Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Strange cracking/pinging noise from the rear wheel
  • PJay
    Free Member

I have an odd creaking/pinging noise that I can’t track down; I think that it’s coming from the rear wheel. It occurs when lightly pedaling, often not long after changing gear. It’s never there under load or when the rear wheel’s being bounced around (so probably not an axle issue).

There are no obviously rubbing or loose spokes, the cassette is nice and tight (I took this off last night and refitted). It could be hub/freehub related (Hope Pro II Evo) but there’s no grinding or roughness suggesting that a bearing has gone.

Any thoughts as to what to look at next?

PJay
    Free Member

Anyone?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Pawls shifting into place? Could be a sign of damage, or dirt, or merely wear. Many hubs it’s quite easy to get at them for a clean and lube (light oil not grease).

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d just pop the freehub off and have a look at the pawls, though I’d expect more noise under load if that was the issue

Worth ruling out though

PJay
    Free Member

I might give that a go, thank you. I think that will the Hope Pro II Evos, once the driveside spacer is off the freehub just pulls off.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Does the noise disappear when you stop pedaling?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Strange cracking/pinging noise from the rear wheel’ is closed to new replies.