Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Stopped smoking!!
  • honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Stopped smoking yesterday . Going cold turkey as i don’t want to do the patches etc . Managed eight years ago using the same tactic , quit for 5 years then stupidly started again , what a dumb ass .

Just seems this tme it’s a lot more difficult than the last . Really got cravings at the minute . Anyone else quit lately going through the same?

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Just keep going it you’ve done it before.

I found that the Mouth Spray stuff was the best thing ever, If it all got really crazy up there in the head you can just have a quick minty spray and they go instantly I mean really that quick.

Good luck

andyh2
    Free Member

Well done you.

I haven’t got what it takes to go cold turkey and have taken a painless route. Not had a cigarette in over 4 weeks after shifting over to e-cig vaping. So, still a nicotine addict but feeling so much better for not smoking.

Good luck.

hautgrimpeur
    Free Member

I quit by cold turkey in October. The cravings can seem bad but they only last a few minutes, stick with it. Visit whyquit.com if you need motivation, read Allen Carr’s book and consider signing yourself up on Lance’s Livestrong forum. You may pick up a lead from there to the Livestrong Smober Society on Google +. Super supportive group of people who make no judgements because everyone is going through the same thing. It is a terrible addiction because it hijacks the reward centre of the brain but you can do it.

beanieripper
    Free Member

keep going mate, I had smoked for 20 0dd years and this new years eve (40 now) threw my baccy onto the fire and gave up. I figured if I gave up with the same commitment I smoked with it would be easy. the cravings only last 2 minutes so remember that. all the patches and other crap will only prolong the pain. I have never tried to give up before and thought it would be impossible. its easy if you have really decided to do it, if you don’t mean it you wont give up. Having just had our second girl I realised that I didn’t want to kick the bucket when they were 20…no brainer really. Best of luck to you mate

Kevevs
    Free Member

good luck mate. Don’t kick yourself or feel guilty if you crack along the way. Positive vibes coming from chez kev here.

enduroforever
    Free Member

Keep going, first three days are the hardest I stopped in September and never looked back. I used patches for around 8 weeks

hora
    Free Member

Dont quit. The government makes out you are an addict. You are not. You are a consumer. A consumer that cant take it or leave it.

You need and want the product. If it was starve or smoke. You would smoke.

I know this from personal experience.

Dont let British American Tobacco win. You’ll die in your 50’s in a hospice thanks to them. Addict.

Kevevs
    Free Member

nice one Hora

hautgrimpeur
    Free Member

Yes, I can’t work that one out Hora – was that meant to be motivational?

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Thanks for the support guys , i think it’s harder this time because i was smoking a lot , did a sleeve of 200 fags in in just over a week !! That’s one of the reasons for quiting , i’ve never smoked 20 odd a day so going from a high , for me , nicotine intake to zero is a shock to the system .

Good to hear others can do it cold tukey . And i know from experiance you got to want to stop otherwise it’s futile.

Oh , Hora , you talk some crazy shizz 😆

hora
    Free Member

Haut. I smoked lucky strike and gauloise. I felt cool. Get I was a dickhead loser. A product known to kill and I thought I was rebelling/living life against the system.

Only when you’ve quit do you realise. What do smokers call me? A nazi? Even the insult is repulsive.

**** hate smoking. A true mugs game. Quit. Seriously.

British American Tobacco. Their factories aren’t cool.

sadexpunk

i did it years ago, just from being in the right mindset. id tried and failed a few times, but one day i just asked myself why i was smoking, there was no reason for it.
    we all seem to start to ‘look big’ at school, and before you know it, its a habit.
    i questioned whether i looked hard smoking (no), was anyone watching me smoking and thinking i looked cool (no), is there actually any point in putting this fag to my mouth and sucking in smoke (no) hmmmmm…… actually its f**kin stupid, im stopping.
    i knew that moment id never have another fag, and i havent. yeah a bit of cold turkey, but the mind overcame that pretty easy by going over those questions again. that was the key for me, having the right frame of mind.
    if id stopped for the money, or just tried to cut down, it would never have worked.
    sorry, waffled on a bit there, but just sharing how i did it 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Going cold turkey as i don’t want to do the patches etc

8 years or so, for me now, and did that cold turkey as well.

jodafett

Well done for starting to stop. I stopped 5yrs ago and have never wanted one since. I was a heavy smoker and none of my makes can believe I’ve stayed off them so long. My best tip when you have a craving is to take a long, deep slow breath. HTH.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

This is it for sure this time, agreed that it doesn’t make you look cool and it makes you smell bad too !

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, keep it up. It is the hardest thing to give up and yet it’s the best thing you can do. Your heroin habit is less dangerous and probably cheaper.

What I found kept me going was the *massive* performance increase on a bike. Not so much power but endurance on the climbs. Brilliant. That’s better than any fag.

hora
    Free Member

Its not the smell. I can see you need something to help you get through the day.

Heroin addicts crave too.

Cool people crave adrenaline rush.

djc1245
    Free Member

Went the cold turkey route 6 years ago. Found it easier than i thought i would. I go up hill a lot quicker now and don’t feel like throwing up when i do

bearnecessities

Good luck fella; I desperately want to give up, but clearly not desperately enough yet. Please don’t go back.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Cool people crave adrenaline rush.

Not much time for adrenaline when you got to work 12/14 hours a day. 🙁

Maybe i should start with a smack habit….

…kidding peeps

butcher

Just over a year for me. Started on the patches and lasted 3 days of feeling awful anyway so done away with them.

Best thing I ever done. Very difficult at first, but after a while you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about! Such is the nature of addiction.

Jamie
    Free Member

I should add, I am now addicted to cakes now, though.

joepose
    Free Member

Quit 20 years ago to help buy a house with my wife.
    Doesnt have to be so big but it helps to have a goal.
    Stick with it and buy urself a new bike 😛

hora
    Free Member

You wouldnt throw plastic onto a fire an breath in so why smoke?

Ah because its highly addictive.

jon1973
    Free Member

I desperately want to give up, but clearly not desperately enough yet.

I’m sure someone has told you before, but Alan Carr’s book really helped me. Also, I found giving up for the sake of giving up is difficult. I started mountain biking about the same time I quit smoking (about 7 years ago). I also justified buying all sorts of things for myself due to the money I saved by not smoking, although this is starting to wear a bit thin now with the wife.

amaan
    Free Member

5 weeks cold turkey, Like you I found I was smoking nearly 20 a day from my normal 5-10, but yep not had one for 5 weeks, I find my junk food intake has increased 😕

samuri
    Free Member

You got to want to give up. The patches and stuff is nothing compared to the desire to quit. If you don’t really want to give up no amount of plasters and electronic cigs is going to work.

We went on holiday and my wife had given up about a year before. I knew she hated me smoking so to avoid her having to smell the smoke on me in the small hotel room, I stopped for the holiday and intended to restart on my return.

I had one fag when we got home and hated it. And that was that and now all dirty cig smokers are evil and I hate them and their poison.

iffoverload
    Free Member

smart move, when the craving kicks in wait 5 minutes and then see if you still want one..

someone told me they quit by carrying a little jar with some butts and a bit of water in it with them, they took a sniff every time they wanted to smoke.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

You wouldnt throw plastic onto a fire an breath in so why smoke?

Sounds like some of the weed i’ve smoked over the years 😯

amaan , yeah , eating too much crap at the minute , but have no kitchen till the middle of Feb so that will change .

bearnecessities

all dirty cig smokers are evil and I hate them and their poison

Harsh, but I predict the day smoking will be banned in public in the next few years…and I will welcome it.

ricdiggle
    Free Member

Good for you. I’m coming up on 2 years without now. Smoked 60 a day for 20 odd years and used the magic pill from the doctor too stop. Champix iirc. Can’t recommend it enough. I literally just stopped wanting them, after 9 days on the pills. Never had one since had barely any cravings at all.
    I thought I’d never ever be able to stop and was even fairly determined that the pills wouldn’t work.
    It disgusts me now that I used to do that to myself. Took up cycling about a year ago, play more sports with kids and have even manged to drop almost 5 stone in weight.

Cravings last the briefest of time. Stick with it and think every day of the money you are saving and the benefits to your health. Good on ya.

Hohum
    Free Member

Keep staying off them OP!

I stopped almost 3 years ago now via the cold turkey method.

Take a piece of A4 paper and write down the pros and cons of smoking. The only pro I can think of is that smoking was a great laxative and kept me regular….

The cravings will diminish over time, but IME they never really go, but they do change and get easier. When you get a bad one just tell yourself “this too shall pass”.

I have never heard of anyone dying from giving up smoking, but I have heard of many who died not giving up.

Keep at it chap. You may feel rough at times, but it does get better!

yoshimi

4weeks clean, just got home after a meal and cocktails with friends, few times tonight I thought I fancied a cig but sod it, I didn’t, caving in and having a smoke is the easiest thing in the world to do….but so is not caving in! Stay strong, stay cool!

samuri
    Free Member

Harsh, but I predict the day smoking will be banned in public in the next few years…and I will welcome it.

There is no-one more vitriolic about smoking than an ex-smoker. I’m terrible. I’ll throw cigarette butts back into a car when someone throws them out. I’ll refuse to get in a taxi when it smells of smoke and then I’ll phone the firm to complain.

I’m right too. It’s not a privilege, it’s a plague. The sooner smoking is banned forever, everywhere , the better. It’s a horrible, disgusting, dangerous addiction.

Yep, people should be able to do what they want but smoking infects others who never smoke. Ask Roy Castle who never smoked and yet died of lung cancer, almost certainly because he played in smoke filled jazz clubs.

I quite liked having a fag, I got a buzz from it and I actually thought it looked quite cool at times but now I am 100% behind banning cigs forever and machine gunning those that profit from their sale.

teasel
    Free Member

…contrary to their perception, smokers do not receive a boost from smoking a cigarette: smoking only relieves the withdrawal symptoms from the previous cigarette, which in turn creates more withdrawal symptoms once it is finished. In this way the drug addiction perpetuates itself. He asserted that the “relief” smokers feel on lighting a cigarette, the feeling of being “back to normal”, is the feeling experienced by non-smokers all the time. So that smokers, when they light a cigarette are really trying to achieve a state that non-smokers enjoy their whole lives. He further asserted that withdrawal symptoms are actually created by doubt and fear in the mind of the ex-smoker, and therefore that stopping smoking is not as traumatic as is commonly assumed, if that doubt and fear can be removed.

From the Allen Carr Wiki page.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Stopped smoking!!’ is closed to new replies.