Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Storyville: The Last Days of Vietnam
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Well worth the watch on i player. Very sad.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Noted, thanks.

cranberry
    Free Member

2nd’d – was watching it on TV at way-too-late-o’clock this morning – had to make myself stop watching it and go to bed.

The bloke with the Chinook who got his family out then undressed whilst hovering over the sea before bailing out – amazing.

kimbers

Have watched it before, Storyville has some truly amazing err stories sometimes

jamj1974

I’ll definitely watch that. Thanks for heads up.

packer
    Free Member

I caught this too. Essential viewing and very moving.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

The Storyville series of documentary’s usually have some excellent episodes I recorded it so I could watch later.
    Next week my sisters coming over from the states with her fella,he’s a Vietnam vet,maybe I should show him the programme.

senorj

Also noted. Ta.
    Storyville always high quality IMO.

atlaz
    Free Member

Next week my sisters coming over from the states with her fella,he’s a Vietnam vet,maybe I should show him the programme.

My experience of such things with a Korean war veteran would indicate to tread carefully. Admittedly the bloke I spoke to had been a PoW and badly treated but it wasn’t something he wanted to revisit in any way.

dannyh
    Free Member

I watched it a while ago and it is very thought provoking. When ‘we’ clamour for military withdrawal the plight of those we leave in the shit is rarely at the forefront of the argument. Whether ‘we’ should have been there in the first place is a moot point by this stage.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Over the years I have met many Vietnamese veterans from the North. They and their country are rightly proud of having sent the US packing. They generally have moved on and its not a topic they wish to dwell on. They certainly do not wish to speak about those in the South who they felt collaborated with the Americans and they don’t want to speak of the consequences / treatment they faced as a result. Its been my experience the North and South of the country differs in many ways, the consequences of the war are still very real.

lowey

Superb tv.

jamj1974

Very moving human stories… The sense of responsibility and associated guilt some of these people felt and still feel is especially affecting.

DezB
    Free Member

Storyville: Which Way is the Front Line from Here is one of the most moving documentaries I’ve seen.
    It’s about Tim Hetherington, the war photographer who was killed. Really worth seeking out.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ thanks will do

kimbers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s0g85

Is a gripping account of the 6 Day War,t old by Israeli soldiers, interviewed as they returned home, it was censored by the Israeli government for 60 years

It’s no longer on iPlayer, but you can watch it here

http://www.veoh.com/m/watch.php?v=v98349470dMBgk5Mh

jamj1974

Cheers. Will watch that too.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member
    Very moving human stories… The sense of responsibility and associated guilt some of these people felt and still feel is especially affecting.
    POSTED 3 WEEKS AGO #

Well said. Makes you realise just how “comfortable” we all actually are and how we just take it for granted.

Thanks for the recommendation to the OP. I’d never heard of Storyville until now.

pondo

Put it on series link a few weeks back and what I’ve seen has been consistently brill. Learnt a lot about how the Vietnam war ended from this, never knew before.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Find a copy of the book Quicksand War by Lucian Bodard – it’s an outstanding piece of forgotten history

Pigface
    Free Member

A Bright shining lie is another brilliant book about the Vietnam war.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Storyville: The Last Days of Vietnam’ is closed to new replies.