Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

We’re presuming you went Sky Blue

Nice pics btw

placid_casual
    Free Member

You know what? I didn’t.

I went for ‘Plum Crazy‘. I’m a sucker for a back-story and loved Andy’s explaination of how he came to order his bikes in purple.

It cries out for gold components…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Do post up some pics, I’m sure it doesn’t look like those cars

jonestown
    Free Member

And now i’m thinking about…. Hemi-Orange

jonestown
    Free Member

but seriously, thanks for putting the photos up, Guys, hope you’re all very happy with your new bikes 🙂

Clink

What bars in the pics?

jonestown
    Free Member

Salsa Bend 2 bars, 23 degree. I’ve tried lots on this bike (regular flats, Jones Bend bars) and these, for me, seem to offer the best combination f comfort and flickability. Recommend them a lot. Charlie the Bikemonger has stock at the moment.

weeksy

That’s a pretty piece of kit that.

bonesetter
    Free Member

You haven’t tried those Kodex bars though 😉

Keef
    Free Member

re. rear clearance….

I tried a KH 47mm rim,with a WTB Weirwolf 2.55 (the old ones) in,fitted a treat 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

Just added the finishing parts to complete the build and have just got back from few minute ride over the woods to walk the dog…

This now gives me enough pedal time to give a Stooge pro review 🙂

It rides just how I imagined it would

I like it

It fits fine

placid_casual
    Free Member

For those folks that have been waiting to see the purple frame, lock up your credit cards and
    click here.

The colour is actually ‘Plum Crazy’ and was liberated from a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner. Raises the question though of what colour components to fit…

placid_casual
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nxX1BY]Stooge in Plum Crazy[/url] by placid casual, on Flickr

AlexSimon

Both colours look fantastic – I bet there’s a few who can’t decide!

placid_casual
    Free Member

Both colours look fantastic – I bet there’s a few who can’t decide!

On Sunday I had one of each in either hand for quite a while…

AlexSimon

The more I look at it the more that I think that purple is really superb.

jonestown
    Free Member

The Purple is a limited edition of 20, just so you know 😉

placid_casual
    Free Member

Any built up pictures yet? Come on folks, your audience is waiting…

placid_casual
    Free Member

Now with forks and a bit of Hope purple…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nBgkgV]Stooge[/url] by placid casual, on Flickr

Clink

Awesome colour!

Paceman
    Free Member

Please, please, please stop posting photos of the Stooge, I may not be able to resist much longer 😯

Clink

I’ve bought some brakes ‘just in case’ I can’t resist 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Placid, that looks awesome but you have your tyres the wrong way round!

chipster

Post some more, please, just as soon as you’re ready.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What’s the timescale for ones with a normal BB?

jonestown
    Free Member

The first 100 frames all have EBB. If they sell and there’s a second run, i’ll probably do 50/50.

Clink, your new brakes need a home. 🙂

Clink

Clink, your new brakes need a home.

I know!

bonesetter
    Free Member

deejayen
    Free Member

Very nice! Any ride reports…?

jonestown
    Free Member

bonesetter
    Free Member

3 decent rides in now and am getting a very nice flow with it

The front is incredibly light… yet well planted

The bike is responsive for sure and quickly forms a how far you going to go type of relationship. Very nearly came unstuck having too much fun today 🙂

It does everything you need it to. Climbs, mashing is great of course, and honks it down rollercoaster stylee

Gush end

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ proper looking machine 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

What’s the tyre clearance with this framset; i.e. can you fit 29+ rims and 3″ tyres front and back as well?

Looks great by the way 🙂

Clink

All looking great. 😀

The BIG question (at least for me!) is has anybody yet ridden a Stooge and a Jones to compare?

The shorter fork on the Jones, IMO, is what makes it so brilliant over rough ground, so precise. Although a different beast the Ragley TD1 was also great due to the shorter axle to crown on the fork – much more stiff, less flutter. On the other hand I couldn’t get on with the Jones climbing out of the saddle ss on Jones bars – bars always felt too close to my body.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Why do you need to compare?

The Jones geo does give a short cockpit, especially when standing climbing

jonestown
    Free Member

Martin has both now, though i’m not sure he’s on here.

Re the 29+ rear end, no it won’t, but it will take a wide rim with a 2.4 or 2.5 rear tyre with plenty of room to spare. There’s a reason behind this, and that’s short stays. I wanted the Stooge to have a light front end that can be placed anywhere at any time, 29+ doesn’t really lend itself to this due to the need for longer stays.

Also, The Knard is a brilliant front tyre for absorbing trail chatter. I don’t think this is anywhere near as important on the back and prefer a lighter, tighter tyre to aid acceleration.

I guess this is just my take on it. I designed the bike having ridden loads of rigid bikes over the years, all of which felt wrong in some way, shape or form. For me, the Stooge feels absolutely perfect. i can ride down anything i want and at any speed and it inspires nothing but confidence. I’ve not ridden a Jones so couldn’t compare, but the Stooge is longer and slacker, albeit slightly.

All i really wanted to do was bring a fast and fun rigid bike into existence at a price that isn’t prohibitive, that allows people to discover that a simple bike with great geometry is a genuine option.

Old trails become new trails, your skill levels go through the roof, and no more wasting hundreds of pounds on new Fox sliders because you forgot to service them every 30 hours 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Best ride yet yesterday. What can I say except the bike and rider are getting more synergised

The riding is getting more comfortably quick, easier to get round/over stuff etc etc…

The bike is doing exactly what I was hoping for, and more. It is a lot more fun than I had imagined it would be. While it does the bump absorption stuff admirably while still being a rigid, has a beautifully weighted front and overall benign balance.

It is as comfortable as any other bike inc dare I say a full suss (for my woods riding, hilly terrain), but what is continuing to make my smile grow wider each ride is the fun factor.

It really is staggering what a rigid bike can do

All as the above and more

jonestown
    Free Member

Re the fork length, i designed them this height because i wanted the front end to be tall. If i’d used a regular fork the headtube would have appreared too long, i think.

I’m interested to know peoples views on rigid forks. My take is that a bit of flex is a benefit for comfort and ride qaulity. The whole idea behind a ‘fork’ is that it provides a little spring to the ride, isn’t it?

bonesetter
    Free Member

In other words why ‘design out’ the inherent spring benefit of steel?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.