Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stone caught between stantion and fork crown
  • ivantate
    Free Member

Muddy ride and only saw the damage when washing the bike.

Plenty of scuffs on the stantion and some good marks on the crown.

Unlucky or does this happen often? Not a brand new set of forks but liked them being nice shiny, definately undermined my servicing eforts.

ivantate
    Free Member

Efforts

LoCo
    Free Member

Unlucky, have seen one or two forks with this problem in the last 10 years, one of the Team chaps had this happen first ride out after I’d done a full service and tune on the forks, effectivly wrting them off as the score was so deep 👿

scaredypants

sorry, can’t picture this
    (have never had it happen though)

legend
    Free Member

sorry, can’t picture this

I’m guessing he means between the stanchion and the brace. Never had it happen, but it can’t be pretty!

scaredypants

stanchion and the brace

(nods, sucks teeth) – “nasty”

ivantate
    Free Member

Definately the brace, thought it was wrong when I typed it but couldnt work it out.

About to gp to work so hoping the brain is working today.

I_Ache
    Free Member

About to gp to work so hoping the brain is working today.

Apparently not.

Keva
    Free Member

it happened to me once on a set of Marzocchis. Deep scorring on the stanchion, knackered beyond repair.

bigyinn
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

stanchion and the brace

(nods, sucks teeth) – “nasty”
    “Its gonna cost you” 😥

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont worry about it. A scratch may be deep enough to allow some tiny amount of oil to pass through the seal, so it may weep a bit.

If the oil dosent pour out your fine.

Just ensure the forks are serviced and dont let them run out of oil.

Check the oil level now, ride it for a month and check again. Think about how the seal works and what it does you will realise a small scratch wont bugger up your forks. Just means you need to keep an eye on it and top it up more frequently.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Can’t you just keep riding them?

flyingmonkeycorps

Too deep for the nail varnish trick?

Nick

I had this happen to me after riding across a particularly claggy field. I now have one of those mucky nuts fenders fitted which pretty much prevents this happening again.

My forks were tired anyway and the damage was pretty light.

Main issue with a deep score would be wear to the seals and the possiblility of dirt being carried passed them and causing the lower part of the stantion and the bushings to wear.

Trimix
    Free Member

Personally Id keep riding / checking the oil level till they die.

No need to spend money till you really need to spend money.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, I had this a few years ago on a set of Boxxers. Thankfully I caught it before it made too much of a mess (could feel it).

It didn’t ruin the stanchion, but it wasn’t ideal!

munrobiker
    Free Member

This happened to my lyriks 2.5 years ago and they have only just died now after a few thousand miles. Put some epoxy in the gouge then sand very gently until smooth and you will get some more life out of them.

Stranga
    Free Member

Had the same happen to me……just a freak incident but now have one of these fitted just to lessen the odds even more of it ever happening again!

MuckyNutz

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Same happened to me, gutted when i found the damage. But i’ve used nail varnish, smoothed it off and they’ve not died yet.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stone caught between stantion and fork crown’ is closed to new replies.