Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Strange car noise (Mondeo TDCi)
  • highclimber
    Free Member

My Mk3 2007 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi has developed a strange noise when changing up though the gears above 2k revs. It’s kind of like a squeak like a finger on a mirror. it’s more prominent when at higher revs and only does it changing up. I’ve noticed it also does it if I accelerate and take my foot off the gas, also at higher revs.

Any ideas as forums seem to indicate expensive diagnoses involving the DMF and clutch bearings!

Mintman
    Free Member

My first thought was clutch bearing. Does it make a continuous squeak/hum noise when you press the clutch pedal in (stationary at idle type thing)?

cardo

hmmm I’d suspect the clutch, needs a proper non forum mechanics opinion though TBH

highclimber
    Free Member

Does it make a continuous squeak/hum noise when you press the clutch pedal in (stationary at idle type thing)?

No, it’s only apparent when I start to press the clutch and then fades quickly. it’s quite quiet at the moment

Mintman
    Free Member

Well it’s similar symptoms (noises anyway) to when the clutch release bearing started to fail on my Focus. Started as a small squeaky noise and ended up as a constant hum/whine when you pressed the clutch pedal in.

It took a long time to fail entirely and, as above, a mechanic’s opinion is worth getting as im only going on my limited experience.

Neil-S
    Free Member

Sounds more like turbo noise to me.

When you lift the throttle, the engine slows and consumes less air. Your turbo is still trying to ram air into the engine and it slows rapidly.

I’ve had two TDCi Mondeos, the first was quiet but my current one (which the previous owner removed the catalytic converter from) is pretty vocal.

Unless you’re using the clutch when you “accelerate and take my foot off the gas”, I doubt very much it’s a release bearing.

highclimber
    Free Member

Sounds more like turbo noise to me.

I did think it sounded more like a dump valve type noise that you hear on some boy racer cars. Do you reckon it’s something to worry about or just leave it be?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

my guess would be clutch release bearing.

nut as i said thats just a GUESS

andydicko
    Free Member

Common in most Fords, it’s the friction material on the clutch plate that squeals when drive is taken up. No detriment to the car, just can be very annoying.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

i had a petrol one that used to do exactly same, was something to do with cambelt tensioner/pulley bearing. not sure if diesel has cambelt or timing chain but could be similar

stuarty
    Free Member

Andydick0 ypu full of sheet..
    Noisey clutch material
    One day you will understand what the means

timber

Not one I’ve encountered with mine yet. If it’s a whistle, I’d associate it with the turbo and intake system. If it is a squeal I’d lean towards clutch bearing, having said that my last one collapsed without warning.

andydicko
    Free Member

stuarty – Member
    Noisey clutch material

stuarty – you have no idea who I am and what I do, so why don’t you stop being a c@ck……..

It is a fact that the clutch material on Fords squeaks/squeals as the clutch starts to wear…. I’m an Aftersales Manager for Ford mate, we replace loads of them!!! Fact.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Don’t fry me for this but its not the clutch return spring in the pedal box is it?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Noisey clutch material

Only when you come back and translate it into English.

Grimy
    Free Member

My old mans got an 07 plate 2.0 TDCi too. Its just done 150k miles and It’s been making the same squeek as you gear down for a little while now and its getting slightly worse. Having researched the ford forums, its tyipcal of a failing dual mass flywheel. If it does it as you let off the gas too, and thus winding the dual mass up, its probably a safe bet.

I pulled the starter motor out following a surgestion on one of the ford forums and surely enough, there was a fair amount of iron fillings knocking about thats coming off the flywheel. Its just a matter of time now before it fails. Ive been quoted £750 to have it done at a good independant garage.

Fingers crossed yours is just a squeeky clutch, but from what Ive read from other ford mechanics, the squeek you describe is usually the dual mass. Can you hear any ratteling from the box when stationary? With it out of gear, and sometimes with the clutch peddal sligtly depressed, you can hear the thing shaking itself to bits.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Strange car noise (Mondeo TDCi)’ is closed to new replies.