Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Stones at Glastonbury
  • somafunk

Yeah?…….It really sounds like the Glasto audience had a shit time as well if the encores were anything to go by, enjoy it for what it is fer **** sake ya bunch of pretentious cretins, one of the most iconic supergroups ever, playing one of the most iconic festivals ever 🙄

kimbers

one of the most iconic supergroups ever,

have the spice girls reformed?

binners

Chase and Status on the other stage looked like infinitely more fun than watching than a bunch of pensioners who haven’t recorded anything worth listening to since the early 70”s

athgray
    Free Member

Somafunk. If you really want to see the audience have a good time, Prodigy or Orbital sets from previous years fit the bill.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It really sounds like the Glasto audience had a shit time as well if the encores were anything to go by, enjoy it for what it is fer **** sake ya bunch of pretentious cretins

Well if you’re not actually there soaking up the atmosphere and feeling the euphoria, and are instead at home watching it, it does give you the opportunity to focus on Jagger’s singing, which was, quite frankly, shite.

brack
    Free Member

At the gig… Just back to wall whilst the masses leave.

Haven’t heard a bad comment so far!

My opinion

70 year olds owning a crowd like they did!!!… Very few bands in the 15 years that I’ve been coming to glastonbury have achieved that.

Tonight the stones rocked !! Seriously

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Thought they (Stones) were OK, TBH. Chase and Status, on the other hand, were/are awesome.
    Primal Scream, by any measure, are utter shite.

RustySpanner

Primal Scream, by any measure, are utter shite.

Normally love Primal Scream, but that set earlier was a mess.

Bobby G looked & sounded worse than I’ve seen him for ages – couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket tonight.

brack
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more

Chase and status won me over a few years ago at the iow festival

Haven’t seen then since but would love to.

The crowd just goes mental

organic355
    Free Member

Well at least we know where all the wrinkled skin from the 10 stone testicle went….main stage headline glastonbury.

athgray
    Free Member

I thought Primal Scream were pretty good apart from Bobby Gillespie. Seemed weak vocally. As for The Stones, I don’t care how good or bad they may have been, they should NOT be headlining Glastonbury in 2013. The fact they were is a sad indictment on the music scene.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I caught a few songs from the Rudimental set earlier. Now that I would love to have been there for. Crowd looked like they were loving it.

RustySpanner

Seemed weak vocally.

Really?

Looked stoned out of his mind to me.
    Cheeky bastard, people had paid good money to see that.

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve been to loads of old raves and festivals and up until a few years back always had Glastonbury on my bucket list. Seriously though the whole festival scene seems absolute shite to a 42 year old , When bands like Mumford and sons headline the worlds biggest festival you know music has gone bland.

My 17 year old daughter has been to TITP for the last 2 years and chose Calvin Harris over the Stone Roses 😥
    When cretins like Example can have 30,000 watching them you know live music is finished.

Still Chase & Status looked like a post rave Prodigy.

RustySpanner

Deleted.

I’m trying to be nice tonight. 😀

athgray
    Free Member

You are right rusty, however why should that be the case with Glastonbury? I would like to see the organizers stick two fingers up to the money men to attract a more edgy crowd, however that does not put pounds in financiers pockets. I would feel a bit depressed if my kids went to a festival in 20 years time to see a 90 year old Stones strut their stuff. The digital age has allowed some great (little heard of) music to become available to the masses, but the Glastonbury behemoth is blinding people to it.

somafunk

You do realise there’s more to Glastonbury than the main stage?, it’s quite possibly one of the most eclectic musical festivals as there are hundreds of obscure acts on in 30+ stages in obscure areas over the 900 acre site and as for sticking two fingers up the money men? – it has to draw a crowd to pay for the approximately 500 acts booked, and to pay for the tens of thousands of workers onsite.

And yeah, prodigy were good, one of my fav sets was darren emmerson/james lavelle but the chem bros was something special indeed.

I’ve trudged/crawled/been dragged/left for dead about the site quite a few times over the past 20yrs 😉

RustySpanner

Other festivals are available 🙂
    There are loads more festivals than there used to be, from small scale niche stuff to the corporate wankfests that the bigger names have become.
    You can choose whichever suits your taste in music and political ideology.

I’m a regular at Evilstock myself, along with about 250 other people. 😀
    It’s free and it hasn’t got enough toilets, both essentials for a decent weekend.

I would feel a bit depressed if my kids went to a festival in 20 years time to see a 90 year old Stones strut their stuff. The digital age has allowed some great (little heard of) music to become available to the masses, but the Glastonbury behemoth is blinding people to it.

Hmmmmm, I’m not sure you know.

I reckon the digital age has allowed many more bands to be heard and to establish a decent, loyal core following.
    It’s democratised music to a great extent – if you have an audience out there, you can find them.

CountZero

Who the **** are Chase and Status? Have they actually done anything meaningful? I wouldn’t recognise a single ‘tune’ of theirs, and I certainly wouldn’t recognise them if they walked on stage.
    But then, I’m not ‘street’, or ‘Urban’, or from London, so that makes me irrelevant, I s’pose. 🙄
    And Primal Scream? Third-rate Stones impersonators, and always have been.

I would feel a bit depressed if my kids went to a festival in 20 years time to see a 90 year old Stones strut their stuff. The digital age has allowed some great (little heard of) music to become available to the masses, but the Glastonbury behemoth is blinding people to it.

Bollocks. There are 2000 acts playing Glastonbury, and a pretty large chunk have got there precisely because of the democratisation of music via the Internet, and the likes of 6Music, but all a bunch of Internet warriors can do is snivel about one headline act.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Well, the stones sounded pretty good where I was standing.
    But i’m sure watching it on tv gives you a more valid opinion.

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

Never mind the stones two bands that have stood out over everyone so far, four 15 year old irish lads called the Strypes and best of all Alabama shakes what a voice she has.

organic355
    Free Member

Who the **** are Chase and Status?

My wife last night while watching them….. “I didn’t know Jason Statham was black??” 😆

kjcc25
    Free Member

I think some of you need to get a new television if you thought that was bad. Brilliant set and sound quality, excellent on my TV!

headfirst
    Free Member

Hmm, it sounds like us at home are the victims of the BBC’s poor editing. This morning’s paper says they kicked off with Jumping Jack Flash and It’s only rock n roll which makes more sense than how it started on the beeb.

kjcc25
    Free Member

BBC were only allowed to broadcast from a certain point in the gig.

jodafett

The Rolling Stones would only let the BBC show 1hr of their set so it looks like the Beeb chose to miss the start. Which made it feel like a bit of a damp squibe in my opinion.

Edit -beaten by 4 whole minutes. Wow I’m a fast typer!

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

heard Jo Whiley talking for 3.7 seconds so turned off before I smashed my own face in. Bizarrely there was a PE cover band on BBC 4 that were mildly entertaining. The Beeb must be embarrassed having to try and tun this years ‘thin’ line up into the usual BBC ‘over hyped to death’ spectacle.

However, features about hula hoop therapists and different types of tents kept me glued to the TV. zzzzzzzzzzz

Cougar

Well, hello from a field at Glastonbury. (-:

Caught the start of the Stones set last night; we were behind approximately 200,000 other people and it’s hard to comment as they might as well have been playing on an iPhone for what we could see and hear. Can tick the “I was there” box at least.

Stuck it out for three songs and then sloped off to Chase & Status (via Strumpets with Crumpets). Not my paper cup of tea but credit where it’s due, they tore the roof off.

jodafett

Chase & Status……..they tore the roof off.

In a field….WOW.

Coyote
    Free Member

Just watched it on iplayer.

Pretty bloody awesome actually. Damn fine amount of energy and a brilliant catalogue. Enjoyed it.

ianv
    Free Member

Watched it on iplayer this morning and cannot understand the negativity. They rocked, pretty good for any band but when you consider their ages they were awesome.

BoardinBob

cannot understand the negativity

Theyre nowhere near niche enough for the scenesters on here

ohnohesback
    Free Member

As I was doing my annual replacement of my chainring, chain and sprocket this morning, my neighbour was playing it loudly. Oh dear oh dear…

Someone should’ve taken the stones aside back in 1980 and said enough is enough.

Wimbledon or Glasto? Given this limp performance I’d say that Glasto wins the cringe stakes.

neilthewheel

Well, I watched them on the ipad this morning, with the sound plugged through the HiFi and I thought they were great. Tight as a nat’s chuff. They should be good with 50 years’ rehearsal behind them. Good to see Mick Taylor join them too.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I enjoyed watching The Orb and some tribal drumming, followed by Dizzee Rascal, then Alt-J and Foals. What else shall I watch? Not interested in the Stones.

CountZero

I enjoyed watching The Orb and some tribal drumming, followed by Dizzee Rascal, then Alt-J and Foals. What else shall I watch? Not interested in the Stones.

PIL.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Why?

mikey74
    Free Member

FWiW A friend of mine is there at the moment and he said they absolutely bombed. I watched a bit on iPlayer and none of the band looked interested.

TBH I’ve never been a fan. Apart from a couple of decent tracks, their material ranges from the bland to the rubbish IMO. Live, they don’t appear to be much better, and watching Jagger do his little dance moves on stage these days is just embarrassing.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

They play music, its what they do. I ride my bike and hope I’m still doing it when I’m their age. The people on the news this morning seemed to have enjoyed and that’s all that matters. Muse? Come on that song they did for the Olympics was so bad nobody wanted to play it.

loum
    Free Member

The big problem with Glastonbury this year is that the red button options have replaced the guess the price play-a-long game on Antiques Roadshow. The wife is not happy.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Stones at Glastonbury’ is closed to new replies.