• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Stop me wanting / buying a new bike!
  • bighairydel

After weighing my bike ( cube fritzz 160 ) and discovering the reason why my legs are sore after big rides I have a massive itch to get a lighter weight bike.
    My bike weighs just over 15kg!
    Its pretty bog standard other than wider bars and better tyres and brakes so I am considering a cheaper option of some weight saving but not sure it will be money worth spending? New wheels? Tubeless? 1 x 10 setup?

Would these make a massive or worthwhile difference?

Not sure how heavy the standard wheels are but if it anything like the rest of the bike they will weigh a bloody ton!

I don’t want to go out and spend money for no major gains if it means a new bike is required after all!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

26″ wheels are all kinds of cheap at the moment – why not try a new pair?

Yo can weight your wheelsd on a set of kitchen scales if you’re sneaky 😉

Tyres are an easy area to save a lot of weight too – what are you running?

cokie

I assume it’s this bike?

Frame: HPA Ultralight, Advanced Hydroform, Triple Butted, ETC 4-Link, ISCG mount, AXH

Rear Shock: Manitou Radium Pro DC RL, 216x64mm, Rebound, Lockout

Fork: Rock Shox Pike RC Solo Air 27.5, 15QR Maxle, tapered, 160mm

Headset: FSA Orbit 1.5E ZS, top zero-stack 1 1/8 (OD 44mm), bottom zero-stack 1 1/2 (OD 56mm)

Stem: Race Face Chester 31.8mm

Speed: 20

Front Mech: Shimano Deore FD-M616-D, direct mount, Down Swing

Rear Mech: Shimano XT, RD-M781-GSL, Shadow, medium cage

Shifters: Shimano Deore SL-M610-I Rapidfire-Plus

Chainset: Shimano Deore, FC-M615, 24/38T, 175mm

Front Brake: Formula C1 hydr. Disc 203

Rear Brake: Formula C1 hydr. Disc 180

Rims: CUBE EX 23.7, 584x23C rim, 32H

Front Hub: CUBE EX 23.7, 100x15mm

Rear Hub: CUBE EX 23.7, 142x12mm

Tyres: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 Front Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 Rear

Seatpost: CUBE Performance 31.6*400mm

I’d look at changing wheels (maybe to Arch Ex on ProII) and run tubeless, going 1×10 and changing the deore cassette for XT/SLX. You could make all those changes for £350 ish and knock off at least 1.5 kg.

honourablegeorge

Hard to say without knowing what the current bits are, but for me, lighter wheels & tyres plus tubeless makes a night and day difference to a bike.

The new generation of 160 forks make a big difference to weight too.

1×10, if the gearing suits you, can knock a pound or off depending on your current setup.

chiefgrooveguru

After weighing my bike ( cube fritzz 160 ) and discovering the reason why my legs are sore after big rides I have a massive itch to get a lighter weight bike.

Your legs are sore because you’ve done a big ride. The weight of your bike has basically no bearing on it. If you live up to your username then your bike is at most 15% of the weight of you and it combined. If it was a really light 160mm bike it might weigh 12-13kg. 14kg would be normal, 15kg is only slightly on the heavy side. Spend £6k on a 12kg 160mm bling machine and the two of you will weigh up to 3% less. Tiny difference.

Going tubeless will make more difference – not because of the weight but because of the rolling resistance.

bighairydel

@ Cokie – that’s the very one, changed the tyres out for the pacestar and trailstar versions.

This is exactly the wake up call I need, now to start looking for the bits! Anyone know of any deals on the wheels mentioned above? Or alternatives?

bighairydel

Also would changing tyres help? Im running the Hans Dampfs 2.4’s just now. Was thinking maybe Maxxis or maybe not as wide a tyre?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Decent wheels, properly built ones not bog standard! – last year I upgraded to a decent set of wheels – the front was a beer swap for a Sunringle Blackflag pro (meant to be a stop gap but is really very good) and a new EN721 with Hope ProII, genuinely felt like a different bike. Find a wheel builder, cheaper than a new bike.

bighairydel

Cheers surroundedbyhills, think its probably the route i’ll go, seen these wheels from superstar, are they decent enough?

drapper
    Free Member

Can we have a picture of you? not the bike…….. I thinking less analysing and more pedalling/riding = fitness and strength key!

svalgis
    Free Member

You probably won’t be less knackered if you ride a lighter bike or get fitter – just go a little faster.

bighairydel

haha drapper & svalgis – yous could have a point!

6’2 and weigh about 85kgs.

drapper
    Free Member

I’m serious – I bought a carbon Giat XTC a few years back as it was light and I wasn’t! hahah It made very little difference. I sold it and went back to a mid weight rocky mountain and got my weight down by 4 stone and boom – speed and strength grew – now I’m not saying light isn’t what we all/I strive for but it is usually the rider that’s the issue! peace

emac65
    Free Member

6’2″ & 85 kg aint exactly fat … I’d say go for a lighter wheel build & faster rolling tyres..I like the Nic/Ralph front/rear combo

Trekster

As some above are suggesting losing weight from the bike won’t be any substitute for losing some of your own and getting fitter 💡
    Speaking from recent experience having changed my 10yr old bike for a new one. Currently hovering around the 15st mark, not riding as much and lacking in general exercise for various reasons I am struggling for fitness, nothing to do with the bike…..
    4/5/6hr hike’a bike days out used to be a dawdle, now rare 🙄

ThePinkster

If you like the way the bike rides then my first suggestion would be lighter wheels, especially lighter at the rim/tyre.
    While this won’t reduce the overall mass very much the difference in the rotational mass of the wheels will be significant and you’ll notice it pretty quickly as the wheels will accelerate much faster.

cokie

seen these wheels from superstar, are they decent enough?

Personally I wouldn’t touch Superstar wheels. They haven’t got a good customer service history and there’s numerous reliability issues.

I’d go for a nice set of Hope Hoops- ProII on Arch Ex in 650b flavour.
    This is a great deal

Tyres are very personal, and one riders perfect setup is another rides worst setup. The HD tyres are heavy though. Maybe a Spec Purgatory rear and Butcher front?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Stop me wanting / buying a new bike!’ is closed to new replies.