Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • brant
    Free Member

Though at 475mm, it’s happily compatible with many fat forks out there.

jonestown
    Free Member

indeed Brant, and this was the main reason i didn’t feel the need, anything from Surly, salsa and On-One would do the job nicely, albeit in a different colour. I can’t help but feel the bike would lose some of its balance and directness with a balloon upfront, but what i really need to do is try it out and find out for myself. I didn’t set out to design a semi fat bike, what i wanted was a 29er that railed and took you over the edge

jonestown
    Free Member

Not a full 29+ bike then ?! not many of those around?

I’ve ridden a Krampus and thought it was sweet, but i guess its a BMX thing, the idea of short stays and a skinnier back tyre – spins up faster, feels lighter, a lot more direct. The Stooge is superlight at the front and this would disappear with the longer stays needed for 29+, and all that rotating weight. I did seriously consider it a year ago but decided not to go down that route.

650+ fits in the rear, i’m a lot more interested in that, looking forward to the tyres hitting these shores and having a play, maybe make a few tweeks for the next run of frames.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Paceman
    Free Member

spectabilis – Member

I’m currently running On-One OG’s

I like the look of those OG bars, very tempted to try some on my Krampus.

bonesetter
    Free Member

doof_doof – Member
    Bonesetter – out of interest, how does the Stooge compare to your By:Stickel?

The two bikes have a fair few similarities, despite the By:Stickle being designed around a 120mm suspension fork.

Both have short CS’s, both are steel, and both share a high front end, which makes for a more upright posture, ‘weight back’ attitude and therefore lightness up front. I’m 6’2″ and have a long body so a high front is what I need, but the whole thing can be taken further

I really wanted to do away with a suspension fork – for the riding I do – ‘woodsy’ let’s say, there really isn’t a need for ‘travel’. A light front with a big volume tyre is perfect

As soon as I saw the Stooge I knew that was the bike was for me. It’s a sort of cheap Jones bike in many ways

The ‘stickle hasn’t seen much action for a while and the frame is collecting dust. Maybe I should build it with the Niner RDO fork??

doof_doof
    Free Member

Thanks for the insight, the Stooge is obviously very capable if the Bystickel isn’t getting any love.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Or,what am I saying – a fat front

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I am going to try OO Marys for a while….Lots of other bars in the shed to try if these ain’t to my liking

Running a knard up front and yes they aint the best in mud and wet but pretty good overall….Did me fine round the Highland trail. I will put on a Magic Mary on the front for winter duties.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I can’t help but feel the bike would lose some of its balance and directness with a balloon upfront, but what i really need to do is try it out and find out for myself. I didn’t set out to design a semi fat bike, what i wanted was a 29er that railed and took you over the edge

Fair enough!

Just out of curiosity, I decided to weigh my fat front wheel(HuskerDu and 65mm carbon rim), it’s a whopping 60g heavier than the Knard/RabitHole 29+ wheel.

brant
    Free Member

I am going to try OO Marys for a while….Lots of other bars in the shed to try if these ain’t to my liking

Try them a bit more dropped down – pointed more at your back axle than your saddle.

takisawa2

I did what Brant just recomended to the Mary’s on my commuter a few weeks ago & it does indeed work. Feels a little weird at first but I like it. Almost akin to something like Woodcutters.

brant
    Free Member

I did what Brant just recomended to the Mary’s on my commuter a few weeks ago & it does indeed work. Feels a little weird at first but I like it. Almost akin to something like Woodcutters.

You sort of “sit into” them a bit more? I’d almost use “hunker down” but it’s probably wrong 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

FutonRC – do you use your knard in your jones much or generally find yourself going back to fat? I’m tempted to get a 29+ wheel built for my jones but struggling to think where I’d prefer it over the Bud given my experience with a knard on my swift.

Also still think these stooges would potentially benefit from a stiffer fork given the length and profile with the massive caveat that I haven’t ridden one. Swift vs jones and I can’t think of a single scenario where I prefer the flexier swift fork when generally dicking around and chasing mates on full sus bikes. Sure, the flex in the swift fork has its place but for me it doesn’t tie in with design ethos of the stooge which kind of matches the reason why I bought my jones; great fun to ride on any trail without the hassle of shock servicing etc. Even the guy at field bikes made a truss for his 29er. Downside is increased cost and whacky aesthetics I guess.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Gotama – fat every time!

I’ve just put the 29+ wheel back on, just to see how it compares to my new carbon setup, which is only 60g heavier. A quick spin around the garden shows that the 29+ wheel still has a slight advantage for acceleration – due to rolling resistance I guess (though the new grippyer 29+ tyres may not have this advantage). I’ve not had this wheel on for ages – a year maybe, I pretty much dropped it when conditions got wet, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

So yeah – I hardly ever use the 29+ and with my new 65mm carbon rim, I son’t see that changing!

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip Brant…..I will drop them tomorrow.

Took her on a maiden voyage tonight..15 miles of mixed singletrack and fire-road.

The bike just blew all expectations! Just instant love…felt like an old friend. Listening to Andrew(designer) I kept a good stack height under the stem. Front end just pops up on demand. The short stays make it feel really nimble on the ST.Felt very comfy and I cant wait to try it on some big miles and also some steeper terrain.

Anyhow…great job mt stooge!

Gotama
    Free Member

FRC – that’s interesting and kind of what I expected so I’ ill stick with tubeless bud given what I use the bike for. Thanks, you’ve just saved me the best part of 300 quid on a front wheel……..but then again the carbon rim sounds interesting 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Brant,

What are the differences between the O-One Mary and OG bars? I’m looking at the alloy ones as a possibility on my Krampus.

Cheers

Paceman

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Gotama – go carbon 😉 the HUDU/carbon wheel is 900g lighter than the Bud wheel it replaced. It really does just feel so much more lively, I won,t need the Bud until it gets really muddy. Still, it’s nice to have 3 different wheels to choose from. I’ve got a 35mm carbon rim in the back as well, so roughly 24lb with a fat front.

martinh
    Free Member

I seem to have acquired a SS Stooge which I’ll build up just as soon as I can get a headset and will once and for all answer the question 6′ 4″ yes or no.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Is the Stooge nationally recognised in the biking community now?

Everywhere the bike goes I get interest and comments.

It’s like bees round a honey pot

How do you find the big front tyre, it’s really comfortable isn’t it, I’m thinking of getting one, it’s not that expensive is it etc

Only yesterday I called on a mate for a ride and as we came out of his place a couple on cross bikes over the road called over How long you had you had your Stooge mate??

He ended up having a quick spin round on it and said he was going to buy one

Martinh – look forward to seeing your feedback – my mate is 6’4″ and is chomping on the bit for a Stooge

jonestown
    Free Member

MartinH, it was good to meet you yesterday (SSUK14), following our chat/ride it raised a smile when you won the frame. Be really interested to hear how you get on, especially as you already own a Jones. Comparisons would be really cool. cheers.

bonesetter
    Free Member

So, as Mr Stooge has started the Jones/Stooge discussion, let’s grasp the nettle 🙂

What are the differences, and as I understand things the Stooge is a progression forward over the Jones

I know Stooges CS’s are shorter and the front end is different, in what exact way I would like to find out

Clink

Great to meet jonestown @ SSUK – and 3 other Stooges! What is the collective noun?

NormalMan

Stoogi 😉

NormalMan

Oh and I must stop looking at this thread! I’ve only had my Cotic a couple of months!!

Paceman
    Free Member

What are the differences, and as I understand things the Stooge is a progression forward over the Jones.

The Stooge is a progressive design but not necessarily an improvement over the Jones in my opinion. The Stooge is a different and interesting take on rigid trail bike design, whilst both have their place in the current market (but neither in my shed unfortunately 🙁 )

martinh
    Free Member

Great to meet you Andy and I enjoyed our conversation and my mini test ride. I’d have probably remained Stooge curious without this amazing opportunity to build and play with one.

Somehow missed my chance to finally meet Clink, unless we chatted and I didn’t realise it was you.

Soon as I have the headset I’ll build it and borrow my Jones’s wheels – what better way to compare

takisawa2

Andy, thanks for the brief chat yesterday also, great to meet you.
    (Pre-ride, by your car, shifty looking chap on green Niner…
    Sorry I didn’t manage to get to try one of your Stooges out, had to head off early.
    Everything you said totally made sense & is what I’m looking for in a bike.
    The bikes looked lovely in the flesh. Angles wise they look spot on.

Now to work on the acquisitions committee… 😉

Clink

Somehow missed my chance to finally meet Clink, unless we chatted and I didn’t realise it was you.

😯 I saw you but didn’t realise who you were until I got home – shonky!

SSUK15?

I’ve now had a couple of rides on my Stooge – Dartmoor and SSUK. I prefer it over the Jones I had. In my mind is equally good going down but a better climber (ss).

igm

I swung my leg over a couple of those Stoogees (the plural has a double ee – it’s an irregular name / bike).

Liked it, particularly with the 29×3″ front end. It felt stable, vaguely unstoppable but still manoeuvrable.

Nice.

Sam’s Puffins seemed to be the other bike of interest over the weekend.

Also nice.

sadexpunk

forgive my ignorance, im not very good at understanding the intricacies of slightly differing geometry. ive got a singular gryphon with ragly luxy bars. can the stooge be built up using these bars or would that be silly and cancel out how its sposed to ride?
    what would be the difference between the two bikes (frames) if i bought a stooge frame and stuck all the gryphon kit onto it?

everyone
    Free Member

Definitely very Stooge-curious after spending a weekend sleeping near one! (Hi Clink, I was the one with the “normal” bike)

igm

Sorry, what’s “normal” at SSUK exactly?

everyone
    Free Member

Well I had an inbred with exotic carbon forks and 650b wheels squeezed in, but the guys I came with had a handmade carbon full suss and a canti-braked sharpied karate monkey!

igm

inbred with exotic carbon forks and 650b wheels squeezed in

Deviant. You’ll be riding gears next.

everyone
    Free Member

Shhh, I might get…

Booed

jonestown
    Free Member

Sadexpunk, i’ve built a stooge with woodchipper bars, because i could, i guess, and i use it as my down the shops and round the block hack, it rides well but doesn’t even come close to how my main bike rides off-road. Because the Gryphon is designed for drops it will probably have a shorter top tube to take the forward reach of the drops into account. If you’re a tall gent then the Stooge would probably feel very similar, if you’re shorter then you’d have to run a short stem to take the above into account. Anything goes, i say.

How tall are you, and what size Gryphon do you ride?

rOcKeTdOg

Stooges were a bit common at SSUK14, they were even giving them away 😉

Nice looking frame, awful blue colour

Clink

Nice looking frame, awful blue colour

Nicer colour than your swift 😉

sadexpunk

Sadexpunk, i’ve built a stooge with woodchipper bars, because i could, i guess, and i use it as my down the shops and round the block hack, it rides well but doesn’t even come close to how my main bike rides off-road. Because the Gryphon is designed for drops it will probably have a shorter top tube to take the forward reach of the drops into account. If you’re a tall gent then the Stooge would probably feel very similar, if you’re shorter then you’d have to run a short stem to take the above into account. Anything goes, i say.

How tall are you, and what size Gryphon do you ride?
    im 5’10 and a medium gryphon. i like the luxy bars and just wondered whether id feel more ‘upright’ on a stooge than a gryphon, or whether id need normal risers to go with it.
    also, how do they compare weight-wise? the stooge seems to be considered as quite heavy, but everybody loves riding it, so im interested in whether thats the same for the gryphon.

thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.