Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Straight steerer forks, any options at all?
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

I need 150/ 160 travel with 1 1/8th straight steerer. I can’t see any options bar an expensive fox 36 with an even more expensive steerer swap.

Any ideas? Has the pike always been tapered?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I suspect used is your only option here. I might just know where to get some too…

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

here

Sorry just noticed out of stock at crc

Trimix
    Free Member

I have some recently serviced Fox 36’s which I was going to put up for sale. Email me if your interested.

rossburton
    Free Member

I was about to say the Revelation still comes in straight steerer, but the Merlin product page says it was discontinued last month.

https://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-revelation-rct3-solo-air-forks-26-65781.html is what I bought in December, and it can be travel adjusted to 150mm with a simple part swap.

Maybe try LoCo, they might have some left still?

nedrapier

German sites might be worth a try. They seem to be getting some RockShox models in straight steerer that don’t show up on UK sites

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Lots of brand new and used old model Lyriks knocking around on ebay, german suppliers and some uk suppliers.

Get a coil one of those, and when you can afford it upgrade it with a charger damper. You will have a better performing fork than most off the shelf units then.

Simon

Alltricks have 170mm straight steerer Lyriks .
    Think you can still get 150mm 1 1/8″ Sektors for a budget option.

jim
    Free Member

I have some “brand new” 2012 Revelation RLs that were bought for a project I’m realistically never going to complete. White, 15mm axle.

Drop me an email if interested.

chipkorea
    Free Member

I had a similar issue recently and went down the second hand option.

HOWEVER – and please correct me if I am wrong – it appears that –

(1) Straight steerers on a fair few different models are still available as options if you go to the Fox website.

(2) If you want a specific Fox Fork the speak to your local Fox dealer and get them to quote and order it for you. (CRC only suitable if you want to buy whatever forks they happen to have).

kayla1
    Free Member

Suntour Durolux- 35mm stanchions, adjustable & stiff as owt 🙂 £350-ish new.

asbrooks

From France

All Tricks

Might be able to get them lowered

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Buy a second hand pair?

munkyboy
    Free Member

Wow there isn’t much around. I am looking to replace some fox 36s which you can no longer get parts for. My option seems to be lyriks which have 10mm more travel and 15mm axle to crown, or go for cheap and puny with sektors. I can’t believe that these are my only options for new forks (the suntours are nearly a pound heavier). Looking through the sheer number of fork size and standards options you can see the industry is a chuffin mess.

Macgyver

Oi, Trimix, I put dibs on those for the Tandem. Have you forgotten ?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The Lyriks can easily be dropped down to 160mm with either a 160mm spring assembly or some all travel spacers….

go for the Lyriks, then update them with a charger damper when you can.

How old are the Fox 36s? My old mans 08 Fox 36 Vans are still going strong and are completely servicable

soobalias
    Free Member

^ my 08 Fox 36 vans are still going strong…still need the blue spring really but hey-ho

1timmy1
    Free Member

My other half has a bike with a straight steerer so I bought a FSA Orbit ITA headset which allows the use of tapered forks in a straight steerer headtube. Opened up more options for upgrading the fork. She hasn’t ridden it yet but it should be fine. I did read the headset may not work on all bikes so check before you buy.

rossburton
    Free Member

Holy crap that headset is awesome. Glad it wouldn’t have fitted my bike to be honest.

Trimix
    Free Member

MacGyver – oh yes, your right you did 🙂

I will strip the bike down soon and let you know. Probably on the weekend as it looks like it will rain a lot.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Straight steerer forks, any options at all?’ is closed to new replies.