Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stopping motorbikes ruining the trails
  • cakeandcheese

Despite the inclement weather, I went up to Grenoside yesterday for a much needed ride. The mud was ace fun, the rain all but stopped falling and it was plenty warm enough.

There was one problem though – the MX bikes which were ripping up and down the trails. I didn’t get close enough to take pictures of them, and I tried calling 101 but couldn’t get through to an operator.

These guys need stopping. They’re ruining trails that are funded and built by MTBers and their selfish actions will be the end of the development of these woods and other like them. That’s not to mention the danger posed to MTBers, walkers and horse riders.

I’m not for violence, traps or damaging property, but entrance barriers and such like are not an effective way of stopping them. Nor can the woods be patrolled by the police 24/7, therefore other methods have to be explored.

What do we think? Is it time we invested in cameras like those used by the North Shore bikers to catch the trail saboteur? Would footage taken by riders by the trail side help the police prosecute/ confiscate equipment?

br
    Free Member

Find where they park their cars/vans and note the number plates, inform your local council/police.

And/or the landowner.

cakeandcheese

Very good suggestion, I bet they do drive a van up there but park up the road rather than in the main car park.

I’ll have a drive up and down next time to have a look for them.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The barriers the MoD use here at Alver Valley have stopped them for a long time – unless they can pick it up above their heads and then zigzag through it – they aren’t getting in.
    Not having a go at MX’s though – unfortunately they do gets bounced elsewhere more than anyone else.

chrisrobs
    Free Member

They would just find the cameras and break them. What tracks were they riding on? It’s impossible to stop them gaining entry and the police don’t seem to be that bothered. My mate once rang them to report 2 men wearing jumpsuits and balaclavas on quad bikes, but they just didn’t seem bothered. Guess the police have more important things to do.

the police don’t seem to be that bothered.

It’s a civil offence, not a criminal one. Try getting in touch with the countryside access team at the relevant local authority.

benp1

There used to be a couple of felled trees/logs in the way of some of the singletrack in some woods near me. Was a bit annoying having to get off and carry your bike over, but it made it impossible to get a motorbike down there. They still found there way through some of the trails though

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s a civil offence, not a criminal one. Try getting in touch with the countryside access team at the relevant local authority.

Odds are they’re not insured, taxed or have an MOT, so that’s a starter for 10.

And IIRC motor vehicles on bridleways is a criminal offence (unlike pushbikes on footpaths).

OK, so just looked it up and Grenoside woods is owned by the wildlife trust. If there’s no signs to suggest otherwise then technically the crossets aren’t doing anything wrong.

It’s up to the wt to decide and enforce the access levels for their land. Find out who their local officer is and talk to them. I’m guessing the WT aren’t keen on mxers upsetting the badgers etc.

If the crossers are gaining access using a public right of way that isn’t open to motor vehicles (footpath, bridleway or restricted byway) THEN talk to the local authority.

If you can get the wt to put up no motor vehicle signage, then this would mran anyone accessing the woods on a motor vehicle would be trespassing, and the police can (should) take an interest.

IIRC motor vehicles on bridleways is a criminal offence (unlike pushbikes on footpaths).

Actually you’re right in this case as they’re causing harm or damage.

shadowfax

Metal pinchpoints dug deep into the ground would go some way.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It goes beyond whether they’re doing anything illegal or not…the trails often take many hundreds of hours to build, and one day of mx bike activity will leave them in tatters. It’s wholly selfish, ignorant and unfair to the boys who put in the graft. It’s been happening down in the tweed valley as well. Very little that can be done above board.

cakeandcheese

Some good info there, thanks. As it’s a Ride Sheffield spot I guess they already have links with the WT so probably best to go through them.

I believe there are signs already in place, and I also believe the entrance to the woods directly opposite the car park is a bridleway (as is the track to the top of Steel City DH and DH3). The motorbikes used both of these trails.

Not having a go at MX’s though – unfortunately they do gets bounced elsewhere more than anyone else.

I do feel a little compassion for them – I understand these woods may well have been their playground well before the MTB trails were made official. However the local riding community has invested a lot of time and money in getting them put in and kept up to standard, and the actions of these few MXers will require many more hours and pounds to be spent or even cause the trails to be shut if the local horse riders kick up enough fuss.

If they had got a community together and invested in their own trails, then I’d hope the local MTBers would respect them and not dig them up/put unnecessary strain on relationships with other user groups.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stopping motorbikes ruining the trails’ is closed to new replies.