Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stopping Cantilever straddle wire breaking into tyre?
  • Wally

Just refreshed by old 531 tourer with new cables and Conti 4 season tyres, but on removal of mudguards I have realised there is the potential (extremely slight I know)for the grub screws to loosen or the brake cable to break resulting in the yoke shooting on top of the tyre. Bike sure is nippier having lost nearly 8 pounds of racks/bags/mudguards and huge tyres. Due to the odd way I have to set up the brakes a shimano Y thingy will not work – I have to use the straddle wire and the 4 grub screws to set things up.
    What’s the fix?

cynic-al
    Free Member

A bolt sticking out of the mudguard-mount-hole in the crown.

IanW
    Free Member

New cables that are single sided.

I watched a friend nose dive down a pit when his canti cable broke and the remainder grabbed the front tyre. Personally wouldn’t ride a bike with that set up.

The newer single sided design means this couldn’t happen.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF if you look after your bike it won’t happen – I spent 10+ years on cantis.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Always had a bolt or reflector bracket or something in there just in case.

jamj1974

Two zip ties. One looped around below fork crown and another looped loosely enough around straddle cable so as not to interfere but tightly enough to catch it it the cable snaps.

jamj1974

Also – never happened to me, like Cynic-Al I spent a long time on cantilevers (’87 – ’97) and I think that is because I looked after my cables and bolts. I am also building up one of my frames in a as complete as possible retro build and that will be using straddles again. Looking forward to using those Ritchey Logic brakes again!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

I have to admit this is an issue I’ve never considered or had a problem with – and I’ve done a lot of miles on the tandem which has cantis.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Rode with cantis for years. Looked after my cables, but used the 2 zip tie method described above. Never had an issue.

ransos
    Free Member

Due to the odd way I have to set up the brakes a shimano Y thingy will not work

They come in different sizes, don’t they?

antigee

did the mudguards you just removed carry out this function?

edit forget that you said it in olden days mtbs used to ship with reflectors bolted to the mudguard holes to stop that happening – though I’ve run plenty without and still do on our retro tandem

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stopping Cantilever straddle wire breaking into tyre?’ is closed to new replies.