Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • stop me from buying a garmin edge 800
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve been wanting something like this for ages. I was originally going to get the satmap last year because of the OS mapping (before the 800 came out) because the 705 looked crap at maps TBH.

I’m interested in the enduro pack which has all the training stuff (HR , cadence) but also the 1:50k OS map of the UK.

So anything that’s bad about them? (I heard about the cracked screens but apparently it’s sorted now with the new ones)

Janesy
    Free Member

To your thread title = NO!

trickydisco
    Free Member

🙂

Have you got one?

foxyrider
    Free Member

The 1:50K is not as good as I thought – I still use the vector based openstreetmap for navigating but flick to the 50K is I want to see where trails go i.e. new ones. I think the 1:25K would be a better bet for off road. The screen is not very reflective and so I have my screen light on for nav. Also my broken one has now been replaced and now has a makeshift screen protector on it. I think my old 705 was more robust for off roading!

trickydisco
    Free Member

How about on road? Can you navigate okay for road on 1:50k?

I know when a friend used the 705 when we cycled to Barcelona i wanted to throw the thing away because the mapping was crap (or maybe user)

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would say its OK but its to do with the brightness and contrast really on the OS mapping. I think its best with topo/openstreetmap maps myself if you are going any speed 🙂 I have not tried actual navigation i.e. turn by turn with it yet though! I tend to upload a course file and follow the line anyhow 🙂 Don’t get me wrong I do like it but I find the screen a little of a let down really 🙁

On the road I don’t really want all the details i.e. woodland, cul-de-sacs etc.

Janesy
    Free Member

Tricky, Yes I do have one, I find the maps are perfectly acceptable, and what you’d expect on a small device. It’s a nice upgrade from a 705 🙂

Foxyrider – you do know that you can zoom in and out for more detail?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Jansey – yes I do (I know the thing inside and out as I am a tech geek!) but I still find the OS map detail fuzzy for road riding really if I am doing say a sportive/audax type thing. Maybe in the summer with brighter weather I can turn off the back light?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘stop me from buying a garmin edge 800’ is closed to new replies.