Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • STOLEN – Well not this time! :-)
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

At the end of June my bike was stolen from the garden shed.

Last night I heard the new shed alarm go off, looked out of the window and could see the hasp was still securely locked. Went outside to have a closer look just to be sure, and the B@stards had taken the hinges off (ie spent quite some time taking 12 screws out).

Quick check inside the shed and nothing missing though 🙂

Rang the Police and within 3 minutes 1 policeman is with me and 2 patrols are searching the area. Unfortunately they didn’t find anyone but they took it very seriously.

Didn’t sleep much the rest of the night, but at least nothing has gone !

The Police said that the timescales fit in with when they normaly come back for the insurance replacement, but they also think they wont be back again now as its not worth the risk of being disturbed again.

Today though I need to round off all the screws on the door hinges, and put additional bolts through them.

erny
    Free Member
    ram13man
    Free Member

And mount a sentry gun ….. 🙂

therag
    Free Member

Very lucky! Can you put a few pir lights up, shine them into the house when set off.

Wally

Bolts and an old D lock set into Bucket of post balast is a very cheap way of slowing things down. Sort this out pronto. Also an electric screwdriver could do that number of screws in 1min, possibly…

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

glad to here all your bikes are safe 🙂 give your local screwfix a try seam to remember they have quite a good range of anti theft nuts,bolts and screws.

edit damn beaten to it type to slow

oldgit
    Free Member

Good one.
    Yeah screw heads are a weak point. You can get screws with a plain pan head, but I think they come up quite big?

Couple of ways, but not exactly a few minutes DIY.
    Screw metal plates onto the shed for the hinges, then weld the hinges to the plate, either hiding the screws or putting a blob of weld on them.
    Or dribble solder into the slots, makes its very hard to get them undone.

andywoods
    Free Member

you need to put a bolt through each of the hinges door and frame side preferably the kind with a domed head and square neck on the outside so they cant be undone apart from the inside.

footflaps

I fitted hinge bolts to my shed.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you out interest? Just in case the thieving b^^^^ds fancy a go at my shed!

brakes
    Free Member

what alarm have you got?

Dancake
    Free Member

Try to make your alarm inaccessible too. My mate’s alarm sent some scumbags packing one night. A few days later his bikes were gone.

The scrotes spent enough time on the first attempt to locate the alarm so they could smash it within seconds when they came back. They unscrewed the hinges too so sort that

edit. I fancy one of these Trip wire operated shotgun blanks

toxicsoks
    Free Member

One of these –

You need of these.

scaredypants

good to see that health & safety has approved toxicsoks’ device there

llamaknob
    Free Member

All of the above then wire your steel frame to the mains switchboard with jumper cables and you wont need a sentry light(bastards)ggrrr

soundninjauk

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQDy-5IQvuU[/video]

passtherizla
    Free Member

Can you get hinges that go on the inside?

these look worthwhile…

shed security

MrAgreeable

Do all of the above, also obscure your shed windows if you have any (you can buy frosting spray which will do this).

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-to-toughen-up-your-bike-shed-part-1-21131/

Then move your decent bikes inside the house and replace with a couple of skipped Apollos, with a note affixed saying “HA HA”.

project
    Free Member

As i used to build sheds, and now fit security stuff, a few tips,

Descent locks and descent hasp and staple , use a padlock with a close shackle, so they cant prise it open,

use bolts throught the hinges with penny washers on the outside and inside of the bolts,

Secure the roof down from the inside using Builders band, from the apex down the sides of the walls.

Cover the windows with curtains and metal bars or strong mess use long screws or bolts to secure it.

fit a shed alarm,

fontmoss
    Free Member

llamaknob
    Free Member
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘STOLEN – Well not this time! :-)’ is closed to new replies.