandegla a few weeks later…it turned out one of the cylinder bolts had cracked and the whole assembly fell apart 2 miles into the red route, meaning i had to continue without a saddle and seatpost… 😯

rocketman
    Free Member

The only time I had a noise like this was when the seat tube was cracking from the inside out. The seat post was well in the min insertion point but not much beyond the top tube/seat tube junction. Just saying.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Strange noises from the seatpost area…’ is closed to new replies.