Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • STOLEN: White 18" Inbred commuter, carbon fork, XT groupset – Rutherglen,Glasgow
  • JackHardcore
    Free Member

As title, my inbred was stolen from outside my flat this morning between 7am and 12pm.

Build exactly as per the pic but with black bonty grips, not the brown ones.

Taken from right outside my front door, a 4th floor flat in Rutherglen, Glasgow.

If anyone see’s it anywhere please give me a shout, I only just finished building it a few weeks back 🙁

cyclistm
    Free Member

Quite distinctive, hope you find it.

JackHardcore
    Free Member

Me too, thanks.

JackHardcore
    Free Member

Bump!

nick1962
    Free Member

You must be gutted.Must be worse when you’ve put so much effort into it too.Lovely bike hope you get it back or at least are covered by insurance.
    A warning to others though.
    Keep your bike inside your flat,locked and properly insured.

JackHardcore
    Free Member

Yeah I’m pretty gutted, makes me sick that people just help themselves to other’s stuff that we work hard to own.

Thankfully M&S home insurance are covering it.

JackHardcore
    Free Member

Well thought I would post up a quick update.

No sign of the bike at all, hardly suprising really.

M&S insurance put me on to a company called Wheelies to value my bike with a view to replacing it like for like. I nearly choked when the guy called back and stated that, based on RRP for all components, they valued it at £1974! 😯

They couldnt supply the same frame and forks so offered an alternative which I didn’t want.

M&S just called back to say as wheelies couldnt supply like for like they will settle the claim in full for £1974 minus excess, so £1924 should be in my bank within 5 days!

So, another £5-600 going on another commuter build and some of the rest on beefing up security with ground anchors and CCTV of the area the bike’s going to be kept.

For once I’m truely gobsmacked by the ease and excellent service received even though morally I feel quite bad receiving such a huge amount for a bike that cost me less than 1/3 to build 😕 😆

wwaswas

bit of a result then…ish.

ittaika
    Free Member

sorry to hear about the theft – at least the insurance have paid up though.

did they cut through the stair railings to get it? happened to a friend of mine – no bike and knackered stairs =(

JackHardcore
    Free Member

Bumping this up, dont suppose anyones seen it?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I hope you build exactly the same bike mate, that looks a lovely build! I know it’s probably a little innapropriate but are the City Jets, and if so, what size? Was thinking of getting some carbon forks for mine and some slicks. Just think that looks ace. Glad you got a good outcome for the insurance.

Mark

Gary_M
    Free Member

No not seen it and I work in the Gorbals. However since you already conned the insurance out of approx £1200 is it not a bit greedy to want the bike back too?

hora
    Free Member

Wow. I feel sorry for the insurers. If this was car insurance you’d have massive premiums for years. I wonder when insurers will catch on finally to bicycle claims and put a raft of exclusions on paying out? I know M&S tightened up some of their clauses recently but it should put an end to people leaving bikes in sheds or outside the house.

Liftman

not his bike anymore, belongs to the insurance company now if it turns up.

richmtb

but it should put an end to people leaving bikes in sheds or outside the house.

What’s wrong with keeping your bike in a shed if its well secured?

And if you insure your bike on that basis then you will pay the appropriate premium and be covered for any loss, is that not how insurance works

richmtb

glitchy post

hora
    Free Member

There are just TOO MANY stories of ‘look out folks- taken from Shed or garage’.

House only for me- if they get in there- what else can you do?

Never ever outside or ontop of my car in a motorway services or anywhere unseen.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think stating that keeping your bike in the garage or shed is the wrong thing to do is a little naive. Surely we should be able to store items in our own property without expecting them to be stolen.

Some people have nice houses and don’t really want bikes cluttering them up.

hora
    Free Member

You think I don’t totally agree? Why can’t our property- our hard-earned property be safe in the right storage space (thats ideal for them)?

Scum don’t know the rights and wrongs.

I’ve got a brick-built shed attached to the house, a huge wooden shed and a greenhouse.

My bike lives in the house (well the wheels live outside). If I get a road bike not a chance in hell will the thing live outside the house. Sadly.

xiphon
    Free Member

M&S paid me 2013 RRP price, for a 12 year old frame (with 5-6 year old components on it).

Ended up with about £2.6k in the bank a few days later! (Nearly fell off my chair!)

A week later, I see an identical (although different colour) on eBay… for £150. New bike cost about £400 to build, for near-identical spec to the one that got pinched… so £2.2k profit! Madness!

trail_rat
    Free Member

hora – what about the thread only a few down where the bike was stolen from the house – and it isnt the first.

doesnt matter where you put it if its not secure its not secure.

hora
    Free Member

Yep and I posted in that. If they get into your house (say if its locked)- then there is nowhere safe. Going into a house is another level in thievery IMO. If I was in or came into the house – then I’ll use everything that falls to hand to defend myself and property.

You don’t tend to live in the shed or be walking into it frequently.

Gary_M
    Free Member

And people wonder why insurance premiums are so high 🙄

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Wonder how many feeves have cottoned on to the likes of mapmyride etc and know where people start/finish their rides? Especially when labelled “home” ?

JackHardcore
    Free Member

Gary_M

No not seen it and I work in the Gorbals. However since you already conned the insurance out of approx £1200 is it not a bit greedy to want the bike back too?

I Conned!!??? Get off your high horse, I’ve had this policy for nearly 8 years now and this is my first claim (bar a £150 lost pair of sunglasses) on it! The insurance policy is new for old, they came up with the number not me and if you must know I actually fully explained what I HAD paid to build the bike up, it’s neither here nor there to them, they have to pay like for like!

Do you want me to apologise for the fact my bike was stolen and I had a good insurance policy!? 🙄

Oh and for the record my M&S premium is now £38.43 a month to £21.65 previously so I’l end up paying it back anyway in increased premiums eventually. 😯

And lastly I was told if the bike was ever recovered to give them a call, they would probably be willing to sell it back to me at a very reasonable fair market value. I loved that bloody bike and would love to get it back!

Twazzock!

BoardinBob

Never ever outside or ontop of my car in a motorway services or anywhere unseen.

This is the bit that always gets me. The bikes are never out of my sight. Would you strap £2,000 in bank notes to the back of your car and bugger off for a coffee, or leave £2,000 in a holdall chained to a railing in a flat landing.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘STOLEN: White 18" Inbred commuter, carbon fork, XT groupset – Rutherglen,Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.