Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Straightening a mech hanger
  • sweepy
    Free Member

Just got a branch caught in my rear mech. At a first glance it appears I may have got away with just bending the slidey dropout (looks about 7mm steel, orange p7)
    Im out for a ride tomorrow, how accurate does it need to be, if I put it on the vice anvil and tap it flat with the universal adjuster is it likely to be good enough? Precision is not my middle name.

wwaswas

that should be enough as long as the mount is straight.

tbh, as long as the gears change ok then it’s ok.

bear in mind it will be weaker now. Might be worth carrying a spare hanger or getting one of those emergency ones if it’ll fit?

edlong
    Free Member

I’ve had passable results in the past using the “bash it with a rock until it looks straight” approach.

That said, I’m a mechanical disaster area generally, so hopefully better advice will be along in a minute.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lining up by sight works for me, I couldn’t say what that tolerance is.

IMO an adjustsble is a good tool. 7mm steel is thick/strong though! Usually sliding dropouts are aluminium.

If its not right, the gears may still shift right but you can put the chain into the spokes.

sweepy
    Free Member

Ah shite you’re right, its ally. Oh well, i’ll give it a go but order a new one I think.

cynic-al
    Free Member

They rarely break on straightening IME

darrenspink
    Free Member

Order a new one. Tried sorting one out just the other week and it just wasn’t right. Gear shifting was crap.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Tried to straighten mine in a vice……it’ll get you by, but it’s not “right”. Bought a new one.

sweepy
    Free Member

Well ever the optimist i’ll give it a go. Thanks all.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

If you can get some heat onto it from a blowtorch before, that’s always a useful assist.
    Also a reason not to buy a Ti frame without a replaceable hanger…

yup, wouldn’t buy a Burls again…

cynic-al
    Free Member

They wont fix it?

Sure is thin around the mech hole thing.

jock-muttley

If its steel and integral to the frame get it to an LBS and get it aligned PROPERLY otherwise it will be a total pig to set up indexing.

If its a replaceable one then just replace it, its sacrificial component and its done its job. We had a nightmare job with a customers new bike that would drop its gear indexing after 30 miles without fail, turns out he’d dropped it in the garage and it had bent the hanger, he’d straightened it but omitted to tell us that wee fact (it was just out and no more) but as it had been bent what would happen is that it would flex with use thus the indexing would go. Replaced the hanger end of problem.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve had some success with sorting out slightly bent ones by (with rear mech on) putting an Allen key in the attaching bolt and using it as a bit of a lever while pushing the hanger back. Slight chance of knackering the rear mech though I guess so I’ve only ever done it when out on a ride. I’d just buy a new one otherwise.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

They wont fix it?

Sure is thin around the mech hole thing.

Offered to try and get me a new drop out but wouldn’t repair it. I tried to then get the drop out and no reply.
    Yup, very thin isn’t it. Too thin.

Had a repair quote from Enigma which was viable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Straightening a mech hanger’ is closed to new replies.