Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • ska-49
    Free Member

I live in the wrong part of the country 🙁
    Essex is mind numbingly flat.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Where is that miran?

AlexSimon

ska-49 – Member

I live in the wrong part of the country
    Essex is mind numbingly flat.
    I’d really, honestly, seriously consider moving. Even allowing for all the hardships involved, living within cycling distance of hills and great trails is life-changing.

bonesetter
    Free Member

He wouldn’t have all those Essex Girls then though 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Amen @Alex.

miranmtb
    Free Member

@bonesetter: Slovenia, at the end of Soca Valley

mattjg
    Free Member

I appreciate the engineering reasons for it but from the point of view of set up and adjustment, the site of the rear brake calliper is the work of a malevolent evil genius.

jonestown
    Free Member

I appreciate the engineering reasons for it but from the point of view of set up and adjustment, the site of the rear brake calliper is the work of a malevolent evil genius.

Ha ha, love it. I have no retort. You need good ball socket allen keys, and a 180 rotor and then it’s fine(r).

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s just about doable with a straight hex key and crossed fingers. 180mm rotor on the rear? Shudder.

I finally (I’ve been sick for a while) managed to get a first build out the door and around a few metres of backwoods singletrack. It does feel like a bike that wants to go fast. But it’ll take me a while to get used to lack of brake dive before I can ride it with any competence.

NormalMan

Pics or it didn’t happen Matt 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

I question myself if it happened.

NormalMan

😆

Which colour did you go for?

Apologies in advance if I missed this somewhere in the thread.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve got the blue as the purple’s sold out now.

Both colours are lovely IMO, but blue’s just as well as I ride a lot with Cheezpleez so 2 purples would have been a bit his’n’hers.

singlecrack
    Free Member

You up and running now Mattjg

mattjg
    Free Member

More or less, done a shakedown 10 minute ride. Gearing’s a bit heavy, may back off on that a bit, and I can’t find my nice reserve stem.

mattjg
    Free Member

Quote from @cheezpleez at the pub “no point locking it, no one’s going to nick a shopping bike”.

martinh
    Free Member

I have a 160 on the back but the had to use a Hope adapter rather than the Formula one. The result is an imperfectly positioned brake that squeals. Now I get told to put a 180 there

mattjg
    Free Member

XT calliper with Shimano mount – 160mm rotor: a little fiddly to set up but works fine on a first test.

jonestown
    Free Member

in all seriousness, a 160 is fine and what it’s designed for, i just got into the habit of bigger brakes. Park Tools make a 5mm allen key that’s angled on the head, means you can get to the bolts a lot easier. They’re about £7 and well worth owning. funnily enough i once tried to fit a Formula brake, it was real pain.

ska-49
    Free Member

I didn’t find fitting the rear brake problematic. In fact I didn’t even notice until you made that point! I must of been lucky- Exo’s on 160mm rotors.

Fitting my Rabbit hole with Maxxis Chronicle front wheel this week- look forward to my first ride. 😀

Cheezpleez

Had my first ride with a Chronicle/Dually combo at the weekend. I was impressed. It coped with very wet Surrey hills slop with no problems at all – loads of grip and quite a bit more cush than a 2.4. I’d tried a Knard on a Crest before which was OK in the dry but lethal in the damp and I was always a bit nervous of pushing it hard due to the narrow rim.

Cheezpleez

Today I rode a purple and a blue Stooge back to back down the same notoriously slippery chalky, off-camber, rooty trail. I can confirm that purple Stooges are faster*.

* If fitted with a Chronicle.

CaptainCrash
    Free Member

Glad to hear it, still waiting for my Chronicle though 😥

singlecrack
    Free Member

Cheezpleez has it …..Purples are def faster …

mattjg
    Free Member

So Cheez and I went riding – his purple fat fronted, my blue regular (2.3 Purgatory on a Crest).

We rode the same trail back to back with a bike switch, I gotta say I’m pretty sold on the fat front. This is a greasy, rooty, off camber North Downs trail, if ever there was a test for grip this is it. (We wouldn’t usually go there this time of year). On the FF purple the rear was fish tailing all over the place, because I was riding it harder, but the front just keeps going so eventually the rear has no option but to follow.

No other significant difference in build, both SS, short stem wide bars, we’re about the same fit.

Fat front or not, this is a fun bike.

mattjg
    Free Member

Just for fun I put a 2.35 Hans Dampf up front on a Flow.

It’s like pushing a brick around – uphill and down – and there is little benefit from the rigid bike point of view. Don’t do it.

letmetalktomark

Just for fun I put a 2.35 Hans Dampf up front on a Flow.

It’s like pushing a brick around – uphill and down – and there is little benefit from the rigid bike point of view. Don’t do it.

Nooooooo

I’ve just bought two of these tyres to run on the fronts of two rigid 29ers ….. One on a Flow rim the other a Dually.

Sad face.

Paceman
    Free Member

I ran a 2.35 Hans Dampf Trailstar on the front of my Charge Cooker Rigid last winter and it was great, also on a Stan’s Flow rim set up tubeless at around 24psi. Perfect for the woodland singletrack round our way; rolled pretty well bad grips like a limpet.

I’d still be using it but I’ve sold the bike and moved onto 29+ now.

mattjg
    Free Member

They’re certainly quite grippy – getting the damn things moving from stationary is a substantial effort, they’re blooming’ stuck to the floor.

@LMTTM you’ll be good, I’m probably being soft.

Paceman
    Free Member

LOL …Mattjg 😆

That was coming from on On-One Chunky Monkey which was much draggier so it may just be all relative.

mattjg
    Free Member

For sure, I think they’re a bit lighter than a Monkey.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Got the 50mm carbon Nextie rim built up now. Lighter than the Flow Ex it replaced.

ska-49
    Free Member

Could you take a photo of the rear wheel clearance? What rear tyre are you running?

john_l
    Free Member

Those that have replaced CMs with Chronicles, how do they compare? Rolling, grip etc.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Ska, the 2nd rim was faulty so have to wait for a warranty replacement.

Clobber
    Free Member

are they the jungle fox rims?

guitarhero
    Free Member

are they the jungle fox rims?

Yes

Clobber
    Free Member

looks fab, I’m gonna have to get some!

How was the service from nextie?

How is the junglefox tubeless ability?

guitarhero
    Free Member

I’ll get back to you on the tubeless as there’s a tube in there just now but I’m going to set it up tubeless for a ride tomorrow. Brian at Nextie has been good to deal with, they’re making me a replacement to ship asap. Bit gutting though as I’d laced the wheel and was tensioning it when I noticed the fault and had to strip it and rebuild the front hub onto the other rim. These things happen though.

cokie

What was the fault that you found? I imagine that it’ll go up tubeless pretty easily. My rabbit hole & Chronicle went up without issue.

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.