Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stolen phone – cheapest option for replacement
  • olddog

My phone has been nicked, partly my fault for leaving on a table in cafe. Went back 5 mins later and it had already gone. Account blocked, phone blacklisted, all passwords changed.

Assuming it’s gone for good, whats the cheapest way to get a replacement. I’m about 12 months into a two year contract. Buy a sim free or anyone had any luck blagging one out of provider?

mikey74
    Free Member

Household insurance? Do you get any mobile phone insurance with your bank account? I know Lloyds Platinum includes it and I’m sure others do too.

SH one off ebay?

Jamie
    Free Member

If it was an android, then get a Moto G for £100-ish. If it was an iPhone, then house insurance to replace if possible.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I was given a voucher for a free one from Sainsbury’s . Cost me 30 quid in fuel. Or buy one of those tenner ones and get it unlocked. In fact you can get them for 99p with a tenners credit.

olddog

Thanks for the advice.

I need a reasonable phone for as need to access email, web on the go. And use for twitter etc. First one I’ve lost, would have to be a bloody HTC one.

Will check on house insurance, but I think the excess plus increaed oremium will make it not worth it as the premium on the contract for the phone is about £15 a month x13 months. I think I may just have to suck it up.

Moto g looks like a good value option.

alanl
    Free Member

Quickest/Cheapest way – buy a £10/£20 PAYG phone, or ask someone you know for one of their old ones.
    I’ve probably got 5 here now, you’re welcome if you want one.

drewd

Like many others on here suggest, the Moto G. I got the 8gb one for £89 from Tesco (£10 discount for 1st Tesco Direct purchase), then paid £2.03 for an unlock code from eBay. Less than 20 minutes later my new phone was happily working with my giffgaff sim.

For the money you will struggle to beat it, and in the 2 months I have had it it has impressed me.

RustyMac

Just because your phone was stolen doesn’t mean you can use your contract. Get a new sim from your provider and get either a 2nd hand slightly older handset or that Motorola every one is on about above and put your sim in that.

If you contact your provider they will be able to advise if you will need a new number or what not but you should still be able you utilise the contract you are paying for.

andyl
    Free Member

you shouldnt need a new number if the sim is blocked. Just get a new sim for that account and the number should work.

What kind of place do you work in?

dryroasted
    Free Member

Ive just got a sim from ovivo, cant believe im never gonna get another mobile phone bill ever, its great

Cougar

you shouldnt need a new number

The only time you need a new number is when a salesman lies to you in order to get more commission.

Cougar

Ive just got a sim from ovivo

That’s incredible. What’s the catch?

vooomvooom
    Free Member

moto G is great!

Cougar

Ah.

we’re the UK’s only mobile network paid for by advertising and m-commerce.

Whilst you’re browsing the web on your phone, you’ll occasionally be taken to OVIVO Now! – our portal with the latest information about your allowance and our service. You’ll also discover some adverts from our sponsors. This is a bit like an advertisement break on the TV, or in a magazine. To continue browsing the web, you can press the ‘Continue’ button at the bottom of the page after five seconds.

It’s worth noting that advertising is a key part of the OVIVO Mobile service, so you won’t be able to use VPNs or other services that bypass advertising whilst you’re using OVIVO. You also shouldn’t use any ad blocking software whilst on the OVIVO network.

scotroutes

Oh dear Cougar. Confine yourself to barracks

dryroasted
    Free Member

ovivo is great it you live in a rural location and you dont get 3g anyway, basically you just turn off mobile data and you get 250 mins of calls and texts every month for free, I browse internet on wifi or bt hotspot with no adverts at all

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stolen phone – cheapest option for replacement’ is closed to new replies.