Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • Stomach Churning turn of phrase..
  • soobalias
    Free Member

having recently seen a poster roundly slated for using the phrase “cockpit system”
    it has become apparent that several other phrases which i believe started life a a joke, taking the michael out of the journos and marketeers, have taken root in the forum.
    i honestly hope people dont say this stuff out loud.

Whats the worst? Where did it come from? Why is it tolerated?

swavis

Making the trails come alive? 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it not acceptable* to say cockpit system then 😉

*A popular thread title when you disagree with something ….. usually resulting in a response along the lines of stop being so up yer self.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I hate “can I get?” when they mean “could I have?” – it’s stupid and babyish.

whitestone
    Free Member

My response to that (“Can I get?”) would be: “I don’t know, can you?” Totally confuses them 😆

scaredypants

have taken root in the forum

I’m not sure there are really any that are used without fairly heavy irony

(…actually, except perhaps “oh, the ironing”)

perchypanther
    Free Member

having recently seen a poster roundly slated for using the phrase “cockpit system”

Have you read Fresh Goods Friday today? 😉

onandon
    Free Member

Lead from the front. Where the frig else can you lead from – gimps

bruneep

Mum,dad can I have a chat?

Cold sweat everytime

soobalias
    Free Member

ok, i cant wait patiently for you to guess what is boiling my pi$$

gnarpoon

even saying it in my head makes me a total cockwomble
    i tried to read some of the “how much does a HT weigh” thread and had to give up.

soobalias
    Free Member

^^^ no perch, i havent yet.
    should i?
    or should i get back to work?

ajantom

Child in one of my classes – is that, like, a saw sir?
    Me – no it actually is a saw.
    Child – uhh?
    Me – metaphorically slaps forehead and realises humour is lost on youth.

amedias
    Free Member

gnarpoon

pretty sure that’s still being used as a joke/tongue in cheek?

isn’t it? (please dear god let it be so…)

‘Swap out’

What’s wrong with simply ‘swap’, or ‘change’?

stumpy01

on and on – Member

Lead from the front. Where the frig else can you lead from

Not the front….?

E.g. You lads, climb out of that trench & face certain death shooting at those Germans, while I sit in my tent drinking a nice port, 15 miles behind enemy lines…..

perchypanther
    Free Member

Not the front….?

E.g. You lads, climb out of that trench & face certain death shooting at those Germans, while I sit in my tent drinking a nice port, 15 miles behind enemy lines…..

The Germans seem to treating the POW’s better than I remember these days.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

On point

Bell-end vocabulary.

philjunior
    Free Member

I use gnarpoon a lot. But only in what I hope is a humorous/ironic way. My secondary hope is that anyone who thinks I am using it in a very serious manner finds it unbelievably irritating.

Northwind

Apparently gnarpoon is my fault (I tried to blame ojom but supposedly it was me, I think he was using gnarwhal?) And yes it’s tongue in cheek. If you use it seriously I’ll charge you commission.

“Different tact” drives me up the wall, it’s a killer combination of just wrong, and also totally nonsensical. It makes me want to slash people with a stanley knife.

Mister-P
    Free Member

“Please may I have?”

ransos
    Free Member

“Different tact” drives me up the wall, it’s a killer combination of just wrong, and also totally nonsensical. It makes me want to slash people with a stanley knife.

See also: “pacifically”.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Different tact

That person has clearly misheard “different tack”

There is an epic youtube somewhere of Asian people singing the wrong words to karaoke/ktv

faustus

Not really stomach churning or forum-rooted, but I can’t abide lazy tautologies:

pre-warn = warn. You can’t warn somebody before you’ve warned them the first time.
    I personally = I or personally.

I always cringe and never read forum posts titled “warning xxxx content”. Vom.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

My brother started using, ‘proper mint’, when describing something good. I had to restrain myself from slapping him in the face every time he said it.

spawnofyorkshire

Or it may just be the common vernacular of the region the person is from and you’re just being a pedant.

Twodogs

Sessioning a section
    Slamming the stem
    But worst of all…ghetto tubeless….there’s nothing ghetto about it…middle-class suburban tubeless would be more accurate

jekkyl

language is fluid.

soobalias
    Free Member

philjunior – let you off then
    the other two early uses in that thread will be punished

ransos
    Free Member

“language is fluid”.

khani
    Free Member

Colorway,
    Edit, or sick edit..
    😈

Northwind

Twodogs – Member

But worst of all…ghetto tubeless….there’s nothing ghetto about it…middle-class suburban tubeless would be more accurate

There’s an amazing video of Gee Atherton at a race, complaining that the uplift is ghetto, the pits are ghetto… In Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.

fathomer

I was watching some old Redbull Rampage on the Bike channel last night and when the commentator says, ‘coming out of British Columbia’ rather than ‘from British Columbia’ when telling us where the riders from. I guess it’s an american thing?

Oh, and ‘sick’ for describing something good, hate it!

whitestone
    Free Member

Quite a few of the American way of phrasing things grate with me: “Monday through Friday” rather than “Monday to Friday” for example. But I do use other such phrases: “go figure” and probably many others. Logical? Not really.

mogrim

“Discuss”

As in: here’s a vaguely controversial subject, I’m not going to offer any opinion on it, I’m just going to order you all to discuss it.

fathomer

Another Americanism that really annoys me is on the cinema adverts, coming May 21, not it’s **** 21st!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I about to pull the trigger on swapping out my colorway.

khani
    Free Member

eth3er
    Free Member

Surely it’s Monday while Friday 🙂

rusty90
    Free Member

The whole ‘CX’ thing gets me annoyed*, as in “I want a CX bike for commuting”. If you’re going to be running round a muddy field for an hour with a bike on your shoulder you want a cross bike. For everything else you want what used to be known as “a bicycle”.

*I’ve got one, it’s got cantis and knobbly tyres and ‘Cross’ written on the top tube 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Another Americanism that really annoys me is on the cinema adverts, coming May 21, not it’s **** 21st!!

Americans can’t cope with ordinal numbers (4th, 5th, 21st, etc) besides it’s 21st May* 😆

We’ll have none of that ruddy Yorkshire “X while Y” rubbish here!

*We should really use the ISO format, it makes much more sense: YYYY MM DD (and hh:mm:ss if you want)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Stomach Churning turn of phrase..’ is closed to new replies.