Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Stood on sea urchin.
  • brodie
    Free Member

Well, accidentally kicked it with the top of my foot.

I wouldn’t recommend it. Not at all.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I stood on one full whack once, hurts like a mofo doesn’t it. Ruined the first week of my holiday.

thepurist

Nasty beasts for infecting wounds too…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It could’ve been worse. At least it ewasn’t a weaver fish or stingrasy.

Drac

And now it’s your anemone.

brodie
    Free Member

Feels like nasty nettle rash and occasionally my foot just explodes in pain for a few seconds, got loads of spines stuck under the skin too.

I’ve read there’s not much I can do about it, just got to ride it out.

Drac

You need to get the spiny bits out or you’ll get an infection.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shouldn’t someone wee in on your shoes feet?

bruneep

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qenzQaXM6Pw[/video]

Could’ve been worse, Stonefish or Worst Pain Known to Man.

NSFW sweary words

brodie
    Free Member

I’ve wee’d on my foot, didn’t do much.

I’ve got out all the spines I could with tweezers, some are right under the skin and I dont want to cause an infection by going digging.

chewkw
    Free Member

If you are stung by the fin spikes of this fish you will either get the shock of your life or you may even die if you have very weak heart, but this fish taste gooooodddd …

I got stung many times but on one occasion it was so painful that I thought someone put a blow torch (full blast) to my palm (was holding it when I got stung) or being electrocuted …

🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Stood on a stonefish once, thankfully there was a friendly Italian doctor armed with a serrated bread knife on the beach, as well as three people to sit on me….

Drac

ome are right under the skin and I dont want to cause an infection by going digging.

Leaving them in will cause an infection.

brodie
    Free Member

Ive read that leaving them in is better? Besides I’m a long way from the backup of the NHS to be attempting any self surgery!

johnhe

I did this on holiday a year ago – it took ages for the pain to go away. I wish I’d gone to the chemist sooner. Bathing the foot in a solution I got from the chemist made a fantastic difference, although apparently putting vinegar into water does the same thing.

kayak23

Brodie you’re dangerous…

jamj1974

One of my guilty pleasures – Point Break!

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Remember standing on a weever fish in the shallows on holiday whilst as a kid, recall it hurt like a b***h

brodie
    Free Member

There was no glamour or adventure in it I’m afraid, thought I’d kicked a rock at first. It bled quite a bit.

I think vinegar dissolves the spines, I’ll try it later.

crazybaboon

Get medical attention as soon as possible,
    Mate’s girlfriend stood on one, ended up with below the knee amputation

eskay

crazybaboon – Member

Blimey! I bet he didn’t want to hear that!!

brodie
    Free Member

I don’t think it will come to that! Bit swollen this morning and difficult to walk on. I’m home tomorrow, I’ll get it looked at then.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Good look with the septicaemia then. You need to have those spines taken out and the wound cleaned.

njee20
    Free Member

😯

Bloody hell.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Although if the spines are deep don’t go digging, like you said it’s not a good idea unless you know what your doing and have some sterile equipment :p I’ve read that vinegar dissolves the spines, whether it dissolves deep seated spines is another matter.

Drac

Just get yourself to a minor injuries unit or A&E get them taken out before they get infected.

brodie
    Free Member

Thanks for the concern guys, I’m feeling the STW love.

I’m back in blighty tomorrow, I’ll go to the walk in centre then.

kayak23

ended up with below the knee amputation

I’ll go to the walk in centre then.

spawnofyorkshire

i knelt on one as a ten year old… hurt like a motherbotherer
    had to have the spines dug out with a sterilised needle and it still got a bit infected. Get it dealt with

zippykona

I always wear dive boots in the sea , will an urchin go through them
    or should I wear my steels?

Markie
    Free Member

I always wear dive boots in the sea , will an urchin go through them
    or should I wear my steels?

Steels.

njee20
    Free Member

Foot fallen off yet?

CountZero

While on holiday on Thasos a girl who my g/f and I had got friendly with slipped and put her hand on one of those black spiny urchins. Fortunately I had some very fine-tipped tweezers with me, just in case, and managed to get them out.
    Took about an hour, and there were a few tears, mind. Bloody things are fragile as glass, and really difficult to extract without them breaking up.

yourmywifenow
    Free Member

Kicked one once getting out of the sea in Madeira, loads of spines in my toes, local nurse dug them out with a needle but they were still coming out days later. They are very brittle and don’t come out in one go.

rureadyboots
    Free Member

During my uncles insurgency in Malaya he used urchin spines ground into a paste in a Suribachi to poison his guards and make his escape.

chewkw
    Free Member

rureadyboots – Member

During my uncles insurgency in Malaya he used urchin spines ground into a paste in a Suribachi to poison his guards and make his escape.

Ahhh … good info that. 😆

zippykona

rureadyboots – Member

Bloody hell, maybe he should have made sure they were cooked all the way through.
    I’d be mortified if any of my guests became ill.
    Perhaps he should have stuck to a fragranced saffron rice and sauteed vegetables.

njee20
    Free Member

Do we have a new troll in our midst?!

bearnecessities

Nonsense; have you see his/her 3 posts? Completely normal!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Years ago I stood on them in the red sea,I couldn’t put any weight on my feet for a couple of days.Got back to the kibbutz a week later,by then I was only limping a bit & was told that my body would reject them a few weeks later.Sure enough a few weeks later my feet started hurting again as the spikes were pushed to the surface of the soles of my feet.I suppose it’s the same process as when your body rejects a splinter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Stood on sea urchin.’ is closed to new replies.