Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Storing bikes at home
  • beanieripper
    Free Member

I have always stored our (2) bikes inside the house, regardless of where we have lived. But with 2 young kids the appeal of having a downstairs loo we can use for once is quite appealing. Ive got an old brick shed with a rubbish door, but live in the middle of nowhere and am wondering if I should secure the shed or stick to keeping them indoors as I have always done. Show me your ingenious space saving method of keeping them indoors or super secure way of keeping them outside the house….

jonba
    Free Member

How high are your ceilings? If you have a utility room you could hang them from the ceiling. Years ago at uni I used to put mine in a survival bag under my bed. It was slightly impractical though. No secure bike storage. It wouldn’t have been that bad except there was a canoe in the middle of the floor and my shower was used as a drying room for my paddling and biking kit.

Personally I’d sort the door on the shed, put in some anchors and get an alarm.

There are metal sheds you can buy that you can bolt to the floor and lock. I know someone who assembled one inside the shed rather than go to the hassle of reinforcing the whole building.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Make the shed insurance compatible is the best advice and make sure your policy covers outbuildings.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a utilty room with a high ceiling and mine are up on the wall out of way seems to work quite well. If i lived in the middle of nowhere and I might store them in a very secure outbuilding

beanieripper
    Free Member

Hmm, the shed is solid enough with a tiled roof but the door is pretty flimsy, think I might look into sorting the door out, anyone use those locks that go right across the door?….no utility room unfortunately but the kitchen ceiling is really high..

yunki
    Free Member

I had exactly the same problem with pesky kids arriving and stealing precious bike space.. The problem was compounded when we moved to a house with no separate rear access..

The solution?
    Break your good bike up and put it in the attic.. Build a hack that you would not pine for if stolen that is just adequate for your needs without appealing to theivez..

make plans to move to a more bike friendly house

lapierrelady

You could try one of these? http://www.outlineworksltd.com/website/ We’re currently dealing with the race bikes this way, and it means you get to perve on you bike alot!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Perhaps a bike hoist in a corner of the kitchen then ?

DT78
    Free Member

Thos trophy mounts look cool!

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d never ever keep my bikes out of the house, people who keep expensive bikes in sheds get them stolen, how many times do we read it on here… My bikes live in the loft, easy to get them up there by just taking wheels off, or even dining room. It’s not ideal but they aren’t getting stolen.

shortcut

I had a mate who hung his above the stairs in his house from the ceiling. This took up no floor space and really wasn’t ever in the way.

br
    Free Member

get an alarm.

A bit pointless if living in the middle of nowhere…

beanieripper
    Free Member

All sorted now thanks, ive hung them vertically behind the front door in our hallway, this area was filled with about 30 coats and about 900 pairs of shoes, these are now in the toilet/cloakroom stored on shelves and hooks, amazing the space that female attire takes up, just off for a wee…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Storing bikes at home’ is closed to new replies.