Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Stove Top Bialetti – hints & tips
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Bought a stove top coffee pot at the weekend and gone through the simple instructions and pre use ‘seasoning’.

At the moment I’m using an espresso grind, filling the basket almost to the top and not pressing it down.

Any hints and tips from the regular users? Should I be seeing crema using a coffee pot or is there not enough pressure?

theotherjonv

I don’t get Crema from mine, assume it’s a pressure thing more than anything.

Bialetti do one with a pressure valve on it to enable higher pressures to be reached

http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stovetop/brikka-c-1_7_24.html

discussed a bit in this thread, but didn’t get a good review

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stovetop-coffee-maker-is-it-wrong

v8ninety

Heat on a low heat, if it’s starts making that bubbling noise it’s been on too long, take it off straight away. It doesn’t make espresso, hence no crema, but it does make delicious strong coffee. Enjoy!

Edit; in fact, I think I’ll join you…

hels
    Free Member

Don’t use dishwashing liquid when you clean it, gives an odd taste. Make sure it is shut good and tight.

If it starts misbehaving is probably that you need a new rubber seal, they wear eventually but are easy and cheap to replace.

I use mine every day but if you use it infrequently dis-assemble, they get manky in the bottom chamber (missus)

GrahamS

it does make delicious strong coffee. Enjoy!

About one time in ten for me.

The other nine I get burnt or really bitter coffee.

I need more practise! 😳

Yak

Never put it in the dishwasher. Ruined one doing this.

hels
    Free Member

P.S that’s nonsense re it only makes espresso.

1 cup water to 4 teaspoons ground coffee (level 7 if you can find it) et voila. Add milk and you have a proper flat white, not one of those pretendy ones that they flog you in cafes here that are really lattes.

Low-medium heat as said, don’t try and blast it.

Oh yeah – they don’t work on electric stoves sadly, only gas. Or I have never managed to get it to heat to the right temperature at the right speed.

mick_r

As above – slowest possible heat and take straight off immediately it starts to make a bubbling noise.

If washing then just plain water rinse out (never in washing up liquid).

Our Italian friends are most amused at all the home coffee machines in the UK – they all just use pots on the stove (but go through a proper running in ritual if they ever get a new one).

Gary_M
    Free Member

No I just rinsed it under the hot tap, no washing up liquid. I used a low heat on the gas cooker, and start with cold water in the tank. Reading that other thread a heat spreader is mentioned for the gas ring, any need for one?

hels
    Free Member

Home coffee machines are an abomination and should be banned, along with decaf and orange cheese.

GrahamS

1 cup water to 4 teaspoons ground coffee

Hmm, maybe this is where I go wrong?
    I always fill the basket bit to the brim (but don’t tamp or compress it)

hels
    Free Member

All according to taste of course – I am aiming for a good strong Americano which I can then pollute with milk*, but I am told it stands fine on its own, I developed my taste for coffee in Kiwiland so a lack of poncing about is optimal. I don’t think you could get a decent espresso out of it – that is what coffee shops are for.

*even worse, soy milk – take that coffee snobs !

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve read different instruction on this, some say fill it then just level off, others say three quarters full, all say keep the coffee loose though.

theotherjonv

Home coffee machines are an abomination and should be banned, along with decaf and orange cheese.

Woah there tiger!

https://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/product/sparkenhoe-red-leicester/

hels
    Free Member

I mean where they add coloring – you can have that one bob jon jovi

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve got it, keep loose don’t overfill never tamp and take off heat immediately as it starts to boil and let residual heat finish extraction or it goes way over and you get a that classic burnt Italian coffee!

nickc

I put boiling water in mine to shorten the brew time. It makes little/no difference to the taste TBH.

scandalous!

v8ninety

Mmmm. Thanks for that idea. I’ll be buzzing all afternoon now 😆 (levelled off basket, topped up with boiling water in the mug, then a bit of milk, and a squirt of monin vanilla; also take that coffee snobs 😉 )

isto
    Free Member

I use mine everyday and I usually put 1 heaped coffee spoon (big plastic spoon with tamper on the end) in without tamping and then fill the water to 2/3 of the max level. Apparently it is a 4 person pot but this does me one nice cup of decent strength coffee. If I want an espresso I would use the espresso machine.

Like mentioned above the trick is to take it off the heat before it starts bubbling – this means you get less coffee through but what is there is less bitter. I have found that putting it on my wood burning stove is even better as it heats it a lot slower and more coffee is produced before it is boiled.

hels
    Free Member

Hmm, wood burning stove – I have one of those now – must try that !

mike_p
    Free Member

I have the Bialetti Brikka with the pressure valve thingy and reckon it does a better job than my old Mokka Express. Definitely stronger coffee anyway (that’s not a complaint), and it makes a satisfying CLUNK when the pressure valve is triggered. The “crema”, if you can even call it that, doesn’t last long enough to get poured out of the pot, but that may be user error!

pjbarton
    Free Member

Bialettis utilise the boiling of water, which is too hot for coffee. Surely they’ll always be a slightly burnt taste?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have found that putting it on my wood burning stove is even better as it heats it a lot slower and more coffee is produced before it is boiled.

Another excuse for a woodburner 🙂

So you take it off the stove as soon as it starts to gurgle then?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Yes, concentrate and anticipate the gurgling, feel the gurgling, read the signs, sense the water temperature…

But yes as mentioned above method does utilise the boiling of water which isn’t great for coffee. Historically I guess Italians have just enjoyed slightly ruined coffee. Aeropress for next investment maybe, technically a filter but can make quite an intense brew with lots of ‘mouthfeel’ and body not dissimilar to a Moka pot but without the associated burning.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Against all advice I fill mine and tamp it slightly (not like using the espresso machine), but find it has to be on the heat right to the end and take if off at the first ‘gurgle’ otherwise it just stops.

No problems on electric stoves though? If anything they worked better (halogen and those crappy solid plate hobs) , probably far less heat.

My parents just put a couple of teaspoons in it (Like hels), which seems weird, surely that’s just making filter coffee really slowly?

wrecker
    Free Member

I much prefer the coffee out of a stovetop than an aeropress. Much nicer to use too.

nickc

Bialettis utilise the boiling of water, which is too hot for coffee. Surely they’ll always be a slightly burnt taste?

Has to be, otherwise it wouldn’t work, as the steam condenses in the top part, it cools. But it just makes coffee, I can’t be bothered to get anal about it first thing in the morning.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pretty much, but that’s one of the characteristics of the stove top drink.

Our Italian friends are most amused at all the home coffee machines in the UK – they all just use pots on the stove (but go through a proper running in ritual if they ever get a new one).

Some of my British friends are most amused at all the home coffee machines in the UK. What’s your point?

I work with a lot of Italians. Most have stove tops. Many also have espresso machines at home (preference does seem to be for lever pump, but some have electric pump, and some have pod machines.) A few don’t even drink coffee.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“mouthfeel”

top notch twattery. Something id expect binners to say 😀

ChrisHeath

I put boiling water in mine to shorten the brew time. It makes little/no difference to the taste TBH.

Yeah, me too.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

That’s why I quote unquoted it trail rat strewth!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Stove Top Bialetti – hints & tips’ is closed to new replies.