Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Stove Question of the Day, Scottish Regulations
  • franksinatra

I’m in the process of getting quotes at the moment for a new stove and am getting plenty of conflicting advice from Installers

Basic facts are:

• House not in a conservation area, not in smokeless area and I have permitted development rights
    • Stove replacing gas fire, no current chimney
    • Flue will run up outside of house, is more than 2.3m away from ridgeline so will only stick up 600mm from height of roof (at that point)

I know Heatas doesn’t have same authority this side of the border but really struggling to find definitive answer on need for warrants and planning. Some documents say planning is required, others say it is not as this was relaxed to encourage green energy. Some say warrant is needed, other say not.

Bit of a minefield and given that I am getting conflicting advice from ‘credible’ installers, would be good to get a definitive position (Obviously I understand opinion of STW will not be admissible in court if the pooh hits the fan!)

bedmaker

Crappy system that needs sorted out IME. HETAS system in England is much better.

On paper, you need planing and warrant for any chimney work.
    In practice, they are not interested, but it’s worth getting something in writing to that effect.

My standard email response from them is along the lines of –

You do not need a warrant, we will not check the work but it ust be completed in accordance with standards.

Your chimney may need to be higher than 600mm too, unless you have a flat roof. It needs to be 2.3 M clear of the roof horizontally.
    I.E if your pitch is 45 degrees the upstand will need to be 2.3 M high.

3.20.17 here shows what I’m on about.

br
    Free Member

You only really need to worry about planning/warrents if you either will want to sell or where someone will dob you in…

IMO what you need is the best/safest installation.

geoffj

On paper, you need planing and warrant for any chimney work.
    In practice, they are not interested, but it’s worth getting something in writing to that effect.

My standard email response from them is along the lines of –

You do not need a warrant, we will not check the work but it ust be completed in accordance with standards.

This ^^

I checked what was required in the regs. Had the work done to standard ad then sent sketches and description to my friendly local building control chap. He replied acknowledging that it was fine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Stove Question of the Day, Scottish Regulations’ is closed to new replies.