Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stories about me riding my bike in the Alps…
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Maybe someone is interested, who knows, but I thought I would post this here.

Last year I did the 1 photo every day for a year thing and managed to complete it! But I just did it through facebook. I started this year to do it again but I realised that actually most of the interesting photos were from when I was out and about on my bike and the rest were mostly infill photos. So instead I have decided to just do a little blog about rides I do, sometimes will be a long story, sometimes will just be a couple of words and some photos… depends if I can be bothered or not I guess.

I was mostly inspired by this story on pinkbike, it is nothing special the story but I was reading it and suddenly realised, HEY! I live in a place cool enough to write about things like this now!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/The-Lavaredo-Killers-dan-milner-2014.html

So yes I have wanted to live in the Alps for a loooong time, I am originally from Northumberland and my bachelors in Scotland but always wanted to in some real mountains so I decided to apply to university in Grenoble to do my masters and I can safely say I have been enjoying some quite incredible riding RIGHT on my doorstep! It is perfect when you can ride up to above 1000m+ within an hour of your door and you live in a city.

So anyway here you go, if anyone is interested to read about what riding is like around Grenoble, it is nothing special yet, I have only written 3 short entries so far…

http://williamcgibson.wordpress.com/

hora
    Free Member

Bookmarked thank you

kennyp
    Free Member

Nice stuff. Jealous!

pymwymis
    Free Member

Following.

And jealous !

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

crap, now someone actually follows me i better write something interesting!

eyerideit
    Free Member

I am originally from Northumberland and my bachelors in Scotland but always wanted to in some real mountains

Nice picture, but I really hope your writing makes more sense than the above sentence.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@anus I remember posting how jealous I was when you first said you where going. We look forward to more updates. If you have the time and inclination I’d quite like to see some of thspese routes or sections overlayed on an IGN map, you can do that via Strava export and into the gouv portal site. If you email me the gpx from the ride with the great descent you talked about I’ll give it a go. I’m spending a lot of time in Paris but its dire riding wise as its so flat.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

haha eyerideit – yep that is some pretty terrible writing, but you understood what I meant right?! Anyway most people just look at the photos!

Jambalaya – do you mean this site? http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/accueil

eyerideit
    Free Member

@anus I read it before going to bed and thought my eyes were playing up. I had to re-read it 4 times then ask Mrs Eye to read it who confirmed it didn’t make sense.

I thought it was my brain switching off. 😕

Yes, very nice pictures though.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Nice to see my forks getting some proper use! (they are my old 55s right?)

Nice piccies. Off to Sisteron and surrounds soon, can’t wait.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Eyerideit – maybe I did it on purpose… to you all… 😉

Tizzzle – yeah they are indeed your old forks, looking big pimpin on my ibis! Thank you sir.

Well it was sunny sunny sunny today so I have been out riding once again (I don’t have anything else to do until next Tuesday so why not!). Few photos here…

St Nizier, Eybens, Sassenage

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Had a bit of an epic weekend riding wise, so thought I would post here as I have added a few more posts 😆

Little taster…

jekkyl

Op. did you really choose that handle for STW? 😮

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Handle meaning?

jekkyl

your name, please tell me it’s your surname.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

errrr yes, we will go with yes

MrNice
    Free Member

I hope it’s *not* his surname

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Following here too.

*expects amazing things* 😉

welshfarmer

Just love the Vercors. Will be following with interest. I once broke down at the top of the hill before Grenoble coming out of the Vercors and managed to freewheel my car about 15 miles down into the outskirts of town before calling a tow-truck 🙂

chickenman

I’m also following this with interest as we spent a few days in the Chartreuse last year and wondered about the biking potential.
    OP; clearly not an Anus Horribilis last year then?

Legoman
    Free Member

*bookmarked*

No pressure OP, but you’ve set the bar quite high already!

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I did some fantastic ones when the weather was still good before winter but I had not started this yet! I am sure there will be plenty opportunities when the warm weather comes back.

I will be here for the next three years potentially and will almost definitely be in London for the summer so it wont all be Grenoble riding… But yeah Vercors and Chartreuse have been explored a little already and there are some great places! Belledonne is the mountain range to the south and has some proper alpine style riding i would like to get done after winter!

Belledonne…

And if any of you guys want routes in either Belledonne, Chatreuse or vercours see here…

French version of STW (I think)

that has all the GPS trails you can imagine… just join the dots!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Stories about me riding my bike in the Alps…’ is closed to new replies.