• This topic has 69 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bails.
Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Stopped by the Police, cycling- legal?
  • faustus

I thought that if you were suspected of committing an offence, then they have to tell you what offence they suspect you of? If not, then in the situation described i’d be asking exactly what it was, and making notes on my phone of the officer’s number and name, all as politely as possible. I’m also someone who would not want to compromise my employment with something silly, but I realise this isn’t going to happen with something at the roadside just by having my address taken. Also, the situation itself sounds very odd, and I wouldn’t accept a PC trying to throw their weight around like that, without a proper (polite) discussion on why they have taken that view and chosen to enforce it in that manner.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you buy a bike without pedals, legally speaking it’s an incomplete bike and as such is not required to come with reflectors of any kind, frame mount, wheel mount or otherwise.

This, and this is why OEM bikes with SPD’s have crappy reflectors built in, or attached to a platform that clips in making the pedals nigh on unuseable

maccruiskeen

The OP’s friend should have told the PC that he was a ‘Freeman of the Land’ – that tends to smooth things over in situations like this 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

his argument was it was illegal to ride on the road when there was a a cycle path adjacent

That’s complete BS – you are under no obligation to ride on a cycle path!

Rule 63 of the HC: “…Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer…”

thegreatape
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member

The OP’s friend should have told the PC that he was a ‘Freeman of the Land’ – that tends to smooth things over in situations like this

Definitely this!

benpinnick

In my experience the police have little or no knowledge of the law when it regards… well most stuff. A police-lady on a bike stopped me and issued me a FPN for not giving way to her as I left a car park, crossing a bike lane as I did so. Thing is, she was a good 20-30m away as I left, oh and was riding on a pavement, not a cycle lane. Despite me attempting to educate her on the difference between pavement and cycle lane she wouldn’t have any of it. Needless to say the FPN was dropped.

taxi25
    Free Member

They threatened to charge him,

By they I assume there was more than one police officer involved ? we have to take the OP’s word that he’s accurately repeating the conversation he had with his friend, but I can’t believe there was two police officers in the same place at the same time, that think it’s illegal to ride a bicycle in daylight without lights, and wearing dark clothing 😯 😯 . I’ve never heard such a thing from even the most Neanderthal of bike haters. Let alone trained police officers !!

aa
    Free Member

I had a similar experience to trail_rat on the A50 in Leicestershire. Dual carriageway, copper drove next to me, wound down passenger window and told me it was illegal to ride on dual carriageway and that I should be on the cyclepath (there isn’t one at that particular point). We had a bit of an argument. He told me point blank to get off.
    I tried to complain to the force but, apparently, they have no idea who was driving and I couldn’t see his number.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s complete BS – you are under no obligation to ride on a cycle path!

Rule 63 of the HC: “…Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer…”

Indeed, but police officers dont listen.

Worth noting that in holland it is how ever compulsory.

fizik
    Free Member

To be fair right or wrong of the police I can’t understand why so many people wear dark clothes, making themselves much harder to see… maybe it makes them look slimmer but I don’t think its particularly clever whether at day or night. Its the all black castelli brigade that really piss me off!

eshershore
    Free Member

@trailrat

I had a similar experience on CS3 super highway in London a few weeks back during evening commute.

work colleague and I riding along Cable Street parallel with CS3. Coppers were stopping traffic at a junction. We were both lit up with flashing bright lights. We slowed right down, and I rode slowly around them about 8 feet from nearest Policeman.

He says “Oi, green hat come here” (I was wearing a bright green Giro MTB helmet).

I go over and he basically told me I should be using the cycle path (CS3) instead of the road. I asked him to inform me of the law about this and he could not.

I told him the cycle path was unsafe as a few 100m back we nearly had a collision with a motorist who turned across CS3 with no warning, and then nearly a head on with a cyclist riding with no lights on the wrong side of the path, which is why we moved onto the road itself.

I asked him whey they were not stopping cyclists with no lights riding past them, or motorists failing to indicate or give priority to cycle path users at clearly marked junctions

He could not accept this, and kept telling me I had no right to be on the road when a cycle path was provided

I actually quoted the highway code to him that I am entitled to use the highway when any cycle path is unsafe, and that I also have a “right of way” to use a bicycle on the highway. He could not accept this, kept arguing with me and calling me “Geez…”.

Mind boggle when those supposed to be upholding the law have no clue?

I’ve asked police before about the ASL law when witnessing traffic offences right next to them at traffic lights during the “operation safeway” events in London and I’ve never had the correct answer from any of them…

PJ266
    Free Member

the all black castelli brigade that really piss me off!

😀

*waves*

devash
    Free Member

The OP’s friend should have told the PC that he was a ‘Freeman of the Land’ – that tends to smooth things over in situations like this

“AM I BEING DETAINED?”

“AM I FREE TO GO?”

😆

Anyone else watched that Panorama Met police corruption documentary on BBC the other night? I try to stay out of the way of plod.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Come up to Scotland, we don’t do any of that Met style pish up here. No Sir, no nobbers in Police Scotland 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Night off road rides of mine sometimes drift onto road at times, but last thing you want to do is be all in hi-viz and reflectors everywhere when you hit the singletrack with tens of thousands of lumens blazing away behind you. How to piss off your riding group 😀

Thankfully it’s quick and easy to dive off the road up paths and head for the nearest bit of woodland and park if the cops are about 😉

xyeti
    Free Member

Now that is weird, I was pootling along up a country lane in the middle of nowhere this afternoon when as if by magic a POLICE car drew along side me 2 up and the passenger with his window down asked me what light i had on the back as you can see it from a fair distance, So i took the oportunity to grab onto the B Pillar and pass pleasantrys for a bit, The driver asked if cars gave you a wide berth with it on? so i said yes they treat you a bit more Special, The passenger said it was a good idea to have them on in daylight especially so nowadays as most cars have either LED daytime lights or drivers put the lights on.

Both Coppers seemed alright, probably both cyclists, they asked how far i was doing and if i was on STRAVA, where i’d set off from etc etc. I was also in BLACK from head to toe, Helmet, Jacket, BAGGY Shorts over my BLACK Howies LYCRA………….

AMBULANCE Drivers on the other hand, Jeeeesus……….. what a bunch of Jobsworths, One actually tried to tell me off, asking how i would feel if i had to go round scraping up Cyclists after accidents! I wouldn’t mind but he nearly fookin knocked me off.

bencooper
    Free Member

Come up to Scotland, we don’t do any of that Met style pish up here. No Sir, no nobbers in Police Scotland

That’s ‘cos we’ve got Quality Polis 😀

My experiences with Strathclyde’s finest is that they’ve been friendly but not the world’s most intellectual thinkers.

I had a cop on a motorbike stop me back in 1995 to congratulate me on my “fantastic light” (50W home made halogen beast)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Medical folk are quite ready to give their opinions on the merits of helmets. They become experts at knowing for sure that you wouldn’t have survived without one, and then proceed to talk about people they’ve scraped up who weren’t wearing one.

phiiiiil

Back in my unicycling days I was out for a ride (Mountain Mayhem training!) going up a steep pavement next to a road when a police car stopped in front; I thought I was going to get a rollocking for riding on the pavement but the guy just wanted to see if I could get back on on such a steep hill! Cheeky bugger.

thegreatape
    Free Member

We try and confine our dimmer brethren to the central belt Ben, where they can be closely supervised and not have to think for themselves too often 🙂

km79
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrlrUy9Avmc[/video]

Never answer their questions!

aP
    Free Member

…and he basically told me I should be using the cycle path (CS3) instead of the road…

Interesting. I think I’d be able to have some fun with that.
    I got pulled over by a traffic car in London in 93 with what was possibly one of the first sets of LED rear lights and told to turn it off because it was distracting them from being to stay on the road.

Bez

Reason: no lights, dressed in dark clothing. They threatened to charge him, but instead, just took his details, and warned him that they ‘didn’t want to see him cycling dressed like that again or he’d be convicted’. Of what, they wouldn’t say. Thoughts/comments?

There’s nothing they could charge him with. Tell him that if they do take any action he should contact CDF.

ransos
    Free Member

I can’t understand why so many people wear dark clothes, making themselves much harder to see… maybe it makes them look slimmer but I don’t think its particularly clever whether at day or night. Its the all black castelli brigade that really piss me off!

Dark clothes don’t make you much harder to see.

molgrips
    Free Member

I go over and he basically told me I should be using the cycle path (CS3) instead of the road. I asked him to inform me of the law about this and he could not.

I know that one. It’s mental when it’s busy, and there are loads of entrances on it. Ought to be one-way contraflow really – the road is hardly busy and has enough space. I don’t blame you for using the road.

eshershore
    Free Member

@molgrips

this is a typical CS3 cycling experience. riding at a reasonable pace in bright daylight, ambulance pulls out across the cycle lane without looking causing cyclists to nearly crash in said ambulance – maybe he was touting for business?

another typical experience – vehicles illegally parked on CS3

and this lovely Veolia garbage truck using CS3 to collect dustbins.

the driver directly caused a young women on a bike to crash, then told other cyclists helping her up to “F*ck off” then became very aggressive, before getting back in and continuing to drive along CS3 stoping periodically. Police were called, driver arrested

bencooper
    Free Member

We try and confine our dimmer brethren to the central belt Ben, where they can be closely supervised and not have to think for themselves too often

True story: My parents’ house was broken into when they were away, taking their car and loads of things, the burglars were caught almost immediately when their neighbour spotted them unloading the stolen car.

Police got me to drive the car back home, and then the detectives told me to get all the valuable stuff back inside. Then one of them said “hang on, SoC will have to photograph the car boot”, so we put everything back in the car boot for the photographs 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

driver arrested

😆

bails

Worth noting that in holland it is how ever compulsory.

It’s kind of a different setup there though:

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Stopped by the Police, cycling- legal?’ is closed to new replies.