Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • STATO
    Free Member

due to popular demand i’ll be adding these figures to the geometry chart in the next few days reach = 427mm stack = 584mm

thanks, longer than expected. Same reach as my old Large Spearfish, bit lower too.

garage-dweller

Quick question for owners how do they climb?

Is it more winch slowly / SS grunting / mild chore to the top or a bit more lively/xc in nature (appreciating it won’t climb like an xc race bike obviously).

wijkd
    Free Member

Best I’ve tried, especially on somewhat technical climbs. Compared to: On-one 456, On-one scandal, Grand Canyon AL.

sumac
    Free Member

So plugging these numbers (reach = 427mm, ETT = 597mm, stack = 584mm) into my old trusty calculator I get like 73.7deg for effective seat angle (website says 72 deg). Should I check my math or is something wrong here?

cokie

Very well! Mines setup singlespeed so on some steep climbs I have to stand and mash. With the long TT its comfortable to do that and you don’t feel to far over the front of the bike. Sitting and spinning is also easy enough. I think the front is more stable than my Whyte T129 on the climbs when sitting.

STATO
    Free Member

So plugging these numbers (reach = 427mm, ETT = 597mm, stack = 584mm) into my old trusty calculator I get like 73.7deg for effective seat angle (website says 72 deg). Should I check my math or is something wrong here?

The seat tube is bent, so 72 at its uppermost, but (as you show with your maths) the effective angle at the point of intersection at the level of the headtube. Of course this means the seat at riding heights will be further back than a 73.8 would have you expect, due to the actual being 72.

dalhalvaig
    Free Member

Excellent climber. Maxxis Chronicle Fr, Nobby Nic 2.35 rear. 3×10. Really just digs in to the hill and you go.

noltae
    Free Member

I’m going to go B9er – slacken her up even more!

garage-dweller

Just a quick thanks to the bods who responded to my climbing post. 😀

frogstomp

In light of the recent weather I decided to give a Mudhugger (FR) a try to keep the grit out of my eyes:

Fits pretty well (with just the modification to add the top straps) and seems to stay in place, but only time will tell. If I can lay my hands on a heat gun (hairdryer didn’t really cut it) I will try and mould the ‘shoulders’ a bit so it sits a little higher – will also keep it in place better too.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Looks quite discrete

However, it does seem a tad low for clearance

I used a crud catcher last winter which worked well

frogstomp

Clearance is about 8-10mm and should improve once I’ve modified the shape a bit.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

dalhalvaig will be along in a minute…I think he’s had mixed success with his. Keeps the face splatter free but that’s about it.

dalhalvaig
    Free Member

In light of the recent weather I decided to give a Mudhugger (FR) a try to keep the grit out of my eyes:

dalhalvaig will be along in a minute…I think he’s had mixed success with his. Keeps the face splatter free but that’s about it.

Doctor on call…

Yes mixed result with my Mudhuggers. The rear definitely keeps my saddle and back clean and dry, the front is keeping a lot of muck off my face, but not everything. I get spray up the from of my jacket/shirt, so am thinking of making a longer extension. I have the Mudhugger extension. The Chronicle gets more past it than the Knard, but the Chronicle clears mud quicker…onto me as it turns out.

You can see below where the mud is getting to…this was with the Knard.

Also the Chronicle has a wider shoulder than the Knard and can scuff the Mudhugger, so am planning another set of tie-wrap holes just below the curve at the top of the fork

rosscopeco
    Free Member

That grass needs a wee trim & the shed could also do with a paint…have you been sitting on your backside all day?! 😀

dalhalvaig
    Free Member

That grass needs a wee trim & the shed could also do with a paint…have you been sitting on your backside all day?!

That’s not even my house!!

rosscopeco
    Free Member

😆

julioflo
    Free Member

Hi, Are there any Stooge in Devon or the SW that can be tried out / demoed?

I was lucky enough to have an evening riding a Jones with a Fat Front and a Jones Plus around my local woods this week, courtesy of Peanut off here and I am hooked. I think the standard Jones and Fat front suited my riding style best of the two. But it was very close. I need to try a Stooge now to add to the complication of which is best for my needs.

spectabilis
    Free Member

I’ll be Stooged up in the Padstow area from the 18th if that helps?

julioflo
    Free Member

Spectabilis – thanks for the heads up. Just looked at the Calendar and I may be free that weekend. Not too far for me to travel either. Cardinham trails about 30mins drive from Padstow….I’ll chase you up if it works out.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

julioflo:
    Charlie the bike monger has one in the shop running 27.5+, spoke to them today about these bad boys.

I’m seriously looking at getting a magenta frame and building it up over winter. with the gen 2 frames, is anyone going 29×3″ front and rear, or 27.5+.
    I’ve got a full fatbike which can run 29×3, but really fancied one of these.
    after speaking to one of the really helpful guys in Charlie’s, he was saying it’d be better running 27.5+. Can any of you current owners give some input. it’s probably going to be 1 x10 gearing, (as I’m not man enough yet for single speed). wanted to go half fat with the tyres as well. what rim widths are you folks running, and how big a tyre have you safely shoehorned on there.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I have a Ti stooge running 27.5+ and will prob not go back to normal 29 on it now after a fair few rides …it’s the best of all worlds

Clink

…but he’s ^ never tried 29+ on front …. But then I’ve never tried 27.5+!

singlecrack
    Free Member

I have tried 29×2.5 and I have a fatty …..too much rolling wieght for my liking I’m afraid Clink

Clink

I have tried 29×2.5 and I have a fatty …..too much rolling wieght for my liking I’m afraid Clink

Just lay off the ciders for a bit 😆

singlecrack
    Free Member

No way ..that’s just stupid talk….oh and weight obviously. .must read text before posting

spectabilis
    Free Member

New tyre time …Just checking out these Goma TNT’s from Vittoria
    This is a 29×2.4 on a Dually in a MK1 frame, comes up LARGE slighlty bigger than the Chunky Monkey that was on previous going to have to swap for the 2.25 I reckon.

jonestown
    Free Member

Evil sovereign-
    The new frame will take a 29×3 on a thinner rim but if you were going to run 29, especially in the winter, it will still work best with a 2.4, there’s plenty more clearance on the new frames, so the tyre in Spectabilis’ picture will fit without problems (sorry Spectabilis 🙁

As for 650+, if you enjoy hooning down technical singletrack and hopping off and over things then its great, it does really good things to the bike’s handling and flickability, just feels a bit more hooligan – but if your riding is more long day in the saddle then the 29er probably wins. The Stooge geometry is designed to have a slightly larger front tyre so if you were running B+ i’d recommend either a 3.25 front/3 rear or a 3/2.8 combo,though i guess it wouldn’t be that important.

From experience, a 2.8 on a 30mm rim spins up lovely, feels really light, a 3.25 feels a lot more draggy. If you’re going to run a 40mm plus rim on the back, make the 3.00 your largest back tyre.

Hope that helps. Have a word with Charlie too 🙂

Jossie

Has anyone tried 650+ and 2 x 10? Just wondering what the clearance is like and wether I need to have a rethink before taking the plunge.

sumac
    Free Member

back to the geometry discussion for anyone who is interested.. I wanted to understand those numbers.. so I checked again the drawing on stooge website – here is what I get: stack 625mm, reach = 405mm, effective seat angle = 73 deg

spectabilis
    Free Member

julioflo – Member
    Spectabilis – thanks for the heads up. Just looked at the Calendar and I may be free that weekend. Not too far for me to travel either. Cardinham trails about 30mins drive from Padstow….I’ll chase you up if it works out.

Unfortunately a change of plans means I can’t take it with us now, sorry for any inconvenience.
    Hope you get the chance to try one soon.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

So has anyone tried anything bigger than a 29+ on the front of their Stooge? I’m thinking the on one carbon fatty forks which maintain the 55deg offset but running 26×4.8?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone got pics of their 27.5+ set-ups?

cokie

I’m struggling to find a rear 27.5+ wheel!
    They all seem to come in pair or have boost axles.
    Is there anyone selling 27.5+ rear wheel builds with 135xQR?!

singlecrack
    Free Member

bonesetter….
    Take a look at @StoogeCycles’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/StoogeCycles/status/645365888972124160?s=09

jonestown
    Free Member

Cokie, you’re best bet would be to get one built by someone like Charlie. The rim will be the most expensive part, but something like a Stan’s Flow will work fine with a WTB 2.8.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks Singlecrack

I’ve just ordered a pair of WTB Scraper rims

And a WTB Trailblazer 2.8 along a Vee 3.25 for up front

Here’s a plus video for anyone interested

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOPrzIOoAD8[/video]

cokie

Bonesetter- what rim are using?
    I’ve found a PACENTI DL31 wheelset (25mm internal) for £270, or Dually for £300 rear.. Would the Pacenti give me enough benefits or is it worth going wider?

bonesetter
    Free Member

The ones linked in my post above 😉

I have zero experience of this wheel size, and in the Stooge frame too, so can’t really comment, however from reading and asking around, it would seem 30mm internal would seem a good minimum with 50 being max

MK1 or MK2 frame dependent

cokie

Ah, I read that wrong- thought the pic was yours and the rims were an upgrade, so was working out what was in the pic.

Anyway, http://www.justridingalong.com/ have got the following suitable rims;
    – Velocity Dually; 39mm internal
    – Velocity Blunt 35; 30mm internal
    – WTB Asym; 29mm internal
    – Ryde Trace Enduro; 29mm internal
    – Pacenti DL31; 25mm internal

The cheapest 30mm internal I’ve built up was £270 (Blunt 35, ProII rear & DT comps).

The wheels going on a Mk1 Stooge.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.