Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stoves on a 12mm Hearth
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Morning people,

I’m currently in the midst of picking a stove to be installed in our conservatory. As there is no constructional hearth in there I assume I’m limited to a 12mm hearth?

Can anyone recommend a stove that’s suitable for a 12mm hearth? I’m finding it hard to single out these stoves from the rest. Must also be DEFRA approved.

Out conservatory is approx 20ft long by 12ft wide. It’s 3 meters tall and colder than the arctic in the winter. The higher the output the better.

Thanks

Alphabet

Out of interest as we’ve been thinking of putting a stove in our conservatory, why are you limited to a 12mm hearth? Can’t you just stick something thicker down?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I might be wrong. I really need to ask an expert but its near impossible to speak to someone! I’ve left messages and emails with 4 different people and not one has come back to me…

I was thinking the extra weight of a big thick hearth and the stove would be too much for a non constructional floor area? We could pull up the floorboards and fill it up with concrete but that sounds expensive and difficult.

footflaps

Try phoning Building Control?

Given you could put a Grand Piano in there, I can’t see an issue with a 20mm hearth….

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m sure a 20mm one would be fine.

Regulations say that the hearth must be 250mm thick though

Alphabet

I was thinking the extra weight of a big thick hearth and the stove would be too much for a non constructional floor area? We could pull up the floorboards and fill it up with concrete …

Thanks for the explanation. We’ve got tiles on a concrete floor so should be OK.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The stove will need a hearth exemption certificate.
    It’s the heat NOT the weight that’s the problem.

rondo101
    Free Member

You need to look for stoves that are rated to heat the hearth to 100 degrees or less.

There is a term you need to search for, which I’ve unfortunately forgotten, to find the right stove. I didn’t know this first time round & ended up with a very basic one as it was the only one I could find with the right rating (Stovax Stockton 5 ML). It burned through wood at an alarming rate!
    In the new house we took advice & discovered there were loads of others. This time I’ve got a Morso 04, which is much better.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Well I’ve spent ALL day searching the internet and finally narrowed it down to one of these Ekol stoves.

http://www.defrastoves.com

Seem to get reasonably good reviews and tick all the boxes – 12mm hearth, Defra etc. Local supplier and installer not too far from me either so might pop down for a chat tomorrow.

Either the Ekol Clarity or the Ekol Crystal. Both come in 5 / 8 / 12KW. One is Cast Iron and the other Steel / Cast iron door.

Would I be right in thinking that the higher the KW rating the quicker i’d be going through wood?

paulx
    Free Member

Might be able to help you here .. I’ve got a Brosley Serrano 7 Multi Fuel stove 7Kw about to go on Ebay – Hardly used more less as new, in Cheshire. According to Defra its on their list as approved. Shout if you want some pictures – email in profile.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Thanks Paul, just sent you an email

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stoves on a 12mm Hearth’ is closed to new replies.