Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • miranmtb
    Free Member

Still a few thing to iron out … but I really really like this bike.

Markdubya
    Free Member

I’m so close to pressing the buy button on one of these. The look and geometry looks bang on, I’m just not convinced on the sizing. Is anyone out there 6 foot or 6’1 riding one if so what is your set up? Is there one in the central highlands of scotland where I can throw a leg over? Cheers Mark.

jonestown
    Free Member

Markdubya, i’m just shy of 6′ and i designed the bike for me, so if you’re 6’1 you’ll have no problems. Bonesetter on here is 6’2.

The frame isn’t a one size fits all, it’s more that i only produce one size. Having said that, the 18″ seat-tube is also misleading as it suggests it’s sized like a regular ‘medium’ bike, which it isn’t. The size is closer to a ‘Large’ Santa Cruz, or if it was following the trend of a lot of bike companies it would be an ‘actual’ 18, but a virtual 19.5, if that makes sense. With a 90 stem and 35mm of spacers it’s pretty damned massive, in fact. At the other end of the scale, the big stand over clearance, combined with a stubby stem and no spacers mean the bike can be shrunk to fit someone much shorter. But the ideal size rider would be between 5’9 and 6’1.

Hope that all makes sense 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Markdubya
    Free Member

Yeah that makes total sense, many thanks for the clarification. It is always hard to tell from forums/reviews as everyone is different. Do you still have any purple ones left?
    Cheers
    Mark

jonestown
    Free Member

yes i do, down to the last few though.

cheers, Andy

vondally
    Free Member

so called into Keep Pedalling on Manchester, great shop and patient,honest people, to look at the stooge. So this is all based on a shop look and sit on as it was torrential rain putside.

Colours both are stunning in the real world. Hard choice………..

Sizing at just 6ft and shrinking it seemed right, but had layback post and salsa 17 bend handlebars so hard to tell. Lots of spacers under stem so felt very ‘high’. I have had large Santa Cruz and would agree feels like that size.

Design is just loverly, really retro and unusual.

Weight felt okay in single speed with no fancy parts just solid stuff XT that I would use.

Tyres plenty of space for Conti 2.4’s.

I confess to being smitten and off back on a dry day for a ride. 😀

ska-49
    Free Member

Is it wrong that I want to build my Aqua stooge with many purple parts? 😛

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Is it wrong that I want to build my Aqua stooge with many purple parts?

Classic Yeti Ultimate colourscheme 8)

mattjg
    Free Member

Sizing: I’m about 5’7-8″, Cheezpleez is maybe an inch taller to me, his Stooge felt good to me with a 60mm stem and wide bars.

monkeyrider
    Free Member

I am 6’1″ and ran my Stooge with setback setpost and Salsa bend2 23degr (70cm) on both 70 and 90 stems. No problem to get seated well.

Now I run it singlespeed with Marybar and 90mm stem.
    Great singlespeeder !!!!

majestic

any one used it for bikepacking duties yet?

miranmtb
    Free Member

Also interested in bikepacking setups.

A range of custom frame bags are also on their way to fit the main triangle perfectly.

Any news about this?

Markdubya
    Free Member

Plum crazy ordered tonight from ctbm!! Soooo excited

chipster

Has this thread not gone away yet?

Paceman
    Free Member

ska-49 – Member

Is it wrong that I want to build my Aqua stooge with many purple parts?

Feels right to me 😀

julioflo
    Free Member

Keen to know how Cheezeez is getting on with his Stooge? More a question of how much slacker is it than his inbred. Asking as I have a Scandal and fancy something just a tad slacker. But seem to remember that the old On-one 29er HA was 70• with sag. So wondering if it is intact similar to the Stooge…

miranmtb
    Free Member

It’s much slacker than the inbred. Inbred (or scandal) is great as a more traditional xc bike, the stooge is totally different and better in many ways. The high front position is strange at first if you are used to an a traditional frame like inbred or scandal, but somehow works great. It goes downhill like no other rigid bike i have tried and on most stuff I am faster than on a inbred with 100mm Rebas. The confidence it inspires when going down is incredible. Don’t have to drop the seat anymore except for really steep and nasty stuff. When going up you just lean slightly forward and push on the pedals and it goes like a train. I was afraid that the front will feel vague but its not even on steep stuff. The only drawback can be the weight but it feels solid rather than porky when riding.

julioflo
    Free Member

Thanks miranmtb. You’re selling it to me. Going to have to see if I can try one over the autumn.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I rode my ti Kona Raijin with a Niner RDO carbon taper fork yesterday – first time in ages… man, by comparison it’s heavy on the front. Real thudding and when I first built that up I thought it the dogs

I changed the stem for a shorter one (90 to 70)put a set of Salsa Bend bars on, and another spacer under the stem. This helped a lot, but was still no-where near and still so slow and thuddy. That was with a Nans Dampf at 18 psi

It was nice on the flat, but just couldn’t get the flow going down. Stooge just blasts down in comparison, like a full squish bike, really

The Knard is almost airless now – god knows what psi, but that’s the whole point – there’s so little of your weight on the front you can run it so low

doof_doof
    Free Member

Bonesetter – out of interest, how does the Stooge compare to your By:Stickel?

miranmtb
    Free Member

There is a lot of hype about this bike in this thread, but as I found out in this case it is justified. For me it’s like when I switched from a 26 hardtail to a rigid inbred 29er so many years ago.
    All other bikes feel strange and outdated in comparison to my stooge now.
    Haven’t tried the knard yet (use a “normal” 2.4 chunky monkey on the front) but carbon bars (on one Knuckleball in chewy version) and soft grips (ESI chunky) also make a huge difference in comfort on a rigid bike.

chipster

I’m on holiday next week, I can’t afford one. Please, let this thread die.
    Thanks.

vorlich
    Free Member

I keep coming back to this thread. If I didn’t have a diamond Jones already, I’d have probably bought one of these. Lovely looking, and if they ride half as good as my Jones does…

jonestown
    Free Member

Mirianmtb, re bags, they’re a little way off right now but i’ll shout you as soon as they’re on the way. Glad you like the bike, by the way 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Did the same loop yesterday on the Stooge as I had on the Raijin…

Dear me how different can two rigid bikes be

From being slow and jarring to easy, big speed with massive grin was just great

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

any one used it for bikepacking duties yet?

Hopefully I’ll be taking Andy (Mr Stooge) out over the next few weeks for a night or two … might even drag him over some of this years BB 200 route but don’t tell him 😉

ska-49
    Free Member

Build finished for Winter. I’ll build it up with some niceer parts post-muck/grit season.

martinh
    Free Member

Good looking build ska. When are you planning on bring it over to Swinley? I’d love to take a closer look

core

I’ve got to say, I wasn’t convinced by the stooge originally, the colours or frame design. But now, I sort of want one, very much, just looks and sounds ideal for local woods riding, especially in winter ss guise!

Haven’t finished my scandal build yet though….. 🙁

mattjg
    Free Member

good looking build, what’s with the crossed brake hoses, are you running Euro-style?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

ska, that is wonderful looking, great pics too 8) I’d only suggest doing something with those Stans rim decals, either remove or colourcode (tarty I know but hey ho).

I click on this thread far too many times for my own liking, if I hadn’t had a Rooster coming I’d have had one of these by now!

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of de-stickering rims myself. Small snag is I have a set of Crests and a set of Arch Ex and have to keep a close eye on which is which! (Luckily they have different rotors on).

@ska drop me a mail in a couple of weeks when you decide to sell this on

ton

really like the look of these stooge bikes. been in the market for a slacker 29r myself.
    But, how can 1 size bike work for anyone. i have a mate who is 5ft 2” and i am 6ft 4”, how can we both ride the same frame.
    if i were to buy one of these, and ran it with a 450mm seatpost, which i would have to, i am pretty sure that the frame/seatpost would end up damaged.

thoughts please.

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s claimed that one size fits all, just that the make so far has opted to make only one size – though it does ‘fit many’.

There is a response on this from the maker themselves if you look back through the thread.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Stooge ’Review’

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice review that – prettyy much exactly reflects what I found

I like his comment:

The seasoned rigid rider will feel like they’ve just discovered Colonial Sanders secret recipe and the newbie will probably wonder why they ever bothered with suspension in the first place.

So, who’s tried experimenting with BB position (review comment on climbing prowess)??

I’ve left mine in the ‘shortest chainstay position’ so far

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ouch, that hurt a bit…

The Knard’s days are numbered

mattjg
    Free Member

story to tell? (bones to set?)

Mal-ec
    Free Member

I’m 1/2 way between lowest + shortest rear axle to BB length. Climbs really really well, not sure if changing the BB position would change this massively. Apart from that the review rings true with my experiences.

Roll on Maxxis 29+ tyre / Dirt Wizzards.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts