Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stomach ache, what feels like a lump on abs. Hernia?
  • willard

For the last few days I’ve had a nagging pain in my stomach area. Sort of comes and goes but is about the centerline of the stomach area and just to the left. No problem says I. probably just the chillis I ate last week.

Anyway, Saturday night I was getting a little worried and was trying to find out whether I had any masses in there that I could feel, when I felt a lump on/between one of my abs (cunningly concealed in a nice layer of shock absorbing lard). Not sure if it moves or not, but it feels to be about two fingers long and about a finger wide. It doesn’t feel especially hard or overly soft, just… normal. Slightly painful if I put a bit of pressure on it.

Now, I’ve been doing a fair amount of weights at the gym recently and I was wondering if it could be a hernia. Not wanting to bother the GP with anything minor like a bit of tummy ache, I thought I’d ask Singletrack.

Any ideas?

grum
    Free Member

Just go to a GP FFS.

ultracoach
    Free Member

Are you serious?
    Since when has stomach ache caused lumps???????
    Doctors train for many years…..they do not become doctors for us to self diagnose; Your doc would rather send you away with a clean bill of health than listen to you explain why you never went to see them when potentially something more serious was occuring.
    Get a grip and get to your doctors!

molgrips
    Free Member

Chillis causing stomach pains for over a week? You daft sod 🙂

willard

They were quite hardcore chillis, and did prove to be the gift that kept giving.

Ok, will call the GP and see if they have a free slot this year. I hate the place. Full of ill people.

molgrips
    Free Member

Full of ill people

Like you!

Admiralable
    Free Member

I’m really feeling the love in the room!

willard

Well, GP said it might be one of two things.

Most likely: Liponoma (aka hard fatty cells resulting from an impact of some sort) – Benign, MTFU

Less likely: Hernia.

I’m now on the list for an ultrasound in either case, but I’ve been told that if I am suddenly in a lot of pain and feel the lump get magically bigger, then head to A&E sharpish.

Given that it’s likely to be not very much, I’m off to the gym tonight to see if I can get some weights in. it seems only sensible.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is the gym near the hospital?

ourmaninthenorth

Most likely: Liponoma

Lipoma

I counted up 10 of these on me the other day. Last time I asked the doc, she said “It’s gristle – nothing to worry about”.

midlifecrashes

Have had a lipoma removed, it wasn’t a biggie, done on a local by GP. Won’t be asking doctor to make me a suit though, his sewing was a mess. As above just a ball of gristle.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

I had a small lump and look what they did to me

now visit nurse every day to have a wound packed and kept me from riding for 3 weeks

sorry for graphic detail

Liftman

^^^^^^^ thanks I’ve just finished my tea, that just what I wanted to see 😕

Suggsey
    Free Member

If it helps it could just be a ruptured muscle too, I tore the centre of my abs along a 8″ length and I now have a bulge that is uniform in shape, 10″ long and at its widest point 3″ wide. Doc had a prod and a poke and told me that they could open me up and sticth it but if it tore again it would be into 4 pieces giving me double rips that really could never be restitched so I went with the MTFU option and a cool party trick that makes people heave when I lay on my back and lift my head to produce the bulge.
    Thats what comes of having a major MTB stack and not checking yourself over properly afterwards.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Alternatively it might be something to worry about. GP said my lump was nothing to worry about, I insisted on it being removed which once histology were done with it lead to a diagnosis of non Hodgkin’s lymphoma,radiotherapy and quarterly checkups.

If you have lumps get them checked out.

willard

Well, just had an ultrasound and the survey said… It’s a hernia.

Joy. Deep, deep joy.

Looks like there is a defect in the muscle and some of the tissue from the inside has come through to the outside. Thankfully not any bowel, but still annoying all the same. It’s also “insiduous” apparently, and appears to have doing it’s thing for a while now.

On the plus side, the ultrasoundist said I am quite muscley on my stomach and have very little subcutaneous fat, so that helped cheer me up.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Ah, all that muscle they’ll have to dig though to patch up the hernia!

Only joking.

I’ve had one, now have a kevlar patch looking after the weakness. Chicks love the scar too.

willard

Already have a lot of scars, I think my wife gets tired of me saying that too…

However, the idea of having a bit of geek technology in my sounds good. Not that I’m jealous, but the wife has a steel rod in her leg from when she broke it, so this is a chance to get something cool.

(I was far more jealous when I thought she had a titanium rod though…)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Bullet proof man, bullet proof.

(admittedly in one very small area!!!!)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stomach ache, what feels like a lump on abs. Hernia?’ is closed to new replies.