Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stovax Stockton 5
  • footflaps

Anyone else got one?

Just had one fitted and wondered what the preferred settings are to keep it going without smoking the glass up (just had to clean it after only 2 fires). Ours in the multi-fuel version.

Hoff

I’ve got one & had the same problem until I learnt how to light a fire properly (never had a fire before)

Fill the burner up to the air holes / Stovax sign with kindling & newspaper layers, couple of fire lighters. Light the fire lighters & close the door leaving about a 1cm gap. It shouldn’t take long to really get going, once it is add some smaller logs & fully close the door with the vents fully open. You need to build up a good layer of embers for the wood to burn on & then you can add bigger logs & start closing the vents to slow the burn down.

Glass never soots up now (unless the in-laws try to light it!), just needs wiping off with scrunched up newspaper.

I also used gel oven cleaner to clean the glass…

footflaps

So how closed do you leave the vents?

Currently it seems OK in terms of clear glass with the lower one shut and the top one mid-way, but still burning at a fair lick – getting through wood quite quick…..

martinhutch

Fully open until you’ve got a decent hot fire and embers, then lower slider closed (to the right). Upper one I usually leave nearly fully open, unless it’s going like an absolute train and I’m about to die from heat exhaustion.

As above, bit of newspaper scrunched up, dipped in water then in the ash cleans up the glass brilliantly.

Hoff

Try closing the top one a bit more? it took me a while to get used to it, I lit it about 7:00 tonight & put the second full size log on about 10-min ago & probably used another two split down to get it going. Mines not the multi-fuel, I have a multi-fuel (not Stovax) in the workshop & that one burns faster.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Starting a fire has Nowt to do with the amount of soot the glass gets. You’ll need a decent layer of ash and some wood with a low moisture content. Stockton 7 owner here and I reckon I clean the glass every 15-20 burns

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stovax Stockton 5’ is closed to new replies.