Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • storing bikes ? right way up or upside down ?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

ive four bikes kept in a small hidey hole thats a tight squeeze i can keep the mtb's right way up or upside down. what is better for the forks ? also on the full sus will the rear shock be upsidedown with the bike or right way lol? and does it effect brakes as it feels like the rear brake on one of the bikes needs pumping to get pressure back after its been upside down for a while? cheers mick (prob doesnt matter i know its just that some times one of the bikes can be left months without getting touched as im out on the other ones) cheers

fadda

I believe that with (particularly?) Fox forks, upside down is better, as the oil then lubricates the seals. However, with brakes, if there is any air, it will find its way to the calipers eventually, which is bad.
    No doubt someone who really knows the answers will be along soon…

grumm
    Free Member

Fox forks recommend you store them upside down.

firestarter
    Free Member

mmm best i swap them round. dunno which way round that would make my rear shock then 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

just checked my rear shock would certainly be totally upside down ;-( no win i guess

cp

Yep, air in the brakes will be drawn into the caliper where it will affect braking. Normally the air can rise up to the master cylinder and sit at the top of the resevoir. My hope minis were particularyly affected by this…

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I store mine wheels on the floor and once a week leave the one with Fox forks upside down for a few nights.

enfht
    Free Member

I turn mine upside down as Im getting ready for a ride and doing the normal faffing about. 10 mins is enough to wet the seals and its easier to check the chain etc

gamo
    Free Member

same as enfht here.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Yep, air in the brakes will be drawn into the caliper where it will affect braking. Normally the air can rise up to the master cylinder and sit at the top of the resevoir. My hope minis were particularyly affected by this…

Shimano brakes arent affected by this, ive stored my bike for 4 years leant up against a wall with no issues at all.

Coleman
    Free Member

I store my bikes upside down, hanging from the ceiling for more space. Plus point is the Fox fork seals get lubed. Never had a problem with the Hope minis but I never pull the levers when bikes are inverted.

wonnyj
    Free Member

avids go bad if left upside down.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘storing bikes ? right way up or upside down ?’ is closed to new replies.