Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Stormtroopers – what's the point?
  • jimmy

Watching the new Star Wars trailer reminded me of a feeling of sheer disappointment as a kid… Watching Star Wars for the first time I remember my heart sinking when Luke, in Stormtrooper guise, took off the helmet. To that point I’d assumed ST’s were cybermen or something, something more than a man in a suit. And at that, a suit which seems to render them quite inflexible. Maybe the white goods look would be laser proof? Oh, no, lasers kill them too. Hmph.

Still frikkin awesome, mind. Roll on December.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Yeah..but they don’t get nettlerash while riding the blue at Glentress.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

same here, or at the very least humanoid, cyborg or something. i just assumed he’d taken it apart or pulled out it’s human innards to get in. was only recently i fully came to terms with they’re just humans in a plastic suit.

Cougar

They’re clones. Do keep up.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I always thought they were robots too, I assumed Luke and Han hollowed one out or something.

They just like that to look cool.

johnners
    Free Member

What Cougar said. George Lucas decided a plastic helmet was probably cheaper than having to actually clone a bunch of extras.

geetee1972
    Free Member

They’re clones. Do keep up.

Quite – while I share the same sense of disappointment, the fact that they are cloned humans was established quite some time ago in Star Wars Episode Two.

Not just any clones mind you.

Clones of the father the THE coolest character in Star Wars – Bobba Fett.

spawnofyorkshire

<NERDISM>The Stormtroopers are clones of Jango Fett that were grown at an accelerated rate. Boba Fett is also a clone of Jango, but allowed to grow normally. Therefore Jango, Boba, clone troopers and stormtroopers are all the same genetically</NERDISM>

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I guess the empire looked back on the invasion of Naboo and realised that it was pretty easy for a hacker to switch off an entire droid army. I think by the events of episodes IV-VI the troopers are a mix of clones and other humans / humanoids – something about the destruction of the cloning facilities?

GregMay
    Free Member

wwaswas

My favourite ever Stormtropper image.

Carry on.

Mackem

How come most of them are shit at fighting if they are cloned from someone pretty good at it?

Onzadog
    Free Member

So how come the guy in the trailer looks nothing like jango fett?

fasthaggis

🙂

jimmy

Doesn’t explain the Hotpoint war suit. What’s wrong with Space-Camo?

Cougar

Same reason Luke doesn’t when he takes the helmet off.

Cougar

Doesn’t explain the Hotpoint war suit.

Quite handy on Hoth, though.

What’s wrong with Space-Camo?

What, for when they’re walking around in space?

Onzadog
    Free Member

But we’ve been told he is a stormtrooper, not just someone who robbed the outfit.

thepurist

The hotpot image is disappointing. Never thought they’d wear a cheeky black thong. Though commando is probably out as I bet that armour could give a nasty pinch.

Cougar

Seems I may have been wrong.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/11/of-course-there-are-black-stormtroopers-in-star-wars/383259/

by the time of the events of Episode IV: A New Hope, the Empire has been recruiting from general populations for years.

mudshark
    Free Member

The Stormtroopers are clones of Jango Fett that were grown at an accelerated rate.

Something went wrong as they’re all pretty average when it comes to fighting.

Onzadog
    Free Member

See, I was one of those who thought they were all kiwi clones.

spawnofyorkshire

They are clones, they don’t have his knowledge of fighting or memories. He was picked because he genetically superior to other humans

nemesis
    Free Member

Shit in fact. When did a stormtrooper last actually hit someone with their guns during episodes 4+?

When I was a kid, I did also think they were robots. And Darth Vader.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Can I just say that this is one the best threads I have ever read on STW 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Almost as useless as the A-Team in a firefight :mrgreen:

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I do remember thinking that white Stormtrooper armour on Endor seemed a little redundant

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Haven’t a lot of the cliches about ‘bad guys that can’t shoot straight’ come from Star Wars?

It probably existed earlier in Westerns and the like, but seems even more obvious in Star Wars because of their superior looking armour and guns etc.

atlaz
    Free Member

Shit in fact. When did a stormtrooper last actually hit someone with their guns during episodes 4+?

I guess the advantage of rapidly grown clones is you don’t have to worry about hiring or paying them, you just go for numbers and sooner or later they’ll hit something.

I assume the idiots get the basic white suits though. The tie fighter pilots, ATAT/ATST, speeder bike, snow trooper lot all seem a bit more capable.

nickjb
    Free Member

I always thought they were a trained goons topped up with clones. Luke was applying to join the Academy to become one before the Obi Wan thing kicked off.

Cougar

See, I was one of those who thought they were all kiwi clones.

I for one cannot wait for Star Wars Episode VIII: The New Zealand Story.

convert

I suspect they don’t hit much because they are permanently knackered from all the shagging. This is based on extensive research in my late teens and early twenties – pop that suit on at a party and you become a babe magnet. Quantity not quality mind but I always felt I had to do my bit for the empire.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

’tis true the TIE pilots and scout troopers did seem a bit handier than the regular ‘troopers.
    Maybe they had less party action ^^^^ 😉

wwaswas

So are any Stormtroopers women?

spawnofyorkshire

Breann of Tarth is supposedly a bit of a bad-ass stormtrooper in Episode VII, but no women ones in the earlier films

nemesis
    Free Member

Oh, good casting. Wondering if that then means she’s killed in GoT…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    So are any Stormtroopers women?

I sense you’re trying to get someone a ban

mudshark
    Free Member

pop that suit on at a party and you become a babe magnet.

Is that because they got you to keep the suit on? Any problems with your helmet?

wwaswas

Was prompted by this that came up when I was looking for the pink stormtrooper;

I just wondered if the whole ‘anonamised (sp?)’ army thing would allow women to be on an equal standing with men etc.

I don;t really know the story behind the films and wondered if it was something that was part of it.

Cougar

Breann of Tarth is supposedly a bit of a bad-ass stormtrooper in Episode VII, but no women ones in the earlier films

She’s the Chrometrooper in the trailer, if the Internet is to be believed.

Is that because they got you to keep the suit on? Any problems with your helmet?

Do you get to hear those immortal words, “aren’t you a little short for a Stormtrooper?”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Stormtroopers – what's the point?’ is closed to new replies.