Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Stonehenge
  • nickc

Hmmm, Galileo didn’t exactly help himself either. Urban 8th was a mild supporter of Heliocentricity, but warned Galileo that if was to write a book he shouldn’t advocate either way, and that Urban’s thoughts should be included in the book. Galileo only did the latter.

By advocating it, Galileo essentially put those words into the mouth of the Pope, lost his most powerful ally, and gave the Pope no real options about Galileo’s future.

Whether Galileo did this through malice or just didn’t care, or didn’t understand the politics is still being debated.

maccruiskeen

I hope the OP is happy with himself. Three pages of arguing. Its almost like we’re all stuck in the car with him.

Are we there yet?

Need the toilet!

Woppits bored

CZ is kicking the back of Edukator’s seat.

I feel sick.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

To me, it feels good and makes me happy. Why not use it as an excuse for a pissup?

That’s not the point. It was suggested that the sun was being worshipped and the “longest day” was somehow “spiritually” significant.

Of course the original Pagans were doing exactly what you describe. The same for Wassail at the other end of the seasonal cycle.

The hippies and the like at Stonehenge on June 21st are just displacing church attendance because they think that it’s better to worship something evidential.

The event itself has no inherent significance other than, as you say, marking it with a party.

Worship itself being simply an act triggered by a psychological mind set of poor internal self-imaging being acted out, makes it doubly, as I said before, risible.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

It was suggested that the sun was being worshipped and the “longest day” was somehow “spiritually” significant.

Define ‘spiritual’?

Who made you the mind police, by the way? They get off on their bullshit, you get off on yours. Peace, dude 🙂

Also lol@maccruisekeen

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yaaaawwnnnnnnnnn….. are we there yet?

Northwind

nickc – Member

Whether Galileo did this through malice or just didn’t care, or didn’t understand the politics is still being debated.

I like that the main reason for the debate is that there’s so much evidence for Galileo being an utter bellend, that it’s possible to argue strongly for “didn’t give a shit about anyone else”, “thought it was funny to shit on other people”, “assumed everyone else was stupid and would be dazzled by his genius” and “didn’t understand the politics (but assumed he did, because he was a genius and everyone else was stupid)”

nickc

yes, there’s lots of evidence to suggest that he was indeed “a bit up himself” 😆

Also the character that was used by Galileo in his book was called “Simplicio” to advocate for the old system of Earth at the centre of the universe and was made specifically to sound like the Italian for simpleton, and was (because of the letter inserted into the book by Urban) seen by many to be the voice of the church and Urban himself.

Open mouth, put foot right in…Urban read the book, and thought “oh great this makes me look a fan of heliocentricity” Everyone else read it, and thought “Oh look Galileo thinks Urban is an idiot”

Couldn’t win really

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Can we stop at the sweet shop? I want an ice cream.

nickc

no, it makes you sick, try to be quiet, it won’t be long before we’re there.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That’s not fair. You let maccruiskeen have one. I hate you.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

(Joins in with CZ kicking the back of Edukraters seat).

maccruiskeen

You let maccruiskeen have one

Thats because I could get out of the car – its not my fault your legs are stuck to the vinyl seats.

Edukator
    Free Member

Would this be a good time to start quoting Von Däniken?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

So the quarry is a red herring.

The Scourse paper fairly demolishes glacial transport over land. That leaves the postulated moraine deposit, of bluestones mixed with much else, somewhere near the Bristol Channel. It’s possibly undersea, or buried by peat which is why we don’t see it. Someone had to sort through an awful lot of boring rocks to find the Bluestones.

I’m going to sit in the back and demand ice cream or scream until I’m sick.

For Molgrips – about the proto-Thames, I can only find journal references and this…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames#Geological_and_topographic_history

You could look for info on the Bytham River, its neighbour to the North. As to glacial features, the best ones I’ve seen are in Scotland.

nickc

It’s always the right time for Von Daniken 😆

acsevens

My advice to the OP is don’t mistake Avebury with Amesbury, as I did. I spent half an hour wandering round a shit small town and left bitterly disappointed…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

don’t mistake Avebury with Amesbury, as I did. I spent half an hour wandering round a shit small town and left bitterly disappointed…

😀

maccruiskeen

I’ll give it a go

“Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs. You know it’s wrong but you can’t keep away from her.”

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Stonehenge’ is closed to new replies.