Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Stooge review by singletrack.
  • singlespeedstu

Stache’s ETT with a 50 stem is EXACTLY the same as Stooge with 90 stem

Some one doesn’t know what an ETT is. 😉
    You out on your XL today Nige?
    I’d like a closer look at that.

bonesetter
    Free Member

lol – yes, poor wordage, but YKWIM

Yes, Just about to go over Clent

RustySpanner

Who THE HELL does Jeff Dreadnought think he is?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

He even calls himself ‘Jonestown’, giveaway, or what? 😉

Seriously, all this, from 1, not that critical review?

If you want all day comfort, and hoonability in the woods, just get a Jones 😀

singlespeedstu

Will you be stopping for refresments anywhere?

bonesetter
    Free Member

No, it’s a straight up and over and back home – refreshing later at The ‘House 🙂

Can fit in with anything you have in mind though

singlespeedstu

We’re just heading out for a loop round this way then heading to The House to finish the ride off…

sillyoldman

You can make many frames “fit” different people by pissing about with stem lengths, bar height, seatpost offset, and saddle height but that doesn’t mean that the rider’s weight distribution is appropriate.

It’s a pretty bike with fairly clear inspiration origins.

I think a lot of people convince themselves it “fits” them because it’s pretty, and the want to support the “little guy” – fair enough.

If this was made by Trek, Spesh, or even Santa Cruz people would be rolling in the aisles about the flexible fit approach.

People getting upset about a review (by a very experienced rider) that they don’t agree with is odd to say the least.

Clink

People getting upset about a review (by a very experienced rider) that they don’t agree with is odd to say the least.

Not upset, but equally surely it would be strange not to point out that some people, myself included, found the polar opposite of some of the review findings? Nothing wrong with a review, but equally nothing wrong with saying how and why you disagree. Life would be boring if we all liked the same stuff.

sillyoldman

Point out – fair enough. People underlining said point a dozen times with marker pen is maybe a bit OTT.

😉

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I’m average, probably in more ways than one, but that’s for another forum 8O. But just got Cokies old Stooge and started the build last night and can say that with a layback post and a 70mm stem, seems to be within my expected reach, although cant ride it yet as have no wheels until bits turn up, so cant question its rideability yet. Next weekend I can join in the conversation a bit more though…….

jonestown
    Free Member

Brian Jonestown Massacre

[video]https://youtu.be/3LeAsyqRNTI[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

How tall was the reviewer then?

mrvear
    Free Member

I’m not upset by the review, just a bit miffed as I find mine very comfortable on all day rides, plenty of room for bikepacking kit, handles well fully loaded up and confidence inspiring on rocky descents. I live and ride in the lakedistrict. The bike beats me up a little on rutted grassy stuff but really holds its own in the rocky stuff. I’m 6,3 and the bike fits well. Thompson layback post, 90mm stem and loop bars.

amedias
    Free Member

I’m not upset by the review, just a bit miffed

miffed
    m?ft/
    adjectiveinformal
    somewhat annoyed; peeved.

I can understand being curious, confused or otherwise inquisitive, but miffed does imply a more emotional repsonse.

One guy had an experience and reported it, your experience may differ, and just because he found it uncomfortable doesn’t mean other people will, as clearly you don’t!

Reviews are always subjective, and should be taken as such, nimble Vs nervous, stable Vs boring, comfortable Vs flexy etc.

The important thing is that you like your bike, but don;t go getting miffed if someone else doesn’t.

BadlyWiredDog

Bike reviewers can’t win can they? If they review something positively then it’s because they’re corrupt and in thrall to the big dollars of the bike industry. And if they don’t like it then they’re dishonest and wrong, but presumably not in thrall to the big dollars of the bike industry. And gawd forbid that they should have a different opinion to the completely rational and independent owners of said bike. Though of course if they were to agree, they might potentially be in thrall, you know the rest…

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m far from convinced by the one size approach but Mr Stooge in his earlier reply did seem to make clear that it’s through necessity rather than because he’s claiming that one size is ideal for all – ie he’s small and it costs to make several sizes.

It’s interesting that many claim it looks good though – I put it firmly in the ugly but possibly functional category.

FWIW, I’m 6’5″ and just about my favourite ever bike was too small for me (19″ Rocky Mountain) but with a long stem and layback post it rode brilliantly. Except for steep climbs where it was crap (massive front wheel lift).

tomhoward

i’d have thought all the owners would be happy at a sub par review. Stops the uneducated hoards going out and buying one, reducing the niche factor.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

So today was my first ride on the Stooge Mk1. I had swopped the majority of bits off my Ti Pipedream Modro, which I had used for 12 years and so up upwheel from 26 inch to 29 was required. I bought the same rims albeit larger 717 to 719’s and fitted Michelin Mud 2.0 tyres. Some may question tyres , as these Stooges are a halfway house to fat bikes, but mines a winter mud plugger. I built the wheels with DT revolution spokes onto my Phil Wood hubs. Other than a chainring change from 34 t to 32 t, the bikes were swopped. So my findings.
    Well,it is a more upright ride, which to be honest is better for my ageing back and also seems something after 35 miles, I never thought twice about today. It also cut my numb hand syndrome down from every 10 minutes needing a shakey hand to every 45 mins. It climbed well enough, although it has gained 3.5 lbs over the Ti Pipedream, but not enough to worry me. It seemed to hide the larger wheel in handling abd found it very direct . Having swopped bikes mid ride with a mate and his new Spesh 29 er, that felt very numb to ride and quite lethargic. I suppose the big question is comfort. Well, it does remind me of my old Inbred, with the steel deadening the bumps before it got to me. As a fully rigid bike, with those 2.0 mud tyres, I can honestly say it is a very comfy bike to ride. Both front and rear just rumbled along and didn’t really throw me off line or do anything dramatic to feel I was loosing control at all. On another note, I find those Michelin tyres totally amazing in the clay and clag I was venturing into today. Don’t really want to say how good they are, so Chain reduce them again and I can get some spares.
    As said by others, I don’t quite get where the discomfort from the reviewer came from, as to me it was spot on. There was enough stiffness in the rear to give a decent spring to accelerate but more than ample compliance, along with my Charge saddle to come home and less battered than the Ti frame from previous. I did suffer also from seatpost issues, but that’s more than likely a Thomson problem, judging by reviews from others and also suffering this on my Cannondale 29 er.
    I have just cleaned it and hung my lights on it to commute this week on the Stooge, so I think that answers the questions on my overall review on the frame.

cokie

Looks great Thrustyjust! Glad you find it comfortable too.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Cheers Cokie, if you get withdrawal symptoms, then you can have a ride on it anytime 😀

cokie

Ah, cheers! You’ll have to have a go on the Ti version (when I get round to buying it).

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I’d loved to have a go, although when the wifes out, or you’ll be banned from coming round with it !!

ctk
    Free Member

I think its the fact its the only negative review EVER that is upsetting some people.

nemesis
    Free Member

How many reviews have there been by people who haven’t paid for one?

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Stooge review by singletrack.’ is closed to new replies.