Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stove-ists why does my neighbours chimney stink?
  • toys19
    Free Member

like the springfield tyre fire. He swears he only burns logs but it always smells acrid and it is getting a bit blimmin annoying.
    Could there be a problem with his chimney/stove such that even burning normal logs makes a smell like burning rubber/oil/chemical waste?

user-removed
    Free Member

He’s lying, probably. Round here, they’ll chuck in anything that burns. The number of stray dogs has massively decreased…

crankboy
    Free Member

Chimney not sealed so smoke coming through to you. He needs to get it lined. Or burning any old treated painted or wet wood.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh noes smokes.

If its coming into your house he needs to cease using it now.

If your outside and getting a whiff of it not and again and live outwith a defra zone – not alot you can do – unless his chimney is not the required distane above roofline /your opening windows

cloudnine
    Free Member

Maybe Not burning it hot enough… So you get tar and creosote condensing in the chimney and can stink

samuri
    Free Member

My guess, his starters. Magazine paper and bad cardboard.

I learned this week that a couple of sticks of kindling and one logs run up better than loads of paper, twigs and logs.

Keep your grate clean and have air flowing across your nethers.

flicker
    Free Member

samuri – Member

Keep your grate clean and have air flowing across your nethers.

[Lesley Phillips] I say…[/Lesley Phillips]

darrenspink
    Free Member

Wet unseasoned wood creates creosote that sticks to the inside of a chimney. This not only f*$ks the bricks up but also stinks when lit by high temperature.

toys19
    Free Member

hmm we are in a smoke control area. I think his is an open fire.

toys19
    Free Member

Right I have it sussed, he is burning chippies offcuts. Its smokes like ****. Can I do anything about it?

maccruiskeen

I can’t see why waste timber from joinery work would be smellier or smokier than anything else – it’ll just be seasoned, clean, dry wood, unless he’s storing it or collecting it somewhere where it can get wet, even then that would just smell a bit smokey – not smell terrible.. Even panel products like ply or MDF would burn cleanly. What would be smelly is anything with a laminate on it – bits of kitchen doors / worktops etc

twinw4ll
    Free Member

You can only burn wood in a Defra approved stove in a smoke control area.
    Clowns like him need to be reported to your local authority.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stove-ists why does my neighbours chimney stink?’ is closed to new replies.