• This topic has 19 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ski.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stove Top Fans
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

In true STW orm I’m currently having a wood burner installed as we speak.

It’s 8kw and in a conservatory measuring approx 20ft x 12ft.

Can anyone recommend one of those stove top fans? Anything in particular to look for?
    There’s loads out there, massively vary in price too!

Share your thoughts with me!

Harry_the_Spider

I got one of ebay for about £50. It works for me.

thehustler
    Free Member

We have this one ontop of our 8KW stove, advised by our installer (but not sold by him) apparently the 4 blades moves the air more efficiently

martinhutch

I’ve got a Valiant sitting in my garage. Not allowed to put it on the woodburner any more, apparently it will encourage the cats to jump on it and be variously burned and sliced to death.

Worked very nicely before we got cats. 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

apparently it will encourage the cats to jump on it and be variously burned and sliced to death.

Can my neighbour borrow it? His cat craps in my garden.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i have one of the 4 blade valiant ones too. it seems to be very good.

poolman
    Free Member

thanks for the link – I am after a stove top fan so will get one. cheers

doris5000

apparently it will encourage the cats to jump on it and be variously burned and sliced to death.

anyone else got any TAILS (ahaha) of cat woe with these fans? was thinking of getting one myself for the new stove, although i have become vaguely fond of our autonomous biting machine and would feel a bit guilty if he got his paw chopped off.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Our cat just gets as close as it physically can to the fire and switches off. No interest in the fan, food, mice, fluffy toys……..

The smell of slowly cooking cat is a bit off putting. So we sometimes have to drag him away, to a safe distance.

About 20cm.

Stoner
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stove-fans-ecofan-valiant-etc

cheap eBay ones are fine. They are v v basic machines.

Vader
    Free Member

We have two of the cafaro ecofans, one on a conventional squirrel 5kw and one on a squirrel convector 5kw. There is now doubt they make a big difference and warm the whole house. Think I paid about £90 each a few years ago – seems like they are more now though.

Both have been well used as they are on (almost) our primary heat sources, however one has had a new motor fitted and is now displaying the symptoms of needing another one after a year. Would I buy another? I am not sure, there are plenty of cheaper fans on the market and the cheapo ones my friends have work fine. One in particular is on 24/7 and has been for years, no problem. The guy in my local stove shop sold various brands and didn’t think any of them were bad.

I always fancied the stirling engine one but they had disappeared when I bought mine, Think they are available again though but I am not sure they are silent from the ones I have seen/heard, if that matters.

mintimperial

I got one of those stirling engine ones, because I’m a ridiculous tart. It makes a great little chuff-chuff-chuff noise which I love but annoys the hell out of missus. Not loud, but definitely not silent.

No sign of the cat wanting to attack it, she just flops in front of the stove and toasts herself, same as with the gas fire at the old place.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

The wife tells me a 4 blade Valiant fan is waiting for me at home.

How exciting!

sweepy
    Free Member

In our last place we had a HUGE Jotul. We had no fan but the cat jumped on top anyway, once.

spooky_b329

I’ve put my hand in the fan a couple of times, it just stops…there’s not really any weight or torque behind it.

Cats are uninterested in the stove (unless I’m sitting in front of it, and then I’ll have both squeezing onto my lap within five minutes)

kevster
    Free Member

I was hoping to get a fan on top of my wood burner, however I only have 210mm clearance? Anyone know of one that will fit?

footflaps
    yetidave
    Free Member

I Got a ecofan for Christmas and it fits into a 250mm space nicely. And what a difference it makes to both the heat in the lounge but also hallway and upstairs. Just a little warm draft. Great

Davesport

Afternoon all,

In true STW orm I’m currently having a wood burner installed as we speak.

It’s 8kw and in a conservatory measuring approx 20ft x 12ft.

Can anyone recommend one of those stove top fans? Anything in particular to look for?
    There’s loads out there, massively vary in price too!

Share your thoughts with me!

You’re going to be hot. Mine’s approx the same size with a 5.5 KW. It’s like a sauna 😀

Can’t help with the stove fan.

D.

ski
    Free Member

If you are having motor problems, check the motor spindle for a hair ball wound round the motor, free that up and chances are your motor will too

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stove Top Fans’ is closed to new replies.