• This topic has 23 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Stop my helmet stinking
  • Murray

Just worked out that the horrible stink when I ride isn’t my jacket, shorts or pack – it’s my helmet.

How con I kill the pong before it kills my nose?

aP
    Free Member

Have a shower, take it in and wash your helmet at the same time 😉

Cougar

martinhutch

Muuuust resssiiist…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPEUy8cBrU[/video]

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Polish it more frequently?

jambalaya
    Free Member

You could try the scholl deodorising shoe/boot spray, seems to work pretty well on my stinky footwear

this stuff, the yellow tin

IA

Take the pads out, raid the cupboards for one of the little mesh bags that go in the washing machine for tablets etc, put pads in bag, bung in the next wash.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Shake n vac

Kryton57

I use this:

😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@Kryton – every once in a while I am genuinely lost for words ^^^

Tom83

Ahh yes, I was about to recommend Neem leaf, but krytons bottle seems far easier! Plus its organic!

hs125
    Free Member

A sink full of hot water with biological washing liquid does the job. I don’t think it’s worth taking the pads out, because the straps will stink too, so do it all in one go.

Murray

Thanks for the replies (apart from Kryton’s – too much info 🙂 ).

I found some of this on the shelf in my office

and will give it a go

Washing machine seems not gentle enough for my helmet but polishing it more frequently seems a good idea 😉

edlong
    Free Member

One for next time – I’ve found that always wearing a buff on my head vastly reduces the amount of stinkiness that generates in the first place.

Philby

+1 for wearing a buff – also stops sweat running into your eyes.

pearlbaz
    Free Member

I think the smell comes from bacteria that thrive in the pads when it stays damp. I’ve found if you get it on a heater immediately after a ride and this will stop the smell. The faster you dry it the less the bacteria breed.

blurty

I use this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sink-the-Stink-/111172271546?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Scuba_SnorkellingEquipment_SM&hash=item19e2623dba

seems to be able to even sure reeking climbing shoes (which is saying something)

gordimhor

By far the best way is to get someone else to polish your helmet while you lie back and…….well you just lie back 😀

teef
    Free Member

Put the helmet in a bucket with a brick on top – add water and baby bottle sterilizing fluid and leave for a few hours.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I saw the thread title and knew this wasn’t going to go well, and Kryton didn’t disappoint. Made me giggle did that. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Being serious, like what I am – I find soaking up the sweat with kitchen roll after each ride stops the helmet requiring a wash quite so often.

(Oh dear. Sounds a bit Finbar, but tis true.)

perthmtb
    Free Member

I sweat a lot, live in a hot climate (it was 38c over the weekend), and commute by bike every day. My solution – just rinse pads and strap in the sink with a bit of detergent each day – and dry over night. Having three sets of removable pads helps so I can rotate them. You wouldn’t wear the same sweaty socks day after day without washing them – so why do it with a helmet?

xterramac
    Free Member

Buff helmet liner pro!!!! “A short buff for use under helmet, made from fastwick extra plus, highly breathable and absorbs sweat, while being fast drying.” If that isn’t enough, its got Pro in the name 8)

DezB
    Free Member

You wouldn’t wear the same sweaty socks day after day without washing them – so why do it with a helmet?

If my head smelt like my feet, I probably would wash it every day 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Stop my helmet stinking’ is closed to new replies.