Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • stovetop coffee maker – is it wrong..
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting. I’m going low on scoops, thought it was lacking in oomph!

IA

I basically follow this with an aeropress. https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/aeropress

Interesting, that would give a more bitter taste I imagine, though stronger coffee (for the volume of beans) as you’re sitting the water quite a while.

The thing I like about the aeropress is you can make decent flavoured coffee with very little sitting about in the water, so it’s not bitter at all, gives a very different taste which I like sometimes.

So I’m 2 scoops, number three water, stir for ten and get it plunged.

This isn’t an efficient cup of coffee in terms of how much you need per cup, but I like the taste. Prefer a less fruity bean, but YMMV.

molgrips
    Free Member

Espresso isn’t especially strong, as the water’s not in the coffee for long. Strong coffee – you want filter/drip.

Of course, there’s a difference between strong in taste, and strong in caffeine.

With Aeropress, I follow the instructions and top up with hot water if I want a mugful.

MrSmith
    Free Member

19.5g, 200ml, 1min, inversion method for aeropress.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m like “WoW” at how much coffee you guys are using. There seems to be a lot of cramming into the small pods then ramming, and adding more!

Do yo float out of the house on a morning?

I use an espresso machine 3/4 times a week max, black or white depending on what my taste buds feel like.

I’ve a stove top and Gaggia too, mostly use the Gaggia..

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Every morning I have one large mug (Came with an Easter egg in it) of coffee from the stove top ‘expresso’.

Lavazza ground coffee pressed into fill the filter.
    Hot/boiled water from the kettle and then on a moderate heat

No milk, no water, no sugar

I haven’t died yet

nemesis
    Free Member

yet… 😉

Anyway, stovetop to make a mug full with some milk in was brilliant in my 24hr racing days – really sorted me out after waking up.

And FWIW, I always use boiled water if possible – quicker and by my reckoning if anything it should give better coffee as you’re heating the whole thing (including the ground coffee) for less time.

thenorthwind

So are most people using their Aeropress to make a large quantity (i.e. mugful) of coffee, brewed for a while, and drinking it straight rather than a small shot and topping up with water?

Doesn’t that defeat the point of an Aeropress?

mtbfix

Got a stovetop pot for my birthday. Makes lovely coffee but the thing dribbles when you pour. Most annoying in this day and age that we’ve not yet perfected the non drip pouring device.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Got a stovetop pot for my birthday. Makes lovely coffee but the thing dribbles when you pour. Most annoying in this day and age that we’ve not yet perfected the non drip pouring device.

User error?
    My Bialetti doesn’t drip.

jimmy

I had an aeropress for work briefly but wisnae at all impressed, always tested sour, even with fresh coffee.

Cougar

Lavazza ground coffee pressed into fill the filter.

You’re not supposed to tamp it down. Not sure of the logic, something to do with pressure. Knowing you, it’ll probably explode one day.

IA

So are most people using their Aeropress to make a large quantity (i.e. mugful) of coffee, brewed for a while, and drinking it straight rather than a small shot and topping up with water?

No – my method above gives basically a slightly-long double espresso.

My OH prefers either a single scoop, no 1 water then top up with hot to make a cup, or single scoop and fill to no4 and press that through.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its often quicker to ask on here than to google it but I have a stove top espresso thing but the gaps between the bars on my gas hob are just slightly too far apart to balance it over the burner. Any solutions?

Gotama
    Free Member

Yes, you can buy a little metal reducer. google ‘gas hob reducer’ and plenty will come up.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Its often quicker to ask on here than to google it but I have a stove top espresso thing but the gaps between the bars on my gas hob are just slightly too far apart to balance it over the burner. Any solutions?

http://www.amazon.co.uk

Cougar

Ah – that may answer an earlier question. See the comments about a heat spreader on the previous page. (And, Googling, it looks to be the case.)

pjbarton
    Free Member

Be honest now, Biatelli gets the coffee too hot doesn’t it.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Perfect, thanks guys!

Gotama
    Free Member

Yes indeed. Cougar, meet Rockhopper. He needs what you have and don’t want.

bikebouy
    Free Member

In the stove top I never pad the coffee, simply scoop out one and a bit scoops. Gaggia I do though because it is an espresso machine.

toby1

Surely putting cold in, leaving it to very slowly heat (as in the lowest the gas will go, surely no STW has an electric hob – heathens) the coffee and allow the smell to fill the kitchen is the only way, the smell is part of the ritual isn’t it?

I’m quite new to coffee, but I believe any milk or sugar just negates the flavours of the coffee so drinking it this way is essentially missing the point. If you are going to be obsessive over something at least do it properly, surely?

hugo
    Free Member

We had an expresso espresso machine where I used to work.

People used to make a long coffee/americano by putting filter coffee, or pods, in and running it until the mug was full. Everyone was happy because even then it tasted better than instant.

The look of horror when I ran a shot of espresso and topped it up with hot water!

DrJ

I had an aeropress for work briefly but wisnae at all impressed, always tested sour, even with fresh coffee.

Good thing about aeropress in work kitchen is that it makes no mess for colleagues to moan about.

IA

You want a trivet. Something like:

molgrips
    Free Member

I believe any milk or sugar just negates the flavours of the coffee so drinking it this way is essentially missing the point

I vehemently disagree with this. If you like black coffee, then fine, drink it, enjoy it.

But if you like a latte, then go ahead and drink them too. The quality of the coffee DOES strongly affect the flavour of the finished beverage, of course it does. As does the quality of the milk!

As for missing the point – the point of coffee, in case you lot have forgotten, is to drink something you like. And if that’s lattes, then drink lattes.

There is no ‘proper’, that’s just a term used by snobs to divide themselves between their perceived stratum and the oiks below. Why do they do that? Who knows, but perhaps it’s something to do with needing to feel above the majority…

thenorthwind

No – my method above gives basically a slightly-long double espresso.

I guess I wasn’t including you in “most.” You seem to be in some sort of halfway house – which is fair enough if it works for you.

My OH prefers either a single scoop, no 1 water then top up with hot to make a cup, or single scoop and fill to no4 and press that through.

These are two quite different ways of making coffee though. Second method seems to somewhat defeat the point of the Aeropress, though it’ll still be “better” (less bitter) than brewed.

nemesis
    Free Member

Have to agree with molgrips on this.

Cougar

Yes indeed. Cougar, meet Rockhopper. He needs what you have and don’t want.

Sadly, I may have thrown it out. I’ll have a look, it’s yours if it turns up (but I’m not hopeful).

IA

Second method tastes a bit less “thin” (not the right word but best description I can think of) than the first IMO. As you say, less bitter than brewed. Though sometimes bitter is good!

TBH I don’t tend to stick to one way of making a cup, I like that I can get a different beverage by treating the same basic ingredients in different ways (always black, no sugar for me though).

Different strokes for different folks, it’s all good.

thenorthwind

Agreed on all points. Sometimes bitter IS good, hence my quotes around “better” as defined as less bitter. Viva la difference and all that. More ways = more fun.

bob_summers

19.5g, 200ml, 1min, inversion method for aeropress.

Are there different sizes of aeropress? I don’t measure but doesn’t seem like it’d hold 200ml inverted. Haven’t got mine here to check.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘stovetop coffee maker – is it wrong..’ is closed to new replies.