Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Storing bike light batteries
  • Bazz

What’s the best way to store light batteries if they’re not going to be used for a few days or weeks, warm, cool, fully charged/discharged or as they finish? Cheers.

jeansy
    Free Member

For lithium just over half charged and somewhere cool, all others fully charged and cool.

nixie

Anyone do anything special over the summer? Like recharge and partially discharge once a month?

aracer
    Free Member

Like recharge and partially discharge once a month?

A bad idea which will only shorten the life of your battery. I tend to just leave my batteries after they’ve last been used and recharge when I plan to use them again.

nixie

Hmm, might be why mine are all fubared then.

zilog6128

A bad idea which will only shorten the life of your battery. I tend to just leave my batteries after they’ve last been used and recharge when I plan to use them again.

This is the exact opposite of what the Exposure manual says.

aracer
    Free Member

What does the Exposure manual say exactly?

trout
    Free Member
    zilog6128

What does the Exposure manual say exactly?

Here is the link to the latest Exposure documentation

http://www.exposurelights.com/product/000081/lights-user-manual-2012/

but basically this is what it says under “Re-charging instructions”

Long periods of non-use will lower the voltage of the battery. If the unit
    is being stored for long periods, please ensure the battery is periodically
    charged. We suggest once per month.

aracer
    Free Member

The only plausible reason for that is if there is current draw when the light is switched off – plausible for a light with a built in battery and a push button switch – which causes the battery to discharge significantly over the course of a month. The fact they suggest the same regime for piggyback batteries though suggests they don’t know what they’re talking about – my part used li-ion packs don’t lose enough charge to notice when left for 6 months.

trout
    Free Member

There will of course be a small drain in the exposure lights but it should not drain in a month

What happens to all the lights on the shelf of shops do they have to charge them every month till they get sold .

I was told by smudge that storage of Li Ions should be half charged and in a cool place and to use them occasionally during the months they are to be stored.

cp

ooops.

My (li-on) was stored fully charged, it’s now showing partially charged on the batter state. Should I discharge it before plugging into charger, or charge it to 100% now first before using it in the light…

nealy
    Free Member

trout linked to a very good source but for anyone who can’t be bothered reading it you should store Li-ion batteries at 40% charge between 0C and room temperature.

also…

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

Charging Lithium-ion

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Storing bike light batteries’ is closed to new replies.