Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Strange noise – is this going to be expensive?
  • Green

There is a worrying tinging noise coming from my forks, as if there is something loose inside. The forks are Revelation U-Turn coils.

I noticed it whilst out riding the other day, it’s not happening when the fork compresses, only if you hold the bars and then drop the front wheel onto the ground if you see what I mean?

I also found the compression lockout doesnt work consistently, at first it was working fine, then i had the bike upside down to get the wheel out, but when I turned it back over the forks wouldnt lock-out, eventually they did, and the lockout now seems to function correctly.

My first thought was that I had ridden with the forks locked and somehow damaged the lockout, but the forks have a floodgate, so presumably even if I was riding with the forks locked out, and took a reasonable hit it would just blow open the floodgate, so wouldnt damage the forks?

Anyone experienced anything similar?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

turning the bike over can move the oil around in the damping cartridge meaning the lockout won’t work. After it his the right way up and compressed a few times it will be fine. Normal behaviour I think

stevepitch
    Free Member

Cant help with the tinging noise but you sure its not coming fromt he wheel rather then the forks?

Regsrding the lock out I’ve exprienced somthing similar with the wifes bike. I thought it was just where the oil on the damping side has moved into the chamber of the turnkey damper, you then lock it out with the oil inside meaning theres less oil in the leg meaning nothing for the damper to resist against hence doesnt work. Open the dmaper and the oil floods to the lower portion of the leg and appears to work again normally.

*TJ beat me to it and expressed it in far fewer words 😀

Does that make sense?

Green

TJ, Steve – Thanks, that makes sense, the lock-out seemed to fix itself after I had righted the bike and moved the lock-out and floodgate dials around a few times.

The noise is deffinately not the wheel, I took that out, and held all the cables etc to make sure nothing was knocking.

With the wheel out if I tap the fork leg (the side with the lockout) I get the same noise.

nedrapier

definitely not a loose headset? Just trying to get through the list of possibles before you take the forks apart.

Green

I couldn’t feel any play in the headset, but as you say worth a closer look before taking the fork apart.

glenh
    Free Member

‘Lockout’ not working after being upside down = normal (oil is in the wrong place).

Tinging noise = probably just the spring hitting the inside of the fork leg.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Strange noise – is this going to be expensive?’ is closed to new replies.