Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • stovists.., opinions please!
  • ed34
    Free Member

getting a stove in to replace our rubbish looking real flame gas fire.

We’ve narrowed it down to 2,

jotul f100 (but probably with plain door without the arches) Norwegian

other is a new model, a DG ivar (Dutch)

Both about same price, jotul is all cast iron with 10 year warranty, Ivar is steel with cast door and 2 yr warranty

Anyway, is there much difference in how well a stove works between an model thats been around for years and a new model? I mean how much evolution of ‘a fire in a box’ can there be?!

Predictably i like one of them and the wife likes the other….

anyone got either of these?

footflaps

Top one looks a bit too ‘twee’ for my taste….

Stoner
    Free Member

no personal experience of those stoves, but in respect to materials, read this and consider which method of heating suits your needs better

http://www.woodburnerswales.co.uk/material.php

convert

Cast iron with a longer warranty would seem a winner but aesthetically the 2nd wins hands down for me (even if the first one didn’t have the silly door).

That didn’t really help did it!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not going to give an opinion on which to get but Jotul have been around a long time and make good stoves.
    I have an F100 in the barn awaiting some TLC and it’s proper solid.
    Never heard of the other make.
    Which do you prefer the look of?

djambo
    Free Member

we’ve got a jotul – looks like the one you’ve pictured but likely a slightly older version.

as sharkbait says it is rock solid, top quality. easy to adjust with a great draft and kicks out loads of heat. my father has struggled with a lesser known brand and is thinking about replacing it with a jotul.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Stoner that link is fairly poor.

in the case of steel stoves the heat is lost very quickly when the fire goes out.

Very quickly? That needs putting into context… they still take hours to cool down, plus if you’ve let the fire go out it’s a fair assumption that you no longer need the heat. They also omit the fact that cast will take longer to radiate the heat when first lit.

Steel stoves can also work with a convecting heat. These stoves usually have twin walls

Not ‘usually’ at all – steal is easier to use to make a convector heater but there are more non-convectors and convectors made of steel.

They forgot to mention that cast stoves can crack and leak (which is generally pretty tough to fix) whilst steel basically cannot crack (may warp in extreme conditions but will remain structurally sound).

trail_rat
    Free Member

didnt know draft was a desirable thing – draft is where you have air coming in your chimney – possibly making smoke blow back into the room when the doors open.

do you mean draw ? in which case thats your chimney providing that.

great stove on a shit chimney = shit hard to light fire,.

reasonable stove on a good chimney = workable fire.

shit stove on a shit chimney = nightmare.

Stoner
    Free Member

steel are usually cheaper too (except for those Clarke abominations)

I think they over simplified too and didnt cover thermal mass differing between the two types as well as SHC.

But I think you get the point.

ed34
    Free Member

Wife prefers the jotul I like the cleaner look of the other one, buy the fact that that the jotul is a trusted model which has been around for years and with the ten year guarantee is persuading me it might be the sensible choice. That’s sort of why I was wondering what, if anything, improves over the years with stoves, apart from just the outside aesthetics?

djambo
    Free Member

do you mean draw ? in which case thats your chimney providing that.

yes, i mean draw!

sharkbait
    Free Member

steel are usually cheaper too

m’lud I give you Clearview Stoves.

graemethejock

Another vote for clearview..expensive but worth every penny.love mine..

Edukator
    Free Member

The Jotuls have evolved a little over the years. The air flow has been improved to improve combustion, the air on some models can’t be shut down too far so they get approval for clean air areas. The F100 can be had with a simpler door without the arcades which you might find less fussy.

I bought the F602 because we cook on it. It’s difficult to compare with other stoves I’ve used because the chimney has so much influence. I reckon it burns pine hotter and cleaner than anything else I’ve used but that’s quite a subjective view.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Of the two, Jotul

On the basis that the in laws have two Jotuls (F3 IIRC) and they appear to work very well. They’re pricey lumps of metal, though.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m currently looking at getting a kachelofen in my house.
    There’s not so many installers in the uk so it will be probably cheaper to get a German or Austrian firm to do it.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Get a Clearview if you like sending loads of heat up the chimney, both the Ivar and Jotul are far better, you would not be disappointed with either.
    I used to own a clearview and have used a lot of different stoves.

lakesrider
    Free Member

That Ivar looks great, we’re looking for a stove too and am tempted by that. Can’t find much info on the Web about them though.

Twinw4ll – I’m guessing by the name you might be in the stove trade?! Have you any info / experience with DG stoves? Only info I could find was from a site called stovefittersmanual
    and he reckons it’s the best stove he’s seen! But not sure if that’s an unbiased opinion or not!

timmer
    Free Member

Stuck between the 2? worth looking at the Scan 4-5 with 100mm legs, Danish stove, top quality, uk distribution owned by Jotul uk, just saying.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What would a typical flue temperature with a clearview under normal use be then if its sending so much heat up the chimney ?

How does a jotul keep more heat in the room without letting flue temperature drop ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘stovists.., opinions please!’ is closed to new replies.