Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • stomach bug – what do i do? :(
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

ok, this may sound a really silly question, but…

i got a stomach bug – was up all night emptying my stomach from both ends. still got a really sore stomach, but i don’t think there’s anything left to come out.

other than drinking a lot of water, is there anything else i can do?! its well uncomfortable 🙁

rarely ill, and this is the 1st stomach bug i’ve had since i left home 5 years ago, so i’ve no idea what to do!

donsimon
    Free Member

Coca Cola at room temperature and flat.
    Take it easy and get well soon.
    😉

martinhutch

Just try to keep hydrated, that’s the main thing.

Dodgy turkey?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

*pours glass of coke*

seems to be a bug going around – had chrimbo dinner with friends last night and they’re both ok. hadn’t planned on seeing the xmas roast again!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My Xmas has been written off by my first stomach bug in well over a decade.

Drink coke, be sick, repeat for 24 hrs. Pass on to your nearest and dearest.

Still feel ropey almost 3 days after.

Enjoy x

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

😯

get better soon TSY!

donsimon
    Free Member

Healing vibes to TSY, get well soon fella.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Only one thing for it. Kill it with alcohol.

Klunk
    Free Member
    Taff
    Free Member

Grate some ginger into a cup and add boiling water. Leave it stand then knock it back. My old man made me drink it when I was a nipper, did the trick for me. Apparently Crabbies isn’t the same…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

seems to have died down a bit now – just feeling pretty whacked after no sleep…

went out for dinner on xmas eve, and 2 others have the same thing, so i reckon there may be a link there!

just waiting to get my appetite back!

emsz
    Free Member

*sends healing vibes*

flat coke cures everything, FACT

MrOvershoot

emsz – Member

*sends healing vibes*

flat coke cures everything, FACT

Except toothache 😉

MrSparkle

I’ve had it too. I put it down to norovirus which is doing the rounds. Ruined my Christmas. I drank water, took paracetemol, went to bed when I could and put up with it. It passes pretty quickly. I couldn’t move far away from a toilet 2 days ago, did a fell race this morning (albeit slowly…).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Do not eat for 24 hours to clear out whatever it is that is in your stomach, then start on simple stuff, dried bread or crackers or rice soup. Be careful you don’t fill it with rich food when you start eating again and ensure you are hydrated with either coke, or some electrolyte replacement packets. Get well soon it really is very unpleasant. If it carries on for more than 3 days, go to Dr or pharmacy as you will need something to help you (only as long as you cleared your stomach out with not eating).

Spin
    Free Member

Look on the bright side, you’ll lose weight.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

not had a ‘movement’ for about 5 hours now, so i think i got lucky!
    ate 2 slices of toast a couple of hours ago, and won’t do that again for a little bit! still feeling queesy!

thanks for the advice everyone!

MountainKing
    Free Member

Thoughts are with you, I visited my elderly father in a care home on Xmas eve and they had signs up about norovirus. Did the normal stuff for the rest of xmas eve and most of yesterday then it hit me, spent most of last night awake and slept most of today but starting to feel a bit better.

Being on your own and not well is the worst feeling so get well soon.

whitleyjohn20
    Free Member

If still feeling ropey tommorow, go the chemist and get some sachets of Diarolyte. It repalces salts and sugars which are lost in a bout of illness. If you google Diarolyte, you’ll find out all about it.

globalti
    Free Member

Avoid dairy products; some types of food poisoning bacteria thrive in dairy products. Avoid and starve them out. Diarolyte is good but a glass of sugary water or Coke with a small pinch of salt is nearly the same thing.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

just drink loads water and don’t take anything, it’ll pass

freeagent
    Free Member

Diarolyte is a good call, but if you can’t get any you could use a non-carbonated sports-drink mixed 50:50 with water..

As the others have said, got to clear everything out, and re-introduce food slowly. make sure you keep hydrated, aim for at least 2L of water a day, and more if you are sh*ting/vomiting.

PePPeR

I’m sat here wide awake cos my other half is puking down the toilet and when she’s not there my 12yr old Son is!

Did you know that Norovirus affects O positive people more than other bloody types? NHS direct says so! Perhaps me being B positive I may not get it! (fat chance me thinks).

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

good luck PePPeR!

all well here now (i hope!) – managed a chicken sandwich last night with no real ill effects, and was actually hungry this morning for the 1st time since xmas day, so have had some cereal.

will not be looking to repeat that for a while!

Drac

Forget this drink flat coke rubbish, small amount of water often and no food for 24 hours. I’ll be gone then for sure, don’t worry about the dehydration thing unless you’ve been ill for a few days 24 hours isn’t going to make you badly dehydrated if you have a reasonably good health.

donsimon
    Free Member

Forget this drink flat coke rubbish, small amount of water often and no food for 24 hours. I’ll be gone then for sure, don’t worry about the dehydration thing unless you’ve been ill for a few days 24 hours isn’t going to make you badly dehydrated if you have a reasonably good health.

Interesting pov. When I suffered from gastronenteritis a few years ago I tied the drinking small amounts of water cure, that you seem to think is the only way, and puked it up immediately. Flat Coca Cola, which had previously been discussed with a medical professional with regard to being a hangover cure, was given consideration as being an effective aid to recovery as it provided liquid, gave the body some sugars and lined the stomach in preparation for eating.
    What I do know is that after 36 odd hours of vomitting, shitting, sleeping and not eating or drinking I could hardly walk more than 100m. The body told me when it was ready to consume and was bgeinning the recovery process, Coca Cola was drunk and within a couple of hours toast was being consumed.
    Simply rubbishing something that both works and has the support of a medical professional only raised doubts, for me, of you own knowledge and attitude.
    I’ll be continuing with the Coca Cola, thanks.

Drac

So after 36 hours it was the coke that did it and not that after 36 hours it had finally wore off. Continue with the coke but it’s fluids that work, avoiding the coke is to try and avoid the sugar in it as feeding the bacteria will make it last longer. As medical professional it’s what I’ve given advice to do for patients now over 20 years. I’ve been amazed at how many have picked up on this coke thing and have wondered why it hasn’t improved. Hours after dropping the coke and just having water they’ve improved. Hence why I rubbish the coke thing.

donsimon
    Free Member

Sorry, but according to my doctor that is pie in the sky, rubbish as the body needs the sugar.

Drac

Funny how things differ, I’ll stick with my method then you stick with you witchcraft.

donsimon
    Free Member

Why witchcraft? Do you always ridicule other povs? That in itself would make me doubt your ability.
    Have a good ‘un yourself.

Drac

You’re a very serious chap.

anc
    Free Member

Flat coke is a wifes tale, the caffeine may make it worse if your sensitive to it(sisters a consultant), just keep hydrated with water and off the food for 24hrs, then slowly introduce plain foods avoiding any thing your intolerant to.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

just keep hydrated with water

This.

And as for the “healing vibes”, it’s a tummy upset FFS, I don’t often say it but MTFU. 😐

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I was told many years ago wehen I had a similar problem just to drink water if possible, and to starve for 24 hours after you’d ‘run out’.

Yes, it will end eventually…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

AS ohnohesback says most definately! Don’t need sugar for 24 horus of vomiting that’s just rubbish.

PePPeR

Well, I ended up with it too. I’ve been sleeping solidly apart from the getting up to the toilet for 14 hours and am now feeling a little better, have finally managed to keep some paracetamol down, so the headache and temperature are lifting.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘stomach bug – what do i do? :(’ is closed to new replies.