Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stone kitchen worktop – problems
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Evening all.

After weeks of work we’ve finally had our kitchen installed and on the whole we’re really pleased with it. A few issues caused by the kitchen company’s lack of ability to deliver when they said they would but otherwise it went reasonably well and loving the change.

However we’ve had the worktop in for 2 weeks and are noticing it has rings from where we have left cups on the counter before putting them in the dishwasher and a big ring where we left a casserole dish to dry after washing it up – we’ve tried everything to remove the rings but can’t get rid of them.

Firstly – anyone got any suggestions to clean them – we’ve tried CIF cream which was suggested but no joy?

Secondly – we want this kitchen to last at least 10 years and if after 2 weeks it is already starting to mark – do we have cause to complain or is this just the nature of the material? If the latter then I’m not impressed as I’d rather have a Formica worktop as it is a lot easier to look after.

Surely we shouldn’t be having to scrub the worktop nearly every day to keep it clean.

In case you are wondering it’s a white Unistone (we were going to go for Silestone)

Unistone webpage

sharkbait
    Free Member

Black Diamond stone/granite cleaner is good.

Some stone colours are buggers for cup/glass rings. Friends have nice black granite and they’re always having to clean the marks off it.

is this just the nature of the material?

Form over function – a bit like white cars.

Edit: Cif cleaner sounds horrendously harse. BD ^ is just a watery spray.

chickenman

You should have been advised on the stone type. Granite is inert and non porous; Marble hates acid (wine, vinegar, fruit juice etc). Is your composite stuff supposed to be resistant to stains?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bushwacked
    Free Member

Not sure if it is supposed to be stain proof but id like to think it would be stain resistant to a degree

globalti
    Free Member

Why don’t you go and ask on DIYnot.com?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Not sure about that particular product as we tend to use Silestone but Bar Keepers Friend is a product recommended by the solid surface fitters.

taffy
    Free Member

If its a composite it could be tricky sounds like the material is porus (granite is i fits abased on it) so liely anything not cleaned up within a few minutes will stain and you will need to clean it out/off.

I know as the OH researched endlessly before we went for some bloody expensive Quartz worktops which are not porus and tough – but on the flipside hardwork to keep looking smart as they dull up and look streaky ><

Check wiht the supplier about care and that. If you were told it was impervious and not porus you may have a cause for complaint

pyekid
    Free Member

Try and get hold of a product called astonish cream cleaner(without bleach) it will remove any stubborn marks from engineered stone. If your anywhere near Cheltenham I can supply you a bottle.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Pyekid – happen to live in chelt. Does it do any damage to engineered stone?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Pretty much all stone is porous, a lot can depend on what the stone is sealed with. The obvious the sealer, like a clear “glass like” finish usually the more protective, but it does have that more artificial or plastically look.

pyekid
    Free Member

No damage at all. I run a granite place in Andoversford if you need any help.

busydog
    Free Member

Pyekid
    Not a hijack, but since you are in the granite business, is there such a thing as a permanent sealer for granite tops vs having to reseal them periodically. we are looking at granite tops and one installer mentioned it.

pyekid
    Free Member

There is a product called dry treat which they warranty for 15 years, firstly I have never used it. But if you read their T&C ‘s to me it seems they can wriggle out of most claims. I’ve used lithothin for 15+ years on thousands of tops and have never had a problem with it, but would recommend reapplying every 6-12 months depending on stone.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Pyekid – so after cleaning the marks off mine should I seal/protect it?

pyekid
    Free Member

No you shouldn’t seal engineered stone. I can’t see how water marks won’t just wipe off ?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Same here, slightly annoyed about it.

busydog
    Free Member

Thanks pyekid, I will some research on the product, but would probably do what you recommend with a sealer that is applied every year or so.

pyekid
    Free Member

I can take a look in a unofficial capacity if you like. Email in profile.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thanks for the input – was in town and picked up some Bar Keepers friend from Lakeland – has done the trick. Wife is very happy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stone kitchen worktop – problems’ is closed to new replies.