Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • STOLEN – Merc Vito Camper, Dalkeith
  • honeybadgerx

Joint owned campervan of my in-laws and myself was stolen over the weekend from the Dalkeith area. Fairly distinctive (in that it’s not a T5), it’s a white extra long wheelbase Vito, YA55 PKN, Reimo pop-up roof, usual side conversion inside with rock & roll bed.

It was in my better half’s cousins garage for some work and they had a number of vehicles taken, including mine, arse!

Will try and post pics etc. later (I don’t use flickr, what’s best for this?), should you stumble across it please let me know. In the meantime I’m off to shout and swear in a closed room.

d45yth
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about this! Were all the vehicles campers?

honeybadgerx

Still waiting to hear exact details, the garage is a coachworks so most of the stuff they have in is commercial, but I think a few cars were taken as well.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I work in Dalkeith and travel round the area a fair bit
    If you could post a pic that’d be handy

bearnecessities

Email me piccies (address in profile) and I’ll post ’em up if you like.

Pigface
    Free Member

Is your better halfs cousin financially viable? Sorry but it sounds a bit dodgy to me.

honeybadgerx

@bear – thanks, at work at the mo but will take you up on that later.

@pigface – thanks for your insinuations, but no.

project
    Free Member

Big claim off the insurance then, but then thats what its there for.

Pigface
    Free Member

Didn’t insinuate anything just asked a question, sorry if it offended you.

wwaswas

Sorry but it sounds a bit dodgy to me.

just asked a question

🙄

Pigface
    Free Member

🙄 ??? Sorry it does sound dodgy, if you are going to take the risk and rob a place then I dont think a converted camper would be first on my list of vehicles to rob. Certainly not implying his other halfs cousin knows anything about it.

hora
    Free Member

Big claim off the insurance then, but then thats what its there for.

Off the garages commercial insurance. NOT your own of course.

totalshell

must have been a BIG vehicle to shift a few commercials motorhomes etc..id suggest getting down petrol stations wuthin 10 miles most have cctv and anpr.. the first thing they ll want to do is fill her up if taking it away..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Or several people.

bearnecessities

I suspect the STW collective are not really closing in one this one 😀

honeybadgerx

@bear – Just emailed you some photos if you wouldn’t mind posting them up, again, much appreciated.

Just back from the in-laws and my other half’s uncle (original owner of the business) was round giving the details; they’d broken into the offices, blown the safes to get keys, then used one transit as a battering ram from the inside to take down the gates. They’d then pretty much trashed the place and seemed to have filled up the vehicles they took with tools, old batteries, copper wire, whatever they could get hold of really. From my experience of vehicles being taken from construction sites, with an organised job like this I expect everything will be in Ireland by now and never seen again.

bearnecessities

Apologies for delay; junk folder to blame.

Here are the relevant pictures (one is not relevant)

honeybadgerx

Thanks Rich, and you’re right, the pic with the towel hanging out the roof doesn’t really add anything 🙂

matt_outandabout

Oh, i don’t know. The towel adds a certain je ne sais quoi.

I hope you get it back.

ElShalimo

honeybadgerx

– Did you ever find the van?

We had ours nicked last month and the police don’t really know where they end up. They’re useless as a van so the criminals can’t go stealing motorbikes or stuff. One PC reckons they end up in Eastern Europe but as RHD vehicles they’re not that useful.

honeybadgerx

You got me all excited then! No joy, to be honest I think one of the main reasons it was taken was that they thieves were also stealing loads of tools, etc. So wanted the space to fill up. My experience of construction plant thefts is that most are in Ireland or France within 24 hours and re sprayed/plated or stripped for parts. Hope you have better luck with yours! After some wangling we got the insurers to pay out the full value following a well worded letter, let me know if you’re struggling and I’ll dig it out.

ElShalimo

Sorry to hear it never came back.
    Ours was nicked off the driveway when we were away skiing. Police basically told us organised gangs have all the high and low tech tools they need and if they really want it, they’ll just take it. The house wasn’t broken into, nobody got hurt and we’re insured but it’s still awful.
    I think we’ll be entering the “negotiation” stage with the insurers soon so I might take up your kind offer.
    It’s so frustrating as it took us 6 months to find our van and we’d only had it 8months.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘STOLEN – Merc Vito Camper, Dalkeith’ is closed to new replies.